audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - tonybcav

I have a audi a4 fsi 03 plate it's been in the garage for 24 hrs trying to find the cause of a random misfire on No 3 cyclinderand they cant find what is causing it as it doe's not show on the engine management computer has anyone have any idea's or had a similar problem cheers tony

audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - Avant

Moved to Technical.

audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - elekie&a/c doctor
random misfires on fsi engines can be caused by a build up of sludge in the air intake to the cylinder head ,behind the inlet and exhaust valves.This prevents correct air flow into the engine.I would suggest the inlet manifold be removed for an internal inspection.hth
audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - Crasher

I would go for a compression test first.

audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - madf

If it does not show up on their computer it could be:

ignition coil - test by swapping them.

Ignition leads.

As it appears on only one cylinder, I suspect a coil.

The garage are incompetent as any normal competent lot would test those as a matter of course.

Change yioyr garage.

audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - Collos25

They may have tested these parts I would go with the manifold as this is a very common problem on this engine eliquently described above.

audi a4 fsi 03 - misfire - GBP1705

I have had a random misfire on my Avensis for nearly 2 years, It has been in 2 Toyota dealers, 1 could find no faults, the other quoted me for a new Catalyc converter at over 2 grand, this I believe is because after the 1st fault on the diagnostic machine which is randon misfire the 2nd fault is the catalyc convertor. When it misfires and i go over 3000 revs all power is lost, I stop turn off engine, restart and off it goes again for a while. I have also had it in 3 independent garages with no luck as to the cause of the problem.