Volkswagen golf mk4 - Written-off by previous owner but not told, can I - manu31

Hi,

I bought a VW golf mk4 in December 2011 and the seller (a garage) has written in the ad: HPI Clear. Which is clearly not the case!

Indeed, I have put my car for sale and it appears that my buyer did a check on RAC and discovered the car has been written off in 2009. I was not aware of that, I have not done a check last year as it was stated HPI clear and I have a full history book with all MOTs since 2001. It was written-off under another plate.

What can I do? I have read that it is illegal from a garage to sell a car without saying it has been written-off. Can I contact the garage and ask for a refund? Do I need to go in small claim court?

Thanks for your help!!

Volkswagen golf mk4 - Written-off by previous owner but not told, can I - manu31

On top of that:

Here is the report:

Plate Transfer
- The current plate was transferred to this vehicle on 21/09/2011

- T1-Plate was applied to this vehicle on 04/03/2009
There are no interests recorded against T1-plate

- T2-current plate was applied to this vehicle on 18/12/2008
There are no interests recorded against T2

- T3 was applied to this vehicle on 30/08/1997
This VRM has been recorded as being written-off
The insurance write-off was recorded on 26/09/2009 against a VOLKSWAGEN GOLF GTI

- T4 was applied to this vehicle on 20/06/2001
There are no interests recorded against T4

I have modified plates numbers, but I do not know how to read that. It says T3-plate written off in Sept-2009 but at this date I have MOTs of my car with T1-plate. How can that be possible? Plate sold and written-off on another car?