Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - Patel

Hi Guys,

Bit of a pickle here and I've searched high and low but am no closer to finding a budget run around car. Here's my requirements:

- Automatic transmission

- Has to be economical and cheap to tax

- Usage - 30 mile round commute Monday-Friday, mainly A roads but highest speed I will ever get up to is around 50MPH and it won't be a long stretch (lots of roundabouts). Could get quite a bit of stop-start traffic on certain days hence the requirement for automatic. I will do the odd motorway run on weekends which should clear the DPF if that's a factor.

- Budget 4-5K max

- Need something nippy and capable of not frustrating the heck out of my speed wise.

- Size wize - prefer a hatchback but not averse to a saloon.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - Happy Blue!

Sounds like you want something which may not exist. A Japanese diesel automatic.

Most diesel automatics are larger cars which are not that economical, but better than their petrol counterparts. European diesel automatics in smaller cars are probably limited to VW group (Golf, A3, Octavia) but you will want a slushbox for reliability rather than a DSG.

Alternatively look for a used Prius?

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - 72 dudes

As your commute is 7500 miles per year, I'd be looking at petrol automatics.

Your budget means that more recent efficient petrol engines are out of reach but you should probably look at things like Honda Jazz or old shape Civic, Toyota Yaris or Corolla, possibly one of the original Nissan Notes.

Thanks - I'll have a look out for them.

Any other suggestions welcome :)

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - veryoldbear

On a medium-length commute it is always worth bearing in mind that on a cold winter morning (like wot it is as we speak) a diesel is going to take a fair proportion of the journey warming through, which means a) the much-vaunted low consumption isn't happening, and b) you are still demisting and waiting for heat five miles down the road.

Petrol it is then. Just need to find something thats petrol and economical.

The cars a previous poster provided is a good start.

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - John F

We have a 2000 Focus 1.6 petrol auto; an ex 'motability' car, bought at 28,000m. It seems indestructible and apart from a rear wheel bearing nothing has gone wrong in nearly 90,000 miles. It is probably worth peanuts so we're not selling but there must be lots available for little money.

Driven carefully it does about 40mpg. The downside is £200plus road tax but put that against virtually nil depreciation after 10yrs.

Was considering a Prius. Would that be psosible to get in automatic at all?

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - TeeCee

Was considering a Prius. Would that be possible to get in automatic at all?

They are all "automatic". Two pedals, go and stop. A small joystick selects Drive, Reverse, Neutral (very rarely required) or engine Braking (for hill descent). There's a button for Park.

Nothing to write home about for performance in most circumstances, but quite zippy off the mark due to the torque from the electric motor. If your commute is mostly in traffic, I think you'd be quite pleased with one.

Edited by TeeCee on 11/12/2012 at 13:54

Cool Ill have a look. I remember reading the economy on them was pretty good aswell.

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - unthrottled

Can't believe I'm saying this, but another vote for the Pious. Is there enough headroom for the eco halo? :)

With an ordinary petrol, you have to be realistic about economy-especially with an auto. Diesels are popular for a reason.

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - TR7
Daihatsu Materia proper auto box and Japanese reliability. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it. Dare to be different. Wife's got one its never missed a beat.
Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - Canon Fodder

Skoda Fabia 1.4 petrol Auto ticks a few boxes I'd say...

Budget Automatic Run Around - Help!! - fffffred

How about a Fiat Panda petrol auto - cheap as chips (plenty of low mileage examples under £3K) and a surprisingly good drive. You can use the spare change to have a decent holiday.

Avoid the older Prius (Priii?) - running costs are a big worry, and they are not that economical in cold weather.