Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - Smileyman

Hello all

Please sign this epetition and share it out for others to sign (details and link below) (I do hope I'm not breaking any forum rules here ....)

Approximately 25 years ago my youngest brother’s car was involved in a very serious accident on the M25 caused by a foreign lorry driver changing lane – the driver had not seen my brother’s car which was in a ‘blind spot’ not covered by the existing mirrors.

Fortunately my brother was not seriously injured, although the car became a mangled heap of metal.

Thank you

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41116

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-20281494

blind spot mirrors foreign lorries and coaches

Responsible department: Department for Transport

All foreign lorries and coaches entering the uk to have blind spot mirrors fitted as a legal requirement before being allowed to drive on uk roads.
These mirrors are given out free of charge to foreign drivers entering the country, once fixed into place (which takes a few minutes) the driver is able to see vehicles,bikes etc alongside their vehicle which would otherwise not be visible to them. Very rarely are these mirrors put in place by the driver as it is not a legal requirement, therefore, resulting in these large vehicles being a constant hazard for uk road users.

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - Canon Fodder

Good luck with this idea - a good one IMV.

Also worth adding a bit into the driving test to warn people never to cruise along upsides a wagon of any size or nationality

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - RT

Good luck with this idea - a good one IMV.

Also worth adding a bit into the driving test to warn people never to cruise along upsides a wagon of any size or nationality

It's never good to sit in anyone's blind spot - always leave yourself enough room for evasive action.

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - veryoldbear

One of the huge problems is that it is human nature to sit on the blind spot of something in the lane inboard of you. Look out for this. You'll be barrelling along at the legal max and some s*d will come and sit ten yards behind you and match speeds.

If you are coming up to an HGV for foreign plates, hang back until all clear and then get past fast. If it's a three-lane Motorway I tend to go out into third lane and zip if traffic permits ...

And the old rule about if you can't see his mirrors he can't see you always holds.

Edited by veryoldbear on 10/11/2012 at 21:41

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - TeeCee

I'd have thought that might be a shade OTT.

Something like the doppler blind spot alert system commonly seen on higher-spec cars these days would be simpler, cheaper and also possible as aftermarket fitment I'd have thought.

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - Graham567

I am in complete agreement with this idea but why do we have to give out the mirrors for free?

If we have to buy breath testers to be legal in France then the same should apply to any lorry drivers entering this country and have mirrors already fitted before they arrive or else refusal of entry and/or a fine.

Whats good for the goose...........

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - gordonbennet

I am in complete agreement with this idea but why do we have to give out the mirrors for free?

If we have to buy breath testers to be legal in France then the same should apply to any lorry drivers entering this country and have mirrors already fitted before they arrive or else refusal of entry and/or a fine.

Whats good for the goose...........

I quite agree, but was shot down in no uncertain terms a few years ago here when i dared to suggest such a thing as foreign truck owners might have to pay for their own safety equipment, UK charity.com lives.

Drove a new Volvo lorrry a few weeks ago, seemed to have some sort of LED warning when an object was in what is loosely known as a blind spot, so such system are definately on the way.

I'll now disagree with much of what this thread is about.

Modern lorries equipped with the correct mirrors do not have a blind spot anywhere, but there are certain conditions that have to be met.

Firstly that the windows and mirrors are kept clean, secondly that mirrors are correctly adjusted and overlap coverage of each other (most are woefully adjusted on RHD as well as LHD lorries), and thirdly most importantly that the driver is competent and actually uses the mirrors correctly...this is where it all falls down, hence the ongoing problems.

I'll qualify this, my sis has been driving a LHD artic for the past 10 or more years, shes driven lorries longer than i have and i'm up to 36 years full time now, she doesn't have blind spot problems because she's competent through years of use and having to manage real lorries that didn't drive themselves...from the days when you had to be a lorry driver to drive a lorry....she uses traffic to ''sweep'' the offside of her vehicle before pulling out when in the UK, in other words she selects an approaching vehicle and watches its approach and departure from alongside, then by closely monitoring the situation she knows the road beside her in the danger zone is cleared, but she checks the Down mirror during the pull out in case someone on the outside lane pulls alongside at that precise moment.

There are other problems with modern trucks, too high and too few windows often set too high to be of any use.

At one time all our lorries had rear and side rear windows fitted, with good reason, they provided all round vision, end of.

We'll end up with all sort of devices and clever electronics to prevent such things happening, as with much of this progress it has the unpleasant result of the dumbing down of the job, which means more rubbish to replace skill, an ongoing circle.

Any - Road Safety - Foreign Lorries in UK - epetition - Collos25

As far as I know it is now law in the UK for LHD wagons, if you take the number of mile these people do and its RHD wagons in Europe I would suspect the accident rate is very small.But one point the UK do very little checking of drivers hours or the state of the truck unlike mainland Europe.