Any - Reporting potholes - Ethan Edwards

Anyone else use Fixmystreet or take it up directly with the Councils website?

I do. I try to report half a dozen at a time. They do seem to be fixing them albeit slowly. My experience is that Essex CC respond better to the Fixmystreet site as long as you post a photo. I guess it shames them.

Yesterday I re-reported a pothole that had been fixed (badly) about two weeks previously. The repair is already failing. We taxpayers get very poor value for money.

Can I urge you all to just spend a few minutes from time to time and report the poor state of the roads in your area. Together we can make a difference.

Any - Reporting potholes - John F

Good for you, Ethan - I do it all the time. They are particularly unpleasant for utility cyclists like myself, especially on country roads where the edges of the road often collapse and fragment.

Any - Reporting potholes - Engineer Andy

From talking to firends, family and work colleagues and from personal over the years, I think the quality of each council's highway fault reporting service varies enormously, some that respond reasonably quickly to both acknowledge your report and to do the work, whereas others don't send any reply (even an auto reply witha reference number) and take months to complete what should be urgent work.

Many councils' highway fault reporting services have exremely long-winded ways of reporting faults, some making doing so almost impossible (repoting potholes is normally the easiest), such as faulty streetlights of signage, as many expect you to give either an exact location and/or the number of the light/sign - very difficult when you're driving down a long road at speed. A few decent council websites have maps WITH the lights/signs marked on them (all you need to do is count how many lights from X landmark/junction), and you can also "mark the spot" for potholes, etc, which removes the need for reaslly details location wording...but many don't offer this service. As a result, some areas never get potholes, lights, etc repaired for years, as no council staff check (even if they're passing - unless its a major & obvious problem).

I think it also depends on the council whether they bother taking notice of "Fixmystreet" or similar - larger problems with road are only fixed at the whim of the council officials and/or councillors.

Any - Reporting potholes - bathtub tom

I always use fixmystreet as it puts the problem in the public domain. If any damage's caused at a susbsequent date the evidence is there.

Any - Reporting potholes - Bromptonaut

I've reported faults regularly to Camden LBC reularly over the last eight or so years. They've always been very prompt with at least a temporary repair applied within 24hours.

Northampton much less satisfactory. Two regular problems. Railings on a bend approaching the village are taken out by chavmobiles about twice a year. Months of nagging before they're replaced or even striaghtened so as not to be an obstruction to road or pavement.

Other is the bus lane markings on Black Lion Hill approaching the rail station. Worn to point of invisibility in dry daytime never mind wet/dark and left that way for months. Mind you, as the police have not the slightest intention of enforcing it the lane's useless anyway. More cars in it during its operative hours then out of peak when its available to all.

Any - Reporting potholes - TeeCee

>> Railings on a bend approaching the village are taken out by chavmobiles about twice a year.

Sounds like the real problem is in having railings rather than concrete bollards or solid iron posts.

Any - Reporting potholes - Hamsafar

Yes, I use it mostly on the iPhone via the StreetReport.app.

I report all kinds of municipal problems, not just potholes.

Any - Reporting potholes - Bromptonaut

>> Railings on a bend approaching the village are taken out by chavmobiles about twice a year.

Sounds like the real problem is in having railings rather than concrete bollards or solid iron posts.

Interesting thought. Recent (c2010) chicane in village had cast iron posts. After being demolished twice by cars failing to stop they've been replaced by frangible plastic 'pass to right' arrows.

The fence protects a pavement/cycle way on a sharp bend. It just needs to be beefier.

Any - Reporting potholes - Engineer Andy

Northampton much less satisfactory. Two regular problems. Railings on a bend approaching the village are taken out by chavmobiles about twice a year. Months of nagging before they're replaced or even striaghtened so as not to be an obstruction to road or pavement.

I found the same problem with Northants CC a few months ago when reporting a number of major potholes - they took 4 months to affect ANY repair, which is really poor, given that they were on a busy junction just where vehicles turn and accelerate.

Any - Reporting potholes - ear8dmg

I live in Sheffield and work in Chesterfield. I report potholes etc on Fixmystreet fairly regularly.

Both Sheffield City Council and Derbyshire County Council do seem to get around to fixing the problems. Derbyshire generally do it in a day or two. Sheffield tend to take a few weeks.

Any - Reporting potholes - Bobbin Threadbare

What is a 'reasonable' amount of time? Councils are likely to be weaselly about this sort of vagueness!