Right. Time for a rant - jamie745

Everywhere I've been this week the road has been full of morons. Mostly cyclists but we'll get onto those in a minute. First I want to mention the half-evolved troglodyte plebian who managed to crash on the slip road on my way to work on Tuesday and the Vauxhall driving nitwit numpty who crashed on Wednesday. Don't you realise I have places to go?

Now, cyclists. It's that time of year again, cyclists surprised by dark mornings or fading light in late afternoon who don't have ANY LIGHTS ON!!! Everybody likes to paint a lovely picture of cyclists but the reality is most of them are drunk students riding along with a bag of doritos wedged in their gob while chatting to their oompa loompa-esque baby producing, benefit claiming slags on bookface. Weaving around like neanderthalic rectal tubes, all too aware of the legal implications for me should I flatten them like a card under a steamroller.

I'm sorry but this country is too crowded now. Too many people. Too few roads. Too many cars. Cars parked on roads unsuitable for parking on, bus lanes where they shouldn't be, cycle lanes in pointless places and we simply haven't got room for bicycles anymore. Or pensioner drivers. Or buses. Aside from the very brave man in the pink lycra I saw on Thursday, every cyclist is either a moron or a pensioner who frankly deserves to end up under a wheel to thin out the pensions bill.

Oh and you in the T Reg silver Volvo who pulled out in front of me when I was about 6cm from the junction today. I'm watching you.

I'm watching you.

P.S Glad to be back.

Right. Time for a rant - unthrottled

I'm afraid I was one of those cyclists without lights, frantically beetling my way home as dusk fell. Sadly not on the phone to an oompa loompa-esque baby.

Right. Time for a rant - veryoldbear

Try driving round Oxford at twilight. It'll do your head in.

I'm afraid I was one of those cyclists without lights, frantically beetling my way home as dusk fell. Sadly not on the phone to an oompa loompa-esque baby.

Well you do have some decorum don't you.

Right. Time for a rant - MikeTorque

>> Or pensioner drivers.

If you live long enough you may be one of them one day. Unlike you they have earned the right to drive on the road, walk on the pavements etc. Many of them fought/lived through WW2 and you owe it to them for the freedoms you enjoy and unfortunately appear to abuse. Show respect to pensioner drivers and be patient with them.

When/if you eventually mature you may appreciate many of the things you currently take for granted, until then you would do well to learn from the more mature people in our society.

Many of them fought/lived through WW2 and you owe it to them for the freedoms you enjoy and unfortunately appear to abuse

Oh come off it Mike. The minimum age for conscription during WWII was 18. An 18 year old in 1945 would be 85 now. How many WWII veterans are still driving? Probably not many.

Yes, there are competent elderly drivers on the road. But there are competent young drivers too. The system doesn't cut the youngsters any slack, why should it cut the older ones any slack either? There are still a handful of extremely old drivers who bought a driving licence from the post office for three shillings and never had to pass a driving test. Ridiculously, their driving licences were 'grandfathered' and remain valid to this day.

I suspect a lot of them are stil creaming off final salary pension benefits that relied on their contempories dieing at 60 to remain financially viable. Not to mention a whole host of universal benefits not available to those born later. They've done pretty well out of the system.

So when I see a Jazz screaming away at 5000 RPM as it manoeuvres out of a parking space, I can't say I feel compelled to be sympathetic.

Yes I was going to point out you'd have to be 85 today to have fought in the War. Most pensioners today didn't fight in the War, they're the kids of those who did. When people were fighting the war, todays pensioners were tucked up in the countryside. Todays pensioners are the generation who messed the World up after their parents fought to keep it free.

I find it interesting that if you get blown up by the Germans you're supposedly able to drive like a nonce in 2012, but a youngster who's passed the up to date test is treated as a liability while we all ignore old Grandad who can't see.

Right. Time for a rant - thunderbird

Oh come off it Mike. The minimum age for conscription during WWII was 18. An 18 year old in 1945 would be 85 now. How many WWII veterans are still driving? Probably not many.

Dads 85 in January and still driving, there will be many more than you would expect.

Right. Time for a rant - Avant

"I'm sorry but this country is too crowded now. "

Very true. You live within range of Felixstowe I think: maybe you need to jump on a ferry and emigrate. France might suit you - about the same population as the UK (c. 60m) but about three times the land area.

But then you probably won't like the French....

