Astra Mk5 1.6 Twinport - Refund for Repairs to Used Car - Astra Owner 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some advice on how to go about getting a refund for repairs to a car that I bought 8 weeks ago. From the day I bought the car I have had issues with the car having no heating and losing coolant.

I have been in contact with the dealer who sold me the car and they arranged for the thermostat to be replace with a local garage that they use, on the drive home from the garage the engine management light came on and has remained on ever since. This didnt solve the problem with the heating so I agreed with the dealer to take it to my local mechanic who replaced the water pump, this solved the issue, however my mechanic noticed that the switch on the new thermostat was damaged so repaired it for me but advised that I would need another new thermostat. The car now has heating but has also being losing coolant consistently since I've had it (about an inch from the header tank each week) this is still an outstanding issue.

The car had a warranty with lawdata (3 month warranty/£300 limit) and I claimed for the cost of the work (£260.00) I have today heard from lawdata that the dealer is only willing to pay £160 for the cost of repairs.

Am I within my rights to demand full payment for the work already carried out and claim for cost of future work to establish why the car is losing coolant?

Thanks in advance for your help

Edited by Astra Owner 2012 on 22/11/2012 at 09:29

Astra Mk5 1.6 Twinport - Refund for Repairs to Used Car - 72 dudes

You say the car had the problem from Day 1.

So the car was not of "satisfactory quality" or indeed "fit for purpose".

So the dealer is responsible for the total cost of repairs, regardless of the warranty you have. This will include future work relating to the coolant loss.

I would write to the dealer, detailing that under the Sale Of Goods Act 1979, he is responsible. You may want to include a clause which says that if he does not respond within 5 days you are prepared to contact a solicitor or take him to Small Claims Court, in which case he will be responsible for the cost of repairs and court costs.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Astra Mk5 1.6 Twinport - Refund for Repairs to Used Car - skidpan

If its a 2012 Astra its still under the Vauxhall warranty. Just get them to sort it.

Astra Mk5 1.6 Twinport - Refund for Repairs to Used Car - 72 dudes

If its a 2012 Astra its still under the Vauxhall warranty. Just get them to sort it.

I took him to mean it was a second-hand Astra (2004 - 2010) and Astra 2012 was just his screen name?!