HDI smoking, loss of power & turbo lag - Ben79
HDI 90 on a 4k mile Picasso suffers with terrible loss of power and smoking. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to the event happening, but also while driving, the turbo seems to sometimes start too late, it also seems to go from nothing to stab in the back speed very harshly.

The other day, I couldn't even get up a small hill in 1st. For comparison, my 1.4 Xsara (see other posts) takes the hill in 2nd with 1000 revs without complaining.

The dealer has already tightened the turbo pipes, but it seems to have little effect.

Any ideas what may be wrong so we know for the visit to the dealer?

Ben
HDI smoking, loss of power & turbo lag - bazza
XB
All I know is that these modern common rail diesels are extremely complex motors, with sophisticated electronic engine management etc etc. I suggest you get it along to your Citroen dealer pronto and let them sort it out under warranty.
Re your other post on clutch cable, I'd have that cable re-fitted before thinking megabucks!
Baz
HDI smoking, loss of power & turbo lag - Andrew-T
Have you checked that there isn't half an inch of slack at the 'far' end of the accelerator cable? This has been reported here several times, and I found it on my 306 HDi three years ago.
HDI smoking, loss of power & turbo lag - problem picasso
Ben, I realise your message was posted some time ago, but I am suffering exactly the same problem. As the fault is intermittent i have had difficulty getting any garage to even acknowledge that it is there. Could you tell me if you managed to find a solution to this problem?

HDI smoking, loss of power & turbo lag - mrbeginner
has the garage made sure that the brake pedal switch is adjusted properley(this is all down to engine management)that could be youre problem due to lack of speed
i own a picasso and some thing interesting happened on my car
i was joining the dual carraigeway at speed when i noticed a poof of black smoke out of the back of the car: then i few days later i noticed i had no brake lights at all! the brake light switch had packed up
now i,m not sure if that was a coincidence or it was related to the engine management system? any ideas guys
HDI smoking, loss of power & turbo lag - Ben79
The problem was that the vacuum pipes were connected incorrectly to the EGR valve. Apparantly they are hard to trace in the confinded engine bay of the Picasso.

Ben