nissan 2.00 td problem - breny
has ne 1 had ne probs with the fuel pump being contaminated by dirty fuel and water in the tank,while the warning light comes on.
i have been told that it is to late when the warning light comes on as the damage is allready done, can some one help on this matter,

thanks breny
nissan 2.00 td problem - IanT
Is the warning light the "Water In Diesel" warning?

If it is (and you have no other problems) then don't worry. A diesel's fuel filter is designed to trap water in the fuel before it reaches any critical parts of the engine. Get it drained - five minute job on most cars.

Ian
I mean drain the fuel filter, of course. Not the fuel tank.

Ian
nissan 2.00 td problem - breny
hi ian, i dont know if the light that came on is the water in the diesel light,it's just an icon on the dash that looks like an engine block,it glowes orange when there is a fault,the garage is telling me that by the time the light came on the damage was allready done.
so there is nothing i can do but pay up,they tell me that there is so much dirt in the tank that the pump is completly corroded and the tank needs replacing because they wont honour the warranty on the new pump if we dont geta new tank.
do u know if the filters in the tank can stop a large amount of debris ,that they say is in the tank,and if not why?,hope u can help thanks
bren
Sorry to hear that "drain fuel filter" won't work for you.

I am not familiar with the Nissan engine, so I can't give you any detailed advice. On the diesels I have dealt with, there are no filters in the fuel tank. The first thing the fuel reaches after leaving the tank is the fuel filter in the engine compartment, which should catch any debris or water passing through.

If the Nissan has a fuel pump between the tank and the engine compartment fuel filter then it will be unprotected. I don't think it likely the Nissan has a filter in the tank since you would not be able to replace it when it gets blocked.

Your only choices appear to be either pay up, or get a second opinion.

Do any other backroomers know anything about Nissan diesels?

Ian