Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - Tyrant

Just hired a VW POLO.

When I switch engine on --light switch fully left on "O" the headlights come on--nothing else.

If I turn light switch to middle position--two lights back to back symbol --headlights go out and front side lights come on--- nothing else.

These seem better as DRLs BUT they stay on when the engine is switched off and a buzzer sounds !!!

Fully right seems to operate lights as normal front and rear,

Is that how they should be? Am I supposed to remember to turn to middle position every time if I want to run on sides not heads all day so as to save fuel and the planet ? Not very green is it.

Or have I got it all wrong.

Thanks

Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - 1litregolfeater

Gawd knows, cars are basically all the same so manufacturers will do anything to be different. It does sound flippin ridiculous

Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - Auristocrat

The sons of my neighbour have got diesel Polos each. The 11 reg doesn't have DRL's. The 61 reg does and the lighting is as described in the post.

Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - Paul87

Thats spot on. I have had two 6R polos (10 plate and 62) they both work as you describe. The DRL on this car use the same bulbs as dipped headlights, unless you have the xenons.

I noticed with '0' the dipped bulbs are on but a reduced output, if you park against a wall at night or genrally drive aroud you will notice they are quite abit dimmer. Also on this setting your rear lights and number plate lights are on as well again at dimmer setting than the dipped postion.

Personally never bothered with the sidelight setting on these cars, cant really see much point in reducing the visibility of the car.

If the DRLs annoy, you can disbale them as describe in the manual, although i dont know if you can do that anymore on the later models.

Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - S40 Man

I have this sort of thing on my S40 with the added disadvantage of no buzzer when opening the door. This means if you want to run sidelights only you have to remember to turn them off yourself. Full main beam goes off with ignition but sidelights styay on.

After a flat battery from not checking I now always leave them on main beam setting. Maybe thats the point of the no buzzer?

Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - MikeTorque

It's VWs version of a cheap and dirty solution implementation of DRLs on the currently Polo.

When I drive this car I turn the light switch to side lights, saves headlight bulbs from blowing more often and saves a little energy and hence less fuel and less pollution. If I forget to turn them off when I park the buzzer sounds to reminder me to turn them off, and when I then return to the car I have to turn the light switch again, in daylight, nuts !

In addition if the headlamps are used as DRLS it causes the headlamp bulbs to blow sooner than they otherwise would. Also changing a headlamp bulb on a VW Polo means having to take out the front light cluster before being able to gain access to disconnect the headlight bulb connector, not a job you want to be faced with in the dark. Nuts and nuts again.

Volkswagen Polo - DRLs on Polo - chewer1

The DRL's on my Jan '10 Polo annoyed me at first but the option to turn them off doesn't work and I'm now used to them. My only problem is that despite DRL's having been around for years some people seem to think I have flashed them to pull out ...........and they do !