Golf Mk2 Heater removal.. - Paul 74
Having major trouble removing the heater on my Golf Mk2. I've disconnected the pipes from the engine bay side, removed a bedroomful of internal trim, screws and clips. Haynes say loosen the dash screws and then move on to removing the heat exchanger but it's not budging (feels like it's welded in!) It may be the next bit is simply clipped in, but I can't work out how to get the clips apart...
Any wise words kindly appreciated..
Thanks

(PS it got done in the 1990 re-call so I can't get VW to pay for it)
Golf Mk2 Heater removal.. - pmh
Feeling smug, VAG just did mine for free last week. Done under warranty after 15 years, could this be record?

(Recall is not applicable anymore, but the Service Manager said not a problem Sir, we just do it under warranty and VAG pay for it.)

Look at this thread, there is the mention of 2 bolts that are not shown by Haynes!

www.clubgti.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=613&Searc...x

You may have cut and paste the link, because the reply form forces a break in the middle of the address.

Best of luck.

pmh (was peter)
Golf Mk2 Heater removal.. - DavidHM
tinyurl.com to the rescue again:

tinyurl.com/4e4m for the link above.
Golf Mk2 Heater removal.. - Paul 74
Got the link, looks good, I'll give it a bash tonight. Thanks for the help
Golf Mk2 Heater removal.. - chrisd
2 years ago my mark 2 golf heater matrix burst and siezed the engine, scalding water burnt my feet, have only just hears about the recall, but my local vw dealer said they can longer do this, how did you manage it do you have a warranty with the garage?
Golf Mk2 Heater removal.. - pmh
If the car has already had either the modified valves and bypass fitted or a new matrix fitted by VW at any time in its life it will not qualify for a second change.
If you search on this forum and also via the link I posted above you will find wealth of comment by people who had the recall done.

pmh (was peter)