Does Felixstowe do ferries? I thought it was a container port. Anyway the worst thing about France is all the French people - and the fact too many of the English live there now.

Right. Time for a rant - carr

Does Felixstowe do ferries? I thought it was a container port. Anyway the worst thing about France is all the French people - and the fact too many of the English live there now.

Absolutely true jamie, you would REALLY hate it here.

Please, please stay in Suffolk.

You and Ipswich were made for each other.

Right. Time for a rant - galileo

Well said, Jamie, I think we could all think of several additions to your list.

E.g. wearers of cloth caps, trilby hats, baseball caps, those with windows open and thumping 'music' or even worse, that mindless rubbish known as rap polluting the air.

These are identifiable so I give them a wide berth, some of the other incompetents or insane are trickier to spot, constant vigilance needed.

A lady in our area the other day had a space saver tyre put onto her car to allow her to get to the garage to have a new tyre fitted, she could only drive a max of 40 mph. On her journey she was tailgated all the way (they were in the back seat she said), cut up numerous times, insults and gestures thrown at her etc.

Another person in our area, a lollipop person (school crossing patrol officer), are driven at several times per week, speeding motorist racing by whilst they stand in the road trying to ensure children and others safely cross the roads, sometimes they are actually hit by a vehicle.

Unless people behave more responsibly this country will end in the sewer.

Right. Time for a rant - bathtub tom

Oh dear. I'm a pensioner cyclist (with lights). But while I'm on the bike, I'm not using one of my cars, perhaps freeing up more road space for these enormous Jags?

It seemed so much more pleasant here the last few months.

Lollipop person is 50 points.

Preferably on your licence.

I bet there's regulars on here with points.

I haven't got any.

Right. Time for a rant - Lygonos

jamie745 is Mike Rutherfud AICMFP.

Right. Time for a rant - madf

> Or pensioner drivers.

I have just become one.

It's taken me 47 years to driving to achieve that status and I am bazookad * if a little rant is going to stop me driving at 20mph in town blocking all the traffic or 60mph on the wrong side of the motorway facing the oncoming traffic.

* replace with apppropriate rude word.

After all, I've worked all my life to pay Jamie's benefits so he can drive a cheap Jag

:-)

Edit: and I wear a hat on cold or wet days. Not by choice but becuase my head has lost much of its hair which now adorns my chest...

Where IS my zimmer frame?

And what are points? Things that come with a wet teashirt competition?

Edited by madf on 21/10/2012 at 07:23

Right. Time for a rant - Collos25

The mans an idiot and should be locked away he is a danger to other road users and to himself.

Right. Time for a rant - gordonbennet

Jamie did have a valid point, the country is overcrowded for a variety of reasons its still dangerous to talk about depending on the hymn sheet being sung from, have to be vigilant as that hymn sheet can be turned at any moment, do not use yesterdays hymn sheet or tomorrows one a day early, the thought police will have you.

You as voters are all responsible for this, you were bribed by politicians with money borrowed in your own name and believed a bought and paid for MSM's propaganda.

The one thing about travel i can't understand is the hell people put themselves through to travel long distances on Friday afternoons...lemming day, i have to be on the road every day its my job, and i absolutely dread lunchtime on Friday cos it seems like the lunatic asylums let their most befuddled inmates out and road carnage ensues....we never go anywhere Friday afternoons or bank holidays, insanity in droves.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/10/2012 at 09:20

I had to come back from Gatwick last Friday afternoon. I'm surprised that there weren't wardens waddling about on the M25 handing out parking tickets.

Right. Time for a rant - Bobbin Threadbare

He thinks it's overcrowded and lives in E. Anglia. Don't move anywhere else Jamie, except maybe the wilds of Cumbria, because your neck of the woods is almost empty....

Right. Time for a rant - Bromptonaut

If the so called rant was in any way funny it'd be worthwhile. As it is? just a waste of pixels.

It seems time out has not improved your style Jamie. Perhaps the mods could 'offer' you a further break.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/10/2012 at 11:06

Right. Time for a rant - SteveLee

The over crowded roads are a result of a crazy government - which in 1997, practically the day they took office - cancelled the bulk of the road-building programmes and then increased immigration 10 fold - you couldn't make it up! Incidentally, neither policies were in their manifesto (or any manifesto) - we didn't vote for this.

