Car engine and components life expectancy - Trilogy

I've just been reading part of the lalest issue of a monthly car magazine. Apparently most car manufacturers expect the engines of their cars, apart from routine servicing, to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles. VAG expect, apart from wear and tear routine items, components to last 300,000 km or 186,000 miles, while Land Rover go for 150,000 miles or at least 10 years.

It seems as though most of us are changing our cars far too soon. My Octavia TDi has now done 221,000 miles. The engine is fine.

Car engine and components life expectancy - veryoldbear

Car changing isn't logical. It's done for reasons of fashion and number-plate prestige. If we all kept our cars to 200,000 miles plus, what would the manufacturers do?

Car engine and components life expectancy - unthrottled

Apparently most car manufacturers expect the engines of their cars, apart from routine servicing, to last 300,000 to 500,000 miles

On a test bed, yes. In the real world no. I would expect to see engine longevity decreasing rather than increasing as safety factors are reduced kin order to improve mpg.

I would agree that cars are often prematurely condemned to the knacker's yard.

Car engine and components life expectancy - SlidingPillar

I've been told the Ford 8 sidevalve engine of 1934 had a design life of 30 000 miles

Sounds about right. Engines of that era tended to need rebored after about 30-40,000 miles.

Car engine and components life expectancy - madf

Metallurgy changes have worked wonders for materials

Computer controllled machines ditto for tolerances

CAD ditto for engien design.

Oil technology has advanced in leaps and bounds.

The 1934 Ford 8 required oil changes at c 1,000 miles iirc. No oil filter either...

undeniably. But a lot of those advances are now being used to improve economy rather than longevity. Bearings have got smaller, rings and oils have got thinner, higher specific outputs etc. Be interesting to see if durability holds up.

Car engine and components life expectancy - gordonbennet

Rather inconsistent these illustrious makers, they amusingly forecast that their vehicles major components have some 10 year and massive mileage life expectancy, yet warrant them for 3 years and from 60 to 100k miles...whichever comes first., money where mouth is not apply here?

Sounds suspiciously like apeing propaganda straight from the liblabconEU party via its joke state broadcasting offshoot BBC, it works so why not.

Car engine and components life expectancy - RT

Rather inconsistent these illustrious makers, they amusingly forecast that their vehicles major components have some 10 year and massive mileage life expectancy, yet warrant them for 3 years and from 60 to 100k miles...whichever comes first., money where mouth is not apply here?

Sounds suspiciously like apeing propaganda straight from the liblabconEU party via its joke state broadcasting offshoot BBC, it works so why not.

Even the exceptions have big caveats - the Hyundai warranty (for the UK) is 5 years with unlimited mileage - BUT - it excludes wear & tear, like all car warrantys

Car engine and components life expectancy - madf

Anyone fancy a Mercedes Benz with a 30 year anti corrosion warranty? They'll have rusted away by now and MB remeged on the warranty.. Typical Germans or Americans depending on whom you believe was in charge in their Chrysler days...They must be supported by the BBC...:-) or be Lib/Lab/Cons :-)

Edited by madf on 11/11/2012 at 10:40