KIA Ceed 2L diesel Sport 3 years old 33,000 miles - No accelerator - loss of power - engine stops - Morton

KIA CEED 2L Diesel Sport – 3 years old, 33,000 miles, majority motorway miles

Yesterday driving at 30mph the engine seemed to die. But it is the accelerator not working. As it is in 4 th the engine stalled. When I stopped and re-started it ran at 800rpm unable to increase revs, when I press the accelerator the engine stopped. (tank is half full) I went for the car this morning and it started after three tries and ran but not 100%, pressing accelerator down to rev it up it seems a little spongy or delayed but does rev up.

This happened once about four weeks ago, suddenly no power, I came to a stop and pressed the accelerator up and down and all seemed normal. Then last week it stalled once, I thought I’d changed down badly. I re-started and was then fine until yesterday.

The Kia dealer is 25 miles away and I really don’t want to risk driving the car that far. When it fails it slows down quickly without break lights and someone is likely to run into me.

I’m unsure if it’s an engine management problem or a fuel starvation problem. Is it possible to test this to confirm. I wonder if it’s an engine management problem that they will fix it and say it was fuel line and charge me as that isn’t covered by the warranty. If it’s not possible to be engine management then I can always take it to someone much nearer.

Many thanks< William

KIA Ceed 2L diesel Sport 3 years old 33,000 miles - No accelerator - loss of power - engine stops - gordonbennet

Hopefully you have breakdown cover of some sort, this would seem an ideal moment to get something for your contributions.

The car is under warranty, use it.

Don't understand your last sentence, is your main dealer a spiv?, why would they risk all by fixing something and then lying openly in order to charge the customer a few quid more instead of the maker for a warranty fix?, if they did such a thing, then sooner or later someone who works there would leave under a cloud and blow the whistle...ten minutes later they would no longer have a main dealer franchise.

So long as you haven't been putting the wrong stuff in the fuel tank then can't see you have any worries.

KIA Ceed 2L diesel Sport 3 years old 33,000 miles - No accelerator - loss of power - engine stops - Morton

I was asking for ideas on the problem.

I don't think my main dealer is a spiv at all and don't need your pompus assumptions

Plus, if I had put the "wrong stuff" in the tank I would have mentioned that as it would have changed totally the problem

KIA Ceed 2L diesel Sport 3 years old 33,000 miles - No accelerator - loss of power - engine stops - gordonbennet

'' I wonder if it’s an engine management problem that they will fix it and say it was fuel line and charge me as that isn’t covered by the warranty.''

^^ From your OP ^^ sounds like you have complete faith in your main dealers integrity ;)

Other than that, the best of luck to you...cheerio.