I had a similar rant at a hobby bobby who threatened me with 3 points (how? He has no powers to do so) for driving over a pavement to get to a parking spot. I said how else could I have parked? It's not my fault the roads are full and people are forced to park anywhere and anyway they can. I pointed out that not 200 yards away was a mile long road where the residents have pulled down their garden walls and now cross the pavement to park - some with cars too long for the garden which stick out onto the pavement - are you gong to nick the hundreds of people who live there? - Assuming you had arrest powers. This is the mess created by government through unmandated policies which have increased our population massively beyond the limits of transport, energy and civil infrastructures, and if we complain about it, there are armies of taxpayer-sponsored thought police waiting for you to say something out of turn.

The people that actually get off their behinds every morning are taxed to death to pay for it all. Still, that's what happns when you have three identkit main parties only interested in feathering their own nest and a culturally left-wing media who smear any party who dares to try to tackle any of our problems at source.

Couldn't agree more SteveLee, i expect you're on a list too.

Incredible how good the propaganda machine has been though, its conditioned whole swathes of the country into believing only the three cheeks of the same backside are a valid proposition...and some people still believe there is a difference between those three...Scotland wil probably vote very soon to leave the Union and then quite probably sign up to the EU Nobel Winner Masterstate in their own right...has anyone looked and seen what has happened to Eire, Greece, Italy and soon Spain and Portugal.

The electorate, us unfortunately, have the government they deserve...thanks all those who believed the liars spivs cheats swindlers and assorted unscrupulous climbers and voted them in thereby endorsing everything they do in your name.

There's no way of knowing when the population is 'too high' as it's hardly an exact science, but the fact our high taxing Government can't pay for everybody without racking up £1trillion worth of debt every decade and our economy cannot possibly make enough jobs/schools/roads/homes for all of these people would suggest we've hit a wall.

One thing Cameron got right in his 2010 campaign is that immigration was never a major campaign issue before 1997. The level of immigration wasn't high enough for people to panic, for it to be an issue. I would say it's been the big undiscussed issue of 21st century Britain. The moment you even mention immigration might be an issue, you get hissed at by lefty nutters - the same ones who wandered through London yesterday. If you mention net migration of 150k a year is perhaps damaging there's always someone who says 'I'm an immigrant and I'm a doctor' in an attempt to make you look stupid.

You get pegged as a racist at worst or xenophobic at best if you acknowledge the 1.2million Poles who actually came are rather more than the 100,000 Mr Blair said would come. The fact is though no country outside Europe just leaves the door wide open for everybody. The United States - built by immigrants - doesn't just let everybody wander in legally. Australia's system would probably be deemed racist and unacceptable here in the nation which sent the criminals out there in the first place.

Scotland wil probably vote very soon to leave the Union and then quite probably sign up to the EU Nobel Winner Masterstate in their own right

Scotland won't vote to leave the Union. 30% at most want independence. What they really want is more authority for Holyrood so we've made sure that option isn't on the list.

Edited by jamie745 on 21/10/2012 at 14:42

Isn't this supposed to be HJ's car forum ?

Let's keep it that way before it's hijacked and turned into something it's not.

I don't come to this car forum to read political views like the one above. I suggest this thread be terminated.

Mike you don't have to read the thread, it wasn't misleadingly titled.

The population being unnaturally increased over a brief period affects us all in our motoring...and as Jamie rightly pointed out at fantastic and unsustainable costs, which will never be repaid or manageable unless someone,and it isn't the present of either of the three cheeks of the political backside, gets a grip on things....won't be holding me breath.

Right. Time for a rant - SteveLee

Isn't this supposed to be HJ's car forum ?

Let's keep it that way before it's hijacked and turned into something it's not.

I don't come to this car forum to read political views like the one above. I suggest this thread be terminated.

Look up at the names behind the average "crash for cash" claim - and the areas involved - mainly "enriched" northen ex-mining and mill towns and tell me motoring issues have nothing to do with immigration. As Jamie said - you don't have to read it - particularly as you now know the content. The suppression of free speech is what creates monstors like Anders Brevik.

Right. Time for a rant - corax

The mans an idiot and should be locked away he is a danger to other road users and to himself.

You really shouldn't talk about madf like that...

>> The suppression of free speech is what creates monstors like Anders Brevik.

jamie's last entry made no mentioned of car/motoring, that's what I was referrring too.

THIS IS A MOTORING/CAR FORUM, NOT A POLITICAL PLATFORM FOR EXTREMIST PROPAGANGA of the type expressed by some of the above.

