Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - oldroverboy.
2000 miles on, Plus points are as follows, lots of room for driver, position is good, plenty of seat adjustment, nimble steering feels good, fuel economy 40mpg West Wales to London on A roads or motorways sticking to speed limits. equipment levels good. Dealer service at Howards of Carmarthen truly excellent! Poor points, seats VERY firm, poor visibility for clock and radio display. No boot light, relies on reflection from number plate lights which come on when boot is opened. Truly appalling dipped beam lights, but main beam is fine
Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - daveyK_UK

is it based on the current or previous astra?

It is based on the current astra.

Wheel sizes, engines and gearboxes all identical I don't know if the astra seats are this firm though.

I am not thinking of changing it, will get some orthopaedic seat cushons, might fit driving lights that "throw" further than the silly dipped lights. (and yes i will tell the insurance co.) the radio display is not that important but shows lack of attention to detail. (if i move my head 4 inches left i can see it.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - thunderbird

might fit driving lights that "throw" further than the silly dipped lights.

Normally driving lights suplement main beam and not dip. Many years ago Cibie did a driving light with a main and dip but they were huge rally stye lights. Think you may find it difficult to find a suitable, legal "E" marked dipping driving light.

Now 5 months on, and nearly 5500 miles,still very pleased, no problems to report. As said before, budget motoring, reasonable running costs, and i would recommend to anyone who buys one cheap enough.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - Chris79
I was in a diesel cruze recently, I noticed that the boot does not have an interior grab handle thus in this weather every time you close the boot you get dirty hands, a small point but you would have thought they would have thought of this.
Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - Engineer Andy

Does the dipped headlights have a manual or auto-adjustment feature (accounting for the passenger/boot load) or none at all? My 2005-made Mazda3 has a manual adjustment knob on the dash, which seem to be quite commonplace nowadays - maybe lights are set incorrectly? Just a guess.

BTW - which engine has yours got?

Does the dipped headlights have a manual or auto-adjustment feature (accounting for the passenger/boot load) or none at all? My 2005-made Mazda3 has a manual adjustment knob on the dash, which seem to be quite commonplace nowadays - maybe lights are set incorrectly? Just a guess.

BTW - which engine has yours got?

Mine has the 1.6 113 hp petrol, overall average about 34mpg (acceptable for me)

There is a rotary swirch for adjusting the headlight beam. My local mot mate set up the lights to the highest legal point for me using his machine and is the best he can do.(charged me a fiver). Have actually found a set of upgraded bulbs in an auction on a well known site for less than a fiver so worth a go. The cruze, luckily has easy to access headlight bulbs, and one of the nice bits is that it is easy to access the oil and air filters, pollen filters too. (parts as per astra available cheaply too) next service will cost £99 at a local vauxhall dealer, so pleased with that. All in all though it is a decent spec car bought at a huge discount at a bout a year old, well worth it.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - Engineer Andy

Was the headlight "problem" more of a matter of taste for yourself, i.e. do you find the same for other cars you've driven as well? What I would say is be careful if all the settings have ben "upped" by your mechanic friend, as the lights setting for having several rear-seat passengers and boot load (tipping the front of the car up a bit) may make them illegal if you happened to be unlucky enough to be stopped by plod.

I suppose 34mpg is ok, given that its only 2 months old - it'll be interesting to see what it achieves over the next year or so. My experience cannot be compared (I've always got 40-41mpg out of my similar-sized Mazda3 1.6 saloon [rated at 39mpg combined]) as I am VERY light-footed compared to most people these days (I don't drive slowly, I jsut tend to accelerate a bit slower and back off sooner - though still less than many people, including my parents).

I suppose 34mpg is ok, given that its only 2 months old

No,andy, My first post was 2 months after i bought it. The settings are legal and can be lowered using the rotary dimmer for the lights. I can get 40mpg, but as our journeys involve the 209 miles to london fairly frequently, and i am not very light footed on the m4... I found the previous epica had worse lights...

