Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - 3kcarrequired

Hello, hope you guys can give me some advice... I need to get myself a car to get me to and from work and a bit of social driving.. I dont intend to have this car any longer than 3 years max. and will do about 18'000 miles a year MAX..

I am a self confessed mercedes addict and have had c180k A class, E classes etc. but this time i want to go for something that will holds its value and is under 3k.. I have kind of decided that I may have to go for a 100k mile diesel? I am after a big family car or may even take a look at a 4x4.. I am open to offers and see this as a bit of a brain storming exercise. If you could let me know what to look for when buying second hand as i am not mechanical really!

thank you

Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - Avant

It's tempting to go for another Mercedes but for £3k you'll get a newer car if you go for something a little less upmarket (and Mercedes have had quality problems so reliabiltiy isn't guaranteed).

Diesel engines can suffer expensive failure at high mileages, although Fords and the VW Group 1.9 TDI have a better reputation. I think in your position I'd go for whichever of the following I could find within budget that appeasrs to have been looked after and serviced:

Toyota Avensis; Mazda 6; Honda Accord; Ford Mondeo; Skoda Octavia; VW Passat.

Personally I'd go for a petrol engine. Japanese diesels (particularly Mazda) are less reliable than their petrol engines.

Edited by Avant on 24/10/2012 at 00:21

Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - coopshere
Totally agree with Avant on this one. For that sort of money you are going to be in high mileage territory and if you do get engine problems further down the line then petrol is likely to be cheaper to repair.
Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - oldtoffee
One big bill and the 100k miles diesel that holds its value best becomes the one that costs you the most.

I'd go for a Mondeo 2.0 petrol manual. Lots about so finding a good one with service history should be painless or alternatively a Mazda 6 petrol.
Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - 3kcarrequired
Thank you for your responses!

I am thinking about buying a 1.6 lx 06 petrol 54k tonight (price agreed @ 2700) there are a couple of issuse raised when inspecting it. I am only wanting to drive this car around 15k per year.

1. The seller claims that he has had to replace an electrical component to the tune of 500quid @ 47k this was because the dials on the dash where being erractic and the lights on the dash were flashing on and off. What could this be should i be looking for future problems?

2. There is damage to the front wing passenger side, a 12" by 3" dent that has not a scratch or split paint. the hub cap is also missing from this wheel. should i be looking for damage behind the wheel ? How would i do this?

Edited by 3kcarrequired on 24/10/2012 at 10:44

Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - Fernando P

A 1.6lx what? Does not seem good value to me for 6 year old vehicle with 54k miles allegedly recorded, given you intend to use it a lot in the coming year(s). I don't like the sound of the dent and the missing hub cap (etc) either. Instead of looking for damage I would run away as fast as I could instead!

Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - oldtoffee

Run Forest run! If you're in any way unsure leave it. Can you somehow extend the 6 days to give you time to look at more cars in a more informed manner?

If someone tells you about something they've "fixed" or paid for there's probably something else they're not going to tell you. What electrical component was replaced? ECU, EGR, ABS, low oil, service missed and more could all pop up a flashing light.

Keep looking and if anybody claims to have spent any money on a car ask for proof, receipts, service book, MOTs, old tax discs etc . Plenty of honest cars around but you have to be diligent and prepared to walk (or run) away. Do you have a friend or a friend of a friend who you can trust and is savvy about used cars to spot a good or bad one for the price of a pint or two?

Passat, Focus, Mondeo, C Class, 4x4 - I have 6 days to by a car under 3K HELP - TeeCee

Sounds like a Focus and the legendary "christmas tree dash" problems. 500 quid would be a new dash ECU.