Right. Time for a rant - mss1tw

>> The suppression of free speech is what creates monstors like Anders Brevik.

jamie's last entry made no mentioned of car/motoring, that's what I was referrring too.

THIS IS A MOTORING/CAR FORUM, NOT A POLITICAL PLATFORM FOR EXTREMIST PROPAGANGA of the type expressed by some of the above.

Request the thread is moved to general chat.

And I thought that I was guilty of contrived outrage! Look at the title...if it isn't for you, DON'T READ IT!

NOT A POLITICAL PLATFORM FOR EXTREMIST PROPAGANGA

Assuming you didn't take the mowing-down-pensioners bit seriously, thank you for confirming that discussing immigration and acknowledging the problem leads to hysterical cries of 'extremism.'

I wonder where Jamie was when he was absent from here?

I've known some people to say they were working on north sea oil rigs when they were in fact doing time for her majesty's pleasure.

I started a new job and had things to do. Cheeky!

I could move this thread to 'general discussion' but Jamie's original post was about motoring, so on balance it's in the right place.

I could also lock it as requested, and won't hesitate to if it becomes personally abusive, but it hasn't so far, and it's important to allow free 'speech' as far as possible in a forum like this.

Just as 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' should turn the TV off or change channels if (s)he doesn't like what's on, so if you're not a fan of Jamie's rants you have the choice not to read this thread. After all, he made his intention clear enough in the thread title!

You're in the region of pensionable age aren't you Avant? I'm sure you didn't take too much offence.

:)

Right. Time for a rant - Collos25

Avant Its a motoring site not a site for mentally retarded people to say what they wish because they have or have not taken the pill of the day.I and many contributers take offence with the regards to pensioners and cyclists to think I bore arms for this idiot.

Edited by Collos25 on 22/10/2012 at 09:40

Right. Time for a rant - RickyBoy

Jamie – I'm a(n early retired) 61-year old pensioner, a car driver for 42-years and a seriously keen road cyclist for the past 20, fit enough to climb L'Alpe D'Huez last year!

I'll see you outside in 10...

:–)

PS. When I'm a car driver I get incredibly irritated by the actions of a vast number of cyclists – when I'm a cyclist it's the reverse.

C'est la vie...

PS. When I'm a car driver I get incredibly irritated by the actions of a vast number of cyclists – when I'm a cyclist it's the reverse.

So it's not just me then! I was anguishing over my inability to reconcilde the two faces of unthrottled: Toad of Toad Hall and fluffy, organic cyclist.

Right. Time for a rant - John Boy

This time round Jamie made it obvious that he was performing a windup. Despite being a pensioner, a cautious driver, a leftie and a cyclist, I found the original post quite funny.

It's a shame this site doesn't have smileys, because they make it easy to indicate that you're joking. In plain text it can be quite difficult.

Right. Time for a rant - piggy

<<This time round Jamie made it obvious that he was performing a windup. Despite being a pensioner, a cautious driver, a leftie and a cyclist, I found the original post quite funny.>>

Count me in on that list too John Boy. But come on,we all enjoy Jamie`s posts. I might not agree with all he says,but I for one missed his not so tongue in cheek rants. Welcome back,Jamie.

Right. Time for a rant - FP

"This time round Jamie made it obvious that he was performing a windup. Despite being a pensioner, a cautious driver, a leftie and a cyclist, I found the original post quite funny."

Are you saying Jamie has a sense of humour? How...er... intriguing...

I did in fact notice Jamie had been away and wondered if Avant's patience had finally run out.

Did I miss him?

Edited by FP on 22/10/2012 at 11:47

I did in fact notice Jamie had been away and wondered if Avant's patience had finally run out.

Did I miss him?

I missed him a lot more than posters whose only contribution is to peridodically lament that the Back Room isn't what it used to be and it's getting worse. That's hardly going to start an interesting and entertaining thread, is it?

I too am glad Jamie is here, he amusingly and sometimes seriously puts forward an alternative view...its called freedom of speech....it was quite obvious from the thread title that he was having a tongue in cheek rant.

Speech, a freedom rather too many people in this country would like to see banished unless quoting from the current hymn sheet of the day, thanks Avant for seeing it as it is and allowing the thread to continue.

More seriously in the real world true fascists are those who seek to censor and disallow from being heard any view that doesn't fit with their mindset, freedom to speak only when you endorse their view, which in this country is currently PC or certain beliefs or ways of life....hence the ravings and violent reaction of the anti fascist crew (the irony would be way over many of them) when someone says something they don't agree with.

