Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Bill Mulberry

My car is fitted with tyres 175/65 R 15 which I calculate have a diameter of 609 mm. I have been sold a Space Saver with tyres 125/70 D 15 which I calculate have a diameter of 556 mm. That's a difference of about 2 inches. Should I be worried?

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - mike hannon

Not until you have to use it.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Smileyman

Is the spare restricted to 50mph? Most likely it is, and to a limited range too.

So here are two reasons why you need to be worried.

Bitter experience tells me these space savers are a nuisance, try setting out on a 200 mile journey to a family wedding and discovering a flat tyre and the spare is a space saver.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - GeoffC

All I can say is a space saver is better than no spare - not ideal -but will get you home or out of trouble...

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - madf

I like space savers. Light and easy to use.

Some modern car wheels and tyres are so big and heavy you acquire a hernia moving one.

Edited by madf on 10/11/2012 at 20:25

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - unthrottled

That's not a trite observation. A Full size 17" wheel with tyre can easily weigh over 50lb. Not the easiest thing to heaved out of the boot.

My little 13" steelies otoh, you can toss them around like clay pigeons.

That's not a trite observation. A Full size 17" wheel with tyre can easily weigh over 50lb. Not the easiest thing to heaved out of the boot.

My little 13" steelies otoh, you can toss them around like clay pigeons.

You are correct. It was not intended to be trite.

Anyone fancy changing the wheel on a Range Rover? Call a breakdown service - with a lift.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - SlidingPillar

Agreed, I weighed a wheel and tyre on my Defender. Can't remember the pounds, but it was over 7 stone. A girl in my office weighed less (so she said).

Edit - this is a reply to the message two above. Don't click the link in the one above unless you want to test your antivirus protection.

Edited by SlidingPillar on 11/11/2012 at 14:29

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - unthrottled

Those links are becoming a bit of a bore.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Avant

Indeed they are. We remove them and disable the idiot's account, but he comes back each day under a new name and E-mail address.

What's particularly irritating is the sheer stupidity that makes him think he's achieving anything.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - NARU

Agreed, I weighed a wheel and tyre on my Defender. Can't remember the pounds, but it was over 7 stone. A girl in my office weighed less (so she said).

I'm glad I bought a landcruiser with the spare underneath rather than on the back door!

I'm glad I bought a landcruiser with the spare underneath rather than on the back door!

So iinstead of a hernia lifting it off the back door, you will slip a disc removing it ....covered in dried up mud.

Sounds like a sensible plan :-)

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - gordonbennet
So iinstead of a hernia lifting it off the back door, you will slip a disc removing it ....covered in dried up mud.

If anything like the Hilux, there's a small winch which lowers the wheel flat to the ground, only a case of winding it down, rolling it out, and the reverse when stowing.

You of all people should know that Toyotas are designed to be useful practical and durable in use in all conditions, unlike those Tata thingy's..:-)

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - RT

Most people think that alloy wheels are lighter than steel - wrong unless they're aluminium or some exotic alloy used for racing.

The clue is the definition of "alloy" - a mixture of two or more metals (with no requirement to contain aluminium) .

Alloys do generally look better than steel wheels though.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Stroudie

I've found one on ebay, unused skinny spare + tools which I don't need -£44.90 inc. P&P.

Diameter 585mm, so it fits the spare wheel well, and stud holes same distance apart as the car.

Will check that the present bolts fit properly.

Of course, putting the spare on means being able to undo the bolts-but if Gem have to be called out at least we would not need recovery to a garage,which would be necessary in the event that a tyre was shredded, and no spare in the car.

Still have the can of Gunk,but there seem to be reports that if you use this the tyre is rendered useless, or is this a Tyre Shop myth?

Having said all this I never had a puncture in 7 years with our last (Mk 1) Jazz, which had a space saver. ( Nor even a blown light bulb)

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - thunderbird

Still have the can of Gunk,but there seem to be reports that if you use this the tyre is rendered useless, or is this a Tyre Shop myth?

Its just a myth, provided the tyre and rim are clean and the puncture repaired all will be fine, problem is the tyre places would rather sell you a new tyre than clean up the mess.

With regards to carrying a space saver tyre on a car not fitted with one by the manufacturer you need to inform the insurance company. The car will not have been type approved with this the tyre you are buying and if you have an accident while you are using it it may have serious repercussions.

Its just a myth, provided the tyre and rim are clean and the puncture repaired all will be fine, problem is the tyre places would rather sell you a new tyre than clean up the mess.

With regards to carrying a space saver tyre on a car not fitted with one by the manufacturer you need to inform the insurance company. The car will not have been type approved with this the tyre you are buying and if you have an accident while you are using it it may have serious repercussions.

