Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi 130 