Right. Time for a rant - RickyBoy

...but it (a lot of what he says) is true.

Some of my very worst encounters with cyclists occurred when I used to commute on the Redways of MK. Lost count of the number of 'casuals' whom I called a **** for not having any lights/wearing reflective or brightish clothing. Still got scars on one hand from where our handlebars 'locked-horns'!

"Can't afford any mate" was the stock reply. Well get off the ******** route then I generally replied. Yes, the 'red mist' used to rise to the surface in seconds – still does.

My biggest complaint re: motorists these days is that everyone just seems to be so much of a hurry. I ride most lunchtimes with guys who still work at my old company. We aim for 18-20 miles four times a week (Thursday's is my walking day – find I rarely have to shout at anyone whilst out country-walking :–)) at this time of year. I do much longer rides when it's 25C+ but wait 'til rush hour is long gone before setting-out and wouldn't dream of riding on MK's H & V fast-flowing road system even in clear, dry conditions). We ride sensibly (singled-out) when on A/B-road traffic but often side-by-side for a natter on C/D-roads, rarely pull any 'stunts' (tho' we're not totally self-righteous) like red-light breaking or pavement-hopping, but, despite OUR best efforts there isn't a lunchtime goes by when we don't have some sort of 'incident' with a vehicle that JUST MUST overtake our line and get ahead of us before sharply cutting-in before hitting the oncoming motor that he/she saw was oncoming before they even attempted the manouevre, and thus taking out our lead man!

I still love (leisure) driving (gave up the part-time M-B delivery job a couple of years ago as getting to places on time became such a lottery/no fun anymore) and I adore Spring/Summer/Autumn cycling, acknowledge that I'm extremely fortunate to be able to follow this lifestyle,etc., but it's a battle out there these days – for all of us, in every aspect of our lives.

We seemingly operate like we're all tightly-coiled springs (motoring ref.) waiting to, er, uncoil at the slightest provocation, be it in the guise of a cyclist, motorist or pedestrian.

Bored of typing now/gotta hang some washing out...

Right. Time for a rant - Roly93

Personally my biggest beef is not with your pensioner or neccesarily cyclists either, but the arrogant nutters that dont allow you an inch of leeway or cut you any slack for being 6cm out of position when negotiating complex junctions etc.

You know who you are - BMW 3 series cufflinks and Oakley sunglasses usually frequenting Junction 11 of the M4 !

Give me the pensioners anyday, but I agree cyclists do exisit in a lop-sided version of reality, ie they can do anything they like, but the moment you hit one of them you are a monster forever !

Right. Time for a rant - Ed V

Jamie for a Police Commisioner role?

Right. Time for a rant - Dutchie

I read it as tongue in cheeck Jamie.I agrree about the inpatients of drivers and to many cyclist without lights.Yesterday thick fog on the road to town and not many cardrivers with lights on to be seen.Every day in this town where I live gridlock due to many roadworks which seem to last forever.Poor design of roads to many cars at one time on the roads and some people who behave feral ones they driving or cycling.Still a good rant Jamie.>:)

Right. Time for a rant - sandy56

The idiots have won.

I regularly commute on a very straight road, single carriageway, which ends at a roundabout. Average speed is about 40 if you doing good as it is nose to tail traffic the whole 10 miles as you cannot overtake as the opposite lanes is also nose to tail traffic, so how in hell do you have a rear end accident as you approach the roadabout, and I dont mean a gentle bump but a real smash! Probably on the phone or chatting to the passenger and never paying any notice to what is going on.

Well done idiot - the accident caused chaos. I am looking at buying a gyro copter to commute....if only.

Ah, the evil J11. The possibilities for getting in the wrong lane are manifold ...

Right. Time for a rant - Sulphur Man

Nothing wrong with a rant, as long as it's based on an accurate recollection of recent (or distant) events.

re: cyclists and drivers, here's a recent set event that happened to a friend of mine, a cyclist and motorist like myself, both of us have been driving for over 20 years.

We're both keen leisure cyclists, taking long rides around the country and b-roads, enjoying the scenery. However, unlike me he also commutes to his place of work on a bike too. He's a very good driver, with excellent road awareness and, subsequently, is an observant and considerate cyclist on busy commuter roads, obeying the road rules as a driver would, using his arms to indicate turns and cross-lane manoeuvres, never ever jumping red lights, or swerving onto the pavement to shortcut a junction.