Err if Honda sell them as an approved extra, then I think the above is incorrect.

More importantly you need a securing clamp.. £10 from Honda - on back order so obviously a lot of demand...

Err if Honda sell them as an approved extra, then I think the above is incorrect.

People are buying spare wheels off e-bay or from scrapyards and not from Honda.

If you buy one from Honda and its an approved accessory there is no issue.

The early Civics came with a space saver, my father had one but if the new one's don't have a factory fitted one by using one from an old Rover that just happened to fit you are potentially leaving yourself wide open to prosecution if you have an accident.

For starters how old is the space saver off a Rover, tyres should not be used when they are 6 years old or more, the last Rover was made in about 2004 from memory and how many people will ahve fitted new spacesavers.

People are buying spare wheels off e-bay or from scrapyards and not from Honda.

If you buy one from Honda and its an approved accessory there is no issue.

The early Civics came with a space saver, my father had one but if the new one's don't have a factory fitted one by using one from an old Rover that just happened to fit you are potentially leaving yourself wide open to prosecution if you have an accident.

For starters how old is the space saver off a Rover, tyres should not be used when they are 6 years old or more, the last Rover was made in about 2004 from memory and how many people will ahve fitted new spacesavers.

Hmm.

Check the number of 2006 and older cars with spacesavers. How many will have changed their tyres as over 6 years old?

Very few I suggest.

The main reasons for tyre degradation are heat and UV and motion. Tyres in a car wheel well are exposed to none of those.

The furthest I have driven on a space saver was 5 miles at well under 50mph...chances of an accident are slim under those conditions.

Apparently you can save a bit of money by buying a spacesaver from a Rover 25 from a scrappie. I'm told it's exactly the sams size as the £160 Honda space saver.

HJH

Spot on.

I bought one unused from ebay for £23. Immaculate . Had to travel 30 miles there and then back to collect it but it is worth it...

Rover 25/45 and Rover/MG equivalents. 4 hole wheels.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Jazzyivtec

Apparently you can save a bit of money by buying a spacesaver from a Rover 25 from a scrappie. I'm told it's exactly the sams size as the £160 Honda space saver.

HJH

This posting is factual. Rover25/45/ spacesaver fits 2012 Jazz 1.4 fine. Handles OK too. A real moneysaver compared to "overpriced" honda prices. Thanks for info.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - TeeCee

Actually, racing ones tend to contain rather more magnesium. Very strong and light, but too brittle for general road use.

Alloy wheels are usually aluminium / magnesium / chrome alloy. Road wheels have more aluminium, which makes them more flexible and is also nice 'n cheap. The downside here is that rigity is compromised so they need to contain more metal to support the same load as a high-magnesium equivalent, hence the weight.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - TeeCee

I like space savers. Light and easy to use.

Some modern car wheels and tyres are so big and heavy you acquire a hernia moving one.

All well and good, but overlooks the need to pick up and stow the full size one. There's that hernia you thought you'd avoided and let's face it, lifting a wheel into the car is rather harder than dropping one out.

At least if you'd had a full-size spare, you'd now have a full-size wheel shaped hole somewhere to put the one you took off. Having a space-saver and a car full of people and luggage is a bit of a problem when you get a flat.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Stroudie

I have done some more web research.

The website wheelfitment.eu gives the wheel specs for many models.The 2008 on Jazz has a PCD of 100m,Centre bore 56.1mm,Offset 45.

The site gives a long list of cars with the same specs, so their space savers would fit the Jazz..

Try Googling 125/80/15 space saver spares and you will find plenty of wheels and tyres to fit-mainly Michelins or Continentals.

I question thunderbird's logic. Most drivers in the UK are driving without insurance, by his definition, having replaced their tyres with makes not as supplied new when the car was manufactured, or even windscreen wiper blades!

My Jazz came with Dunlop SP37s, not listed in UK as far as I could find.

I just had 2 Hankook Kinergy 425s put on-no comment from the seller about Type Approval.

I question thunderbird's logic. Most drivers in the UK are driving without insurance, by his definition, having replaced their tyres with makes not as supplied new when the car was manufactured, or even windscreen wiper blades!

Are you for real, type approval has nothing to do with the brand of tyre you fit. The tyre has to be the same size plus the original load and speed rating (or higher) or an approved OEM option.

And when did wiper blades.

Honda Jazz Hybrid - Space Savers - Collos25

www.rammytyres.webs.com/tyreage.htm.

No actual age related laws or regulations in the UK apparently

My car has many different options on tyres from 15" to 19" with many different widths I would hate to try and police this.