Main points for me was low cost purchase with manufacturers warranty, bought from main dealer at just over 12 months old, with correct stamp in book and £6,900 instead of list of £14,285 at the time. Not everyones cuppa as we say, but budget motoring for me and fully comp was £165 with swmbo as a second driver Is it fabulous no, but I like the looks, it is a saloon, which i like, and it has had its big whack of depreciation already. I have seen a 2009 1.6 saloon fr £4100, cheap motoring for someone!

Ps... today specsavers (others are available) recommended anti glare coating on my new glasses and said if not satisfied can replace foc,

merry christmas to all.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 20/12/2012 at 19:02

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - Collos25

The rear suspension is not from the current Astra but a cheaper version devised by Deawoo and handed down to Chevrolet but for the money its a good car a years depreciation on some cars will buy one of these that's why Dacia are so well bought in Germany and Chevrolet have a just started a big advertising campaign for the Cruze compared with the equivalent VAG they represent extremely good value for money.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - RT

The rear suspension is not from the current Astra but a cheaper version devised by Deawoo and handed down to Chevrolet but for the money its a good car a years depreciation on some cars will buy one of these that's why Dacia are so well bought in Germany and Chevrolet have a just started a big advertising campaign for the Cruze compared with the equivalent VAG they represent extremely good value for money.

The Cruze uses the same platform, GM Delta II, and rear suspension, Watts Z-link, as the current Astra-J but with different spring, damper and anti-roll rates - but the Vauxhall uses different suspension rates to Opel anyway.

Daewoo have never devised anything - they just build Opel/Vauxhalls very cheaply, rebadged as Chevrolets and use either Hyundai-built VM Motori diesels or GM-built Fiat petrol engines.

Your talking rubbish regards the Astra and cruze rear suspension and with regards to Deawoo you are miles out.

"I am rather disappointed with my car that is a real bone shaker with its cheap torsion beam rear suspension as opposed to the Watts Z-Linkage found on the other GM Delta 2 platform Vauxhall Astra".

I wonder who wrote this don´t tell me he was wrong.

Edited by Collos25 on 21/12/2012 at 20:31

Do you understand the GM Watts Z-link?

It uses the same "cheap" torsion beam rear suspension that the Opel Kadett-D and Vauxhall Astra mk1 have used since '79 - with a couple of extra links.

The VW Golf used "cheap" torsion beam rear suspension for nearly 4 decades.

You need to check out what GM Daewoo actually builds in Korea and what the models are underneath - before it was owned by GM they built obsolete Opel/Vauxhall models but when they were taken over by GM they use more up-to-date platforms.

I can quite understand that the universal suspension settings for Chevrolet Cruze don't work that well in the UK.

Suggest reading the hj review..

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/chevrolet/cruze-2009/

That is what he says on the suspension..

Do you understand the GM Watts Z-link?

It uses the same "cheap" torsion beam rear suspension that the Opel Kadett-D and Vauxhall Astra mk1 have used since '79 - with a couple of extra links.

The VW Golf used "cheap" torsion beam rear suspension for nearly 4 decades.

You need to check out what GM Daewoo actually builds in Korea and what the models are underneath - before it was owned by GM they built obsolete Opel/Vauxhall models but when they were taken over by GM they use more up-to-date platforms.

I can quite understand that the universal suspension settings for Chevrolet Cruze don't work that well in the UK.

(Edit - insult deleted. Collos, if you are going to disagree with someone, your opinion is much more persuasive if you avoid being rude to them.)

I was in the the Daewoo plant long before GM ever thought about it and believe me they had a sizable design team some of which later moved to Germany and America.

Edited by Avant on 22/12/2012 at 15:08

I was in the the Deawoo plant long before GM ever thought about it and believe me they had a sizable design team some of which later moved to Germany and America.

GM's involvement started in 1972 when Toyota withdrew from a joint venture with Shinjin Motor - the Shinjin/GM joint venture being called GM Korea which was renamed in 1976 as Saehan Motors and renamed again in 1982 as Daewoo Motors but ended in 1994.