He keeps his bike roadworthy, wears a high-quality helmet, a highly reflective Altura cycle jacket and has strong, bright LED lights fitted front and back to his bike.

In terms of visibility he ticks all the boxes. Basically he's a model cyclist.

However, a new, unsavoury phenomenon has started to appear on the roads, in line with the significant increase in cyclists in recent years.

He has recently been subjected to some verbal abuse from other cyclists, usually teenage, who dont have lights, or a helmet, or an interest in Highway Code. The abuse is simply because he's wearing sensible road-cycling attire and cycling in a considerate manner. It doesnt bother him, but he's saddened by it. He says that the attitude is very similar to 18-25 yr male old drivers who drive dangerously and mock steady, usually older drivers. He thinks that, as more and more young drivers either cant afford to get a car on passing their test, or have been banned, they take to a bicycle and display the same sort of oblivious attitude to the road and other road users that they would behind a steering wheel.

I havent experienced this myself yet, but then I dont use the roads that he does on his commute. However, Im prepared to believe that many 18-25s who can no longer afford to run a car, or are not allowed to, are taking to bikes and behaving recklessly on the road.

Right. Time for a rant - tony g
Idiots are idiots ,in whatever circumstances ,hopefully they will do less damage to the general population on a cycle rather than in a car .

Yes but I'd rather crash into a moron in a car than a moron on a bicycle. The likelyhood is the aforementioned cycling moron will end up fit for the morgue and that results in a lot of standing around, paperwork and inconvenience.

Not to mention the fact the cyclists tend to leak a lot of blood and it is such a bore to have to scrape the congealed mess off your bonnet.

On the plus side, dead people can't claim for whiplash. So you pay for the cost of a new bike and keep your NCD intact.

I have noted some morons do get out of the way of a slab fronted Jaguar.

Right. Time for a rant - Bobbin Threadbare

You need to get the dead cyclist muck off sharpish. It can damage the paintwork.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 23/10/2012 at 19:07

Is this the same thread as automatic car wash?

Automatic car wash is no good for cyclist muck-only a good chamois gets the job done.

Right. Time for a rant - Trilogy

Good to see Mr747 back. :) Cyclists without lights on their bikes can kill and get away without being caught. I was nearly mown down by a cyclist on a pavement the other week. If the bloke had been in a car I could have got his registration number.

I used to cycle alot but don't any more unless on a cycle way.

You've enjoyed a hiatus too, Triology! Good to see you back.

Will you be launching a campaign to save the London cab?! Maybe a joint venture with Saab... :)

Hello Mr unhinged :)

I've had a summer break from the forum. A black cab should be British, so time to bring back Rover for a joint venture with Manganese. BTW, Saab lives.

The Octavia will probably go this winter therefore an appraisal/long term report will be posted in due course.

I think the theory about skint youngsters taking to two wheels rather than four has some legs. They usually are right little scumbags.

Good to see Mr747 back. :) Cyclists without lights on their bikes can kill and get away without being caught. I was nearly mown down by a cyclist on a pavement the other week. If the bloke had been in a car I could have got his registration number.

I used to cycle alot but don't any more unless on a cycle way.

If you're unlucky enough to die in a cyclist/ped crash then your numbers probably up anyway.

I cycle every working day on the road in central London - not a scratch in thirteen years.

Fell off crossing a car park and hospitalised myself. Nobody else involved.

Bromptonaut, cyclists without lights can cause motorists to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid killing the cyclist. The cyclist gets away scott free but the motorists have to claim on their insurance for the collision long after the inconsiderate cyclist has dissappeared into the night. I'm talking about rural roads rather than street lit London etc.

BTW, Jamie have you thought of emigrating to NZ or OZ? THese countries are far from overcrowded but the death rate on the roads is higher than here!

Edited by Trilogy on 25/10/2012 at 17:07

Bromptonaut, cyclists without lights can cause motorists to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid killing the cyclist. The cyclist gets away scott free but the motorists have to claim on their insurance for the collision long after the inconsiderate cyclist has dissappeared into the night. I'm talking about rural roads rather than street lit London etc.

You make it sound like an everyday experience!!

I'm not saying such a thing never happens still less that riding without lights is defensible. But the idea that we need to put registration plates on push bikes (where?) to ameliorate the problem is high order tosh.

