Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - bigmaz

hi guys, looking at an Audi A4, 51 plate, 2.0 petrol just under 60k miles, FSH for £1995. Its not had its timing belt replaced, will it need one pretty soon? thought it was a good price.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - daveyjp
FSH, but never had the cambelt changed? If they can make such an error in an ad how much other stuff has never been changed?

Other items which maybe should have been changed over the last 11 years are: coolant, PAS fluid, brake fluid, pollen filter.

The belt will need doing, and considering other work which may be required I'd offer £1000.
Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - bigmaz

i went in to see the car, all the paperwork seemed in order regards to servicing, only one lady owner and low mileage. with the history, would b surprised if that other stuff would not have been kept up to date, i might b wrong tho. i didnt think it was unusual thta it did not have a timing belt change when its under 60k miles.am i wrong?

Cambelts are changed at a set mileage or time, whichever comes first. Audi is 4-5 years.
Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - John F
Cambelts are changed at a set mileage or time, whichever comes first. Audi is 4-5 years.

And what a con this advice is. If you pick your engines wisely and use them carefully when cold you need never change a cambelt. My current A6 2.8 is now 14yrs old and 122,000m. I have no intention of ever changing the belt unless it looks as though it needs changing or one of its driven components fails. [I inspect it every 10,000 or so and spray it with belt dressing.] It is a huge beefy belt that is only slightly smaller than the belt BMW uses to drive the rear wheel of a motorbike. All it does is spin a couple of tiny cam shafts, which in turn drive another couple of cams via a pair of chains which should also last the life of the engine.

I have never ever had a cambelt changed, unless it had to come off anyway [130,000m, Passat 2.0GL 5cyl water pump failure]. The petrol Passat after that did 240,000 on the original belt, although I did have to replace the squealy tensioner pulley before it fried the belt - an easy job but too difficult to replace the belt so I didn't - no need to.

Our humble 12yr old Focus belt still looks OK too - and so it should after only 90,000 or so.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - thunderbird

And what a con this advice is. If you pick your engines wisely and use them carefully when cold you need never change a cambelt. My current A6 2.8 is now 14yrs old and 122,000m. I have no intention of ever changing the belt unless it looks as though it needs changing or one of its driven components fails. [I inspect it every 10,000 or so and spray it with belt dressing.] It is a huge beefy belt that is only slightly smaller than the belt BMW uses to drive the rear wheel of a motorbike. All it does is spin a couple of tiny cam shafts, which in turn drive another couple of cams via a pair of chains which should also last the life of the engine.

I have never ever had a cambelt changed, unless it had to come off anyway [130,000m, Passat 2.0GL 5cyl water pump failure]. The petrol Passat after that did 240,000 on the original belt, although I did have to replace the squealy tensioner pulley before it fried the belt - an easy job but too difficult to replace the belt so I didn't - no need to.

Our humble 12yr old Focus belt still looks OK too - and so it should after only 90,000 or so.

Do do listen to this kind of advice. The poster is clearly as Troll as no normal person would suggest this.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - mss1tw
Do do listen to this kind of advice. The poster is clearly as Troll as no normal person would suggest this.

Certainly a very bizarre post

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - unthrottled

I don't think it's daft. Clumsy gear changes especially when the engine is cold put a lot of stress on cambelts. But with due diligence they can soldier on for many years.

Correct tension is key. Most people overtighten because they're frightened of the belt slipping. That shortens belt life. Leaking water pumps and oil pumps can contaminate the belt with glycol and oil which drastically shortens belt life.

If the belt periodically checked for tension, fraying and contamination, and you don't change gear like a learner, it'll probably outlive the car.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - Avant

"The poster is clearly as Troll as no normal person would suggest this."

Who are you saying is a troll, Thunderbird? The OP is simply asking for advice on buying a particular car.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - mss1tw

Who are you saying is a troll, Thunderbird? The OP is simply asking for advice on buying a particular car.

The author of the quoted message, I assume. Not the OP.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - thunderbird

The writier of the stupid post that says there is no need to change your cam belt of course.

I am advising the OP and others to take no notice of that post as it is a recipe for major expense.

How many posts do you see on here saying that the cam belt has broke, quite a few and all due to lack of maintenance.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - halmereincarnated
I must admit when the mechanic changed the cambelt on my wife's 60k mile Punto, the new one looked to be in exactly the same condition as the old one.
Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - halmereincarnated
But having said that I'd always change it on future cars in accordance with the service spec.
Belts generally fail due to a failure of another component such as a tensioner.

My old Toyota had a two piece timing belt cover. It was very easy to monitor the condition of the belt. Getting a single piece timing belt cover can be a real fiddle, making routine inspection an unalluring prospect.

Shame really.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - mark193

My old Toyota had a two piece timing belt cover. It was very easy to monitor the condition of the belt. Getting a single piece timing belt cover can be a real fiddle, making routine inspection an unalluring prospect.

Shame really.

I always buy JAP cars too.Forget your AUDI'S,VW'S etc, especially the newer stuff

Mark 193

As the old saying goes "you need to know the rules before you can break them". I wouldn't advise anyone not to change a timing belt on time, but if you know what to look out for then it should be ok. I'm not quite as confidant as Big John about belt longevity, but I certainly wouldn't describe him as a troll.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - skidpan

but if you know what to look out for then it should be ok.

But how many people out there are expert enough to know what to look for, most people who come on here with serious engine issues dont even bother to check the oil or water.

