Ford Focus - New Cars and Contractual Obligations - Backache

We ordered a new Focus through an internet broker, having been told end Oct for delivery initially - the car had still to be built. A deposit of £500 was paid on credit card. As soon as the supplying dealer contacted us it became Nov 10th. A couple of weeks ago the dealer told me the date was now showing as Nov 3. Now they can't give me a date at all, although the car is in Ford's "quality control compound" in the UK somewhere (this has been the case for 10 days).

At the time of order we were not given any formal contact (just e-mail confirmation), and I've queried this a couple of times, and they say it's normal (well I've bought a few new cars over the years and it's anything but - you get a contact to sign immediately, with T&Cs set out.). The most I've been able to squeeze out of the dealer/broker combination (after pressing the point) is a definite price and that it's guaranteed.

I'm beginning to become somewhat anxious about the lack of a clear delivery date if the car has been built as they say. Does the extended stay in the "quality control compound" mean that the car may have been subject to post production damage in transit and is undergoing repair (if so I don't want it as they are never the same after)?

Most importantly in the absence of a formal contract with T&Cs specified can I simply demand my deposit back and go elsewhere.

Ford Focus - New Cars and Contractual Obligations - tony g
Hi,
Given that delayed delivery is your problem ,I wonder if ford uk customer services can provide a more definite answer than the supplying dealer . If you can get the cars vin number , ford uk should be able to give you the information
The problem lies with ford rather than the dealer .

The way that you bought the car suggests that you are involved in distance selling ,where different legislation applies ,so you could cancel the contract . You may also be able to recover your deposit from your credit card company because of the delayed delivery .its worth giving them a ring .

However ,your car is not that late ,is it worth all the hassle to cancel the contract ?
Initially I would pursue ford uk ,for a more definite delivery date .