Indeed it is. I'm sure it happens all the time on jamie747's commute to work.

The cyclist wears the number plate...................simple.

BTW, I feel all motorists should give cyclists a wide berth wherever possible, it is all about being considerate towards other fellow road users. Just like if a lorry/hgv is following me, and I want to turn into a side road, I always give plenty of notice.

Apologies to unthrottled for the misspellong of unthrottled in my reply to you!

Edited by Trilogy on 25/10/2012 at 20:19

The cyclist wears the number plate...................simple.

The cyclist wears a refelctive gilet with a unique number?

What if he doesn't, at least not when he goes out half a mile for a pint of milk. Or he wears the one he found in a hedge bottom.

Or do I have a different one for each of my five bikes and others for when I'm repairing/road testing other family bikes.

Along with bike tests and compulsory insurance cycle registration is a nutty motorists wet dream.

If he doesn't wear it just fine him/her. You won't forget in a hurry then. :) Glad you mentioned bike test and insurance those are two excellent ideas. Good to see you're ideas are workable ones.

If he doesn't wear it just fine him/her. You won't forget in a hurry then. :) Glad you mentioned bike test and insurance those are two excellent ideas. Good to see you're ideas are workable ones.

Yeah. I think I can dismiss the chance of meeting a copper who'd manage to stop me on crowded streets in London more than once a year.

And a lifetime of popping down the village for milk and my copy of Cycling Weekly :-P

Totally unnecessary.

Next you'll be arguing in favour of charging people for being drunk in charge of a bicycle. Another one of life's few remaining pleasures snuffed out.

And it's 'your' not 'you're'. Raaasp! [no, not in the spirit of forum rules but I'll claim a free punch whenever i can]

Totally unnecessary.

Next you'll be arguing in favour of charging people for being drunk in charge of a bicycle. Another one of life's few remaining pleasures snuffed out.

And it's 'your' not 'you're'. Raaasp! [no, not in the spirit of forum rules but I'll claim a free punch whenever i can]

Like!!

Let's not forget, cyclists pay exactly the same VED (car tax) as any other low emission vehicle.

I think many tin-box drivers lose sight of this when the two-wheelers pass them on the city streets and feel outrage at someone using the roads 'free'.

I've got a couple of cars that are taxed, insured and MOT'D. I still prefer to cycle for journeys under 5 miles!

Right. Time for a rant - IRC

"If you're unlucky enough to die in a cyclist/ped crash then your numbers probably up anyway. "

Absolutely. Motor vehicles kill around 2000 people a year in the UK. Bicycles kill on average 2.

There is more chance of being killed by being hit by lightning than by a bicycle. For all prsctical purposes it is a zero risk.

Right. Time for a rant - Sofa Spud

I'm assuming the original post is a bit of a wind-up from a wannabe future Top-Gear presenter. My advice to Jamie: don't give up the day job but do seriously consider giving up driving!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 27/10/2012 at 00:51

unthrottled, drunk in charge of a cycle, you do have some most excellent ideas. I know it should have been 'your' instead of 'you're'. My grandma izn't that pour. You and Argonaut do have some most excellent ideers. Keep them coming. These unruly cyclists need to be kept on the strait and narrow. Cyclists get away with causing too many accidents hiding underneeth cycle helmets, and behind sunglasses. :) I allways give cyclists plenty of room becos I know what it is like to be given virtually zero room when I have been on a bike.

BTW, according to my brother, kids today do get good cycling educashun.

Sofa Spud, by all accounts jamie747 hasn't yet had a motoring akkseedent. I believe he has taken the IAM test. He knows all about the test.

I believe he has taken the IAM test

Now you've gone and done it. He'll be livid at that suggestion!

unthrottled, you should now get the gist of my comments about cyclists and the 'laws' I'd like to see introduced. Hopefully Bromtonaut will also do so. There was a hint in 'simple', but some people missed it. ;)

Edited by Trilogy on 27/10/2012 at 19:31

Ok, few things

1) Let's not get into the whole cyclist-road-tax nonsense or the whole Churchill-1930s line the cycling lobby always pull out. Let's boil it down; just because they changed the name of the tax and wasted the proceeds on rubbish rather than roads doesn't change what it is - road tax. End of. Let's not waste internet bytes on it again.

2) The IAM comment can frankly go and fornicate with itself

3) Numberplates for bicycles is a rare good idea to come out of this forum

4) If it annoys unthrottled then it must be a good idea