In 1999 Daewoo Group were in serious financial trouble and forced to sell Daewoo Motor's assets to GM, completed in 2002, renaming it GM Daewoo and finally renamed back to GM Korea in 2011.

From 1972-78, GM Korea/Saehan built the GMK/Saehan Rekord, based on the Opel Rekord-D and from 1978-93 Daewoo Motors built the Daewoo Royale and Daewoo Imperial based on the Opel Rekord-E

Edited by RT on 22/12/2012 at 15:14

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - disbeliever

Your talking rubbish regards the Astra and cruze rear suspension and with regards to Deawoo you are miles out.

"I am rather disappointed with my car that is a real bone shaker with its cheap torsion beam rear suspension as opposed to the Watts Z-Linkage found on the other GM Delta 2 platform Vauxhall Astra".

I wonder who wrote this don´t tell me he was wrong.

This may have been me. I have now sold my diesel 2 litre auto Cruze after 2 years & 20,000 miles and only got £7000 in p/x but I got £2500 off my new Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel auto which has a very similar autobox to the Cruze there is no turbo lag and the acceleration from standstill is excellent compared to the Cruze. However like most cars it has its downside a jacking system not fit for purpose and rectified att service no warranty claims on the Cruze, however overall mpg 29.4 Ceed 34 mpg.

At 10k a year its probably cheaper to use hire cabs buying a new car seems an expensive way to save a few pence on petrol.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 2 months - thunderbird

This may have been me. I have now sold my diesel 2 litre auto Cruze after 2 years & 20,000 miles and only got £7000 in p/x but I got £2500 off my new Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel auto which has a very similar autobox to the Cruze there is no turbo lag and the acceleration from standstill is excellent compared to the Cruze. However like most cars it has its downside a jacking system not fit for purpose and rectified att service no warranty claims on the Cruze, however overall mpg 29.4 Ceed 34 mpg.

Disbeliever, I thought (or hoped) you had left the country.

For the benefit of other forum users and moderators Disbeliver has been banned from 2 Kia forums because of his abbusive posts, racist comments, constant and pointless moans about parts of his car that everyone else was happy with e.g. the jacking system. He was brought down by a scam he tried regarding Great Ormond Street Hospital.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 11 months - oldroverboy.

11 months on, drove to France and belgium for 6 days, 3 people and bagage, 1300 miles at motorway speeds, and mixed driving,broght back some wine (60 bottles) and pleasantly surpried to get overall Mpg of 38 measuring brim to brim, Zeroed odometer at start, and ended at 1301 miles. Quite pleased with that and no more dpf problems too.

Now done 10000 miles since purchase and still pleased with car.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 18 months - oldroverboy.

Now nearly 36.000 miles, 3rd year service £128 + oil supplied by me at chevrolet main dealer, car returned washed as well. informed front pads would require replacement soon. No problems to report, so still happyish.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 05/02/2014 at 11:15

Chevrolet Cruze - After 18 months - SteveLee

Did you ever do anything about your headlights? I've found the (road legal) Osram Nightbreakers to be a useful upgrade to any conventional headlight. Yours are H4s I believe? Only £17 a pair at Eurocarparts (£35 at Halfords): www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Chevrolet_Cruze_1.6_201...7

I find the colour spectrum of the bulbs produce more visable reflections off white lines and signs at night too - bonus.

Chevrolet Cruze - After 18 months - oldroverboy.

No, didn't do anything about bulbs, but adjusted lights to legal highest point, driving less at night now too, and slowing down as well.

Not sure i would want to buy bulbs via the post...

Chevrolet Cruze - After 18 months - SteveLee

No, didn't do anything about bulbs, but adjusted lights to legal highest point, driving less at night now too, and slowing down as well.

Not sure i would want to buy bulbs via the post...

You don't have to buy by post there are well over a hundred ECP branches all over the country - prices are the same - unless it's a web offer then you can click-and-collect to get the web price in store. They come in a strong case and I suspect they would be subjected to far less vibration during postal transit than caused by fitment and use in a motor vehicle. Still, if you're not doing much night driving then there's no point.