Add to that John F who stated this debate by stating he never changes a cam belt and never intends to says he checks his every 10,000 miles. Surely if you are going to follow his dangerous advice it would need checking way more frequently than that once the scheduled change date had passed.

If you cannot afford to or are not prepared to maintain the vehicle properly you should take a bus or taxi.

If you cannot afford to or are not prepared to maintain the vehicle properly you should take a bus or taxi.

What a silly statement-and why the vitriol? Time/money spent replacing a perfectly good belt could for more profitably used for oil changes, new tyres, new springs, new shocks etc. that would actually be useful to the vehicle.

The catastrophic nature of timing belt failure means that most of us are very cautious about replacing it 'on time'. But if your oil pump or water pump no longer has a good seal and the timing belt is contaminated, or the tensioner is on the way out, John F will discover this within 10,000 miles whereas you'll be waitiung for some arbitrarily large round number to appear on the odometer before changing the belt.. Got a bus pass?

What a silly statement-and why the vitriol?

No vitriol attched just common sense. People buy a car they cannot afford to run and then come on here moaning that it has let them down. Then you get a poster advising the OP who is contemplating buying himself a fresh motor to ignore the cam belt change because its uncessary. Wonder if the person offering the advice would be prepared to repair the OP's car when the cam belt breaks.

Have you noticed that the person making the crazy statement disappered after making it.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - Avant

John F is a regular who has been with us for longer than I have, and he's entitled to his opinion. Personally, being risk-averse by nature, I would disagree with him, and certainly the OP is best advised to play safe. But disagreement is more effective if done politely.

Have you noticed that the person making the crazy statement disappered after making it.

Not crazy - back now after a delightful couple of days in Nuremberg [and their airport doesn't close when there's snow!] and busy catching up at work.

I've been called a lot of things in my time, but never been libelled as a 'troll'! Apart from the brainless insults [how many of you insulters have physics 'A' level?] I am delighted with the debate so far. The most sensible contribution [as usual..and I don't know him/her at all] has come from 'unthrottled' - I guess probably a male.

I appreciate toothed cambelts don't 'slip' but there are actually tiny 'slips' of sliding friction as the metal teeth engage and disengage, and I contend that a bit of belt dressing might help to keep it from getting less brittle and dry with age. It's worked so far.

One of the key posts in this thread was the observation that the old belt looked as good as the new one. Let's hope it was made and fitted properly - there are numerous reports of belts dutifully and needlessly replaced which then fail within a mere 30,000 or so.

The only problem I can foresee is a potential compatibility problem with the rubber. Oils can make go rubber go soft at elevated temperatures ie when the engine is at normal temp. There's always a trade-off between embrottlement at cold temperatures and softening at high temperatures.

My preference is to minimise potential contamination. When the engine is cold I'm very gentle with it; no revving or labouring. Make up for it when it gets warm though. :)

The only problem I can foresee is a potential compatibility problem with the rubber. Oils can make go rubber go soft at elevated temperatures

My preference is to minimise potential contamination. When the engine is cold I'm very gentle with it; no revving or labouring. Make up for it when it gets warm though. :)

Quite so, 'unthrottled'. But I'm sure you know that cambelts aren't made of 'rubber' these days. I admit I don't know what the ingredients of my ancient can of Grako s***on belt dressing are but it doesn't feel very oily and I use it sparingly 'cos you can't get it now.

V good engine care advice, and ours have the additional protection of being mated to autoboxes which has saved them from the sharp rev changes of possibly insensitive previous drivers.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - mark193

but if you know what to look out for then it should be ok.

But how many people out there are expert enough to know what to look for, most people who come on here with serious engine issues dont even bother to check the oil or water.

Add to that John F who stated this debate by stating he never changes a cam belt and never intends to says he checks his every 10,000 miles. Surely if you are going to follow his dangerous advice it would need checking way more frequently than that once the scheduled change date had passed.

Brill answer !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good advice

Mark 193

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - Collos25

I don't think it's daft. Clumsy gear changes especially when the engine is cold put a lot of stress on cambelts. But with due diligence they can soldier on for many years.

Correct tension is key. Most people overtighten because they're frightened of the belt slipping. That shortens belt life. Leaking water pumps and oil pumps can contaminate the belt with glycol and oil which drastically shortens belt life.

If the belt periodically checked for tension, fraying and contamination, and you don't change gear like a learner, it'll probably outlive the car.

I do not think you can change the tension on the cambelt.

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - rebel

"I do not think you can change the tension on the cambelt."

Some you can, some you can't

VAG have used both manual and auto tensioners

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - focussed

"Spray it with belt dressing"

Uhhhh? - belt dressing is used for stopping vee-belts and flat belts slipping, how on earth is it going to be necessary to spray it on a timing belt?

"I do not think you can change the tension on the cambelt."

Some you can, some you can't

VAG have used both manual and auto tensioners

Which VAG engines use a manual adjusted tension mechanism?

Audi A4 - Audi A4 timing belt? - SteveLee

Mk1 and 2 Golfs (at least) had manual tensioners - I certainly remembering tensioning the belts with the good old-fashioned twist and tweak method!

Mk1 and 2 Golfs (at least) had manual tensioners - I certainly remembering tensioning the belts with the good old-fashioned twist and tweak method!

Correct.

Thanks for the info must have been very rare .

Thanks for the info must have been very rare .

Well they only made a few million. Fitted them in Audis as well.