Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - jaqi4

I know that car manufacturers arrange very extreme conditions when they are calculating running costs for their new cars but I am really fed up with the consumption on my new multiair 1450 Guilietta! One of my main reasons to buy this beautiful car was to have fun as well as a sensible consumption.The best I can get on combined , really steady driving in calm conditions on fairly empty road, with me alone in the car is 30.2mpg! Considering they advertise 37.2-64.2, then I must be doing something seriously wrong. I do think that, if any other item proved not to satisfy the description, I could return it; if I can prove that that is the maximum achievable,would the Trades Description Act not apply here?

Edited by jaqi4 on 18/11/2012 at 23:31

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - unthrottled

if I can prove that that is the maximum achievable,would the Trades Description Act not apply here?

No. The advertised fuel economy figure is well defined. You would need to prove that the car could not achieve the stated consumption on the New European Drive Cycle.

Unfortunately, the NEDC does not reflect average real world applications. But that is not the manufacturer's problem. They are obliged to use that test cycle and publish the figures.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - jaqi4

Thanks for your reply - Next time maybe I will try to test drive on the NEDC - ! Still a lovely car though...

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - gordonbennet

A good improver of economy driving...and i make no accusations or assumptions here as my own driving isn't perfect by any means...is to display the instant fuel consumption reading on the dash display and leave it on, if your car has this feature.

Its amazing how much you can improve your economy when you see just how low the consumption whilst under power is, and how high the figure raises once you lift off and allow the momentum to carry you up to the next junction, full throttle acceleration especially in lower gears will have your eyes bulging when you glance at the reading.

My years on lorries have taught me that terrain and road layout makes an incredible difference, the usual loaded motorway average consumption of 9mpg reduces to 5mpg overall on one particular trip where every single junction/roundabout exits in a long uphill climb...those figure percentage differences are similar for cars.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - Snakey

Out of the many,many cars I've owned one of the only ones that matched the Overall (Combined) consumption figure was a 2006 1.8 VVTi Vauxhall vectra - offiical figure was about 39.1 mpg and my real world mix of motorway/city matched that pretty steadily over 10k miles.

My current Kia Sportage quotes 39 mpg overall as well, best I can manage is 34!

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - 72 dudes

Still, 30.2 is pretty poor considering the OP says this is the best he can achieve when driving carefully.

A few obvious questions:

- how new is the car, and what's the mileage?

- have you raised your concerns with your supplying dealer?

- are there any Alfa Giulietta forums where other owners complain of poor fuel economy?

There does seem to be a pattern emerging with small engine/turbo petrol engines

What Car? ran a long term Astra 1.6T, only managed 31 MPG. Their 1.6T Focus only managed around 35 MPG, they replaced that with the new 3 cylinder 1.0T and that's strugling to get 36 MPG. Not great figures for modern cars and a mile away from the EU combined figures, which as unthrottled points out, is a test which uses an unrealistic set of parameters, and should only be used as a comparative guide between models.

The NEDC is so bad that I'm not convinced that it even works as a comparitive guide. ie a car that is rated at 65mpg might well return worse real world mileage than one rated at 58.

wrt real time fuel consumption readings, my opinion differs from Gordon's. I feel they are only really useful in steady state driving. It takes a fixed amount of useful work to accelerate a vehicle from rest to a fixed speed, irrespective of the rate of acceleration, but the instant mpg readout will vary depending on the rate of acceleration, leaving the driver trying to optimise an irrelevant and rapidly changing figure.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - Bobbin Threadbare

Ummm it's an Alfa. They eat petrol. I have never seen anywhere that Alfa claims to have any economical cars at all; that's part of their appeal! The cars are stunning and they don't give a monkey's whether they're 'green' or not.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - SteveLee

How can you manage only 30mpg out of such a tiny car? My 4 litre V8 jag and Citroën 3.0 V6 returned over 30 mpg on gentle runs (calculated brim to brim figures).

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - Avant

I'm no expert but it must be the type of engine rather than just the size of the car. Oddly enough all three cars in our household (2011 Octavia vRS petrol estate, 2012 Mini Cooper Roadster, 2001 BMW Z3 2.2) are roughly similar in consumption: about 30 in town, 36 on a long run.

That's creditable for the Skoda and BMW, less so for the Mini.

That's creditable for the Skoda and BMW, less so for the Mini.

If you want to move a 1.5 ton piece of metal at a certain speed after certain acceleration the only way you do that is to burn a certain amount of fuel to produce the power needed, or am i all wrong as usual?...mind you some chastisement of the good Lady A is called for re her leaden right foot..should never miss such an opportunity even if its not strictly true.:-)

I imagine our OP is driving quite hard to result in those figures even if he/she is unaware, thats why i mentioned using the instant readout, whilst making allowances for its failures, its a very good speed and acceleration resistor....it can also improve your smooth constant progress driving in that you actively look to make use of coasting/overrun which are free and to time junction approaches better to maintain speed and flow.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/11/2012 at 21:58

As a lorry driver (or is it trucker?!) you won't need any lessons in preserving momentum. Most drivers do. They understand the bit about about driving slowly-but they still can't understand that getting quickly to a red light is slower and thirstier than anticipating it-even if it doesn't change.

I'm still wary of the instant read-out though in stop start traffic. The mpg numbers rapidly change even though your average doesn't. An instant reading of 13mpg is nothing to worry about if you're accelerating away from a stop. Crawling away doesn't give you the instant terrible numbers but you get sub-cruising figures for longer because it takes you longer to get to speed. The overall change in economy is a wash. The fluctuating display can also be a mesmorising distraction.

Edit. I's agree with Gordon regarding the 30mpg though. Turbo petrols can make a lot of power with very little fuss, so it is quite easy to be chewing fuel without knowing it.

Edited by unthrottled on 19/11/2012 at 22:27

As a lorry driver (or is it trucker?!)

Edit. I's agree with Gordon regarding the 30mpg though. Turbo petrols can make a lot of power with very little fuss, so it is quite easy to be chewing fuel without knowing it.

36 years artics and counting, definately a lorry driver...though some might argue that never as long as i live..;)...truckers are Americans and those under that influence.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta - Running costs - Tonto1

Crikey Avant - Mini Cooper Roadster @ 30 MPG in town and 36MPG on a run? That's truly wrong (is Mrs A doing track days in it?). Eldest daughter gets 45 MPG on a busy M25 commute in her Cooper, the wife gets 38 MPG on her North London (5 mile each way) school run. The worst we've ever got out of the Mini is 34MPG and that was in the horrible sub zero weather we had the winter before last.

The best tip on fuel economy that I ever learned, is to read the road ahead and maximise the momentum you've burnt precious fuel to build up. Worst habit is accelerating up to a junction/lights and then having to over-use the brakes - poor fuel economy and increased wear and tear on numerous brake/suspension parts. I don't pretend to be a brilliant driver, but anyone can learn to improve the MPG they get - always assuming that's your priority. Sometimes, on those rare occasions when the sun's shining and the road is empty, it is just nice to (safely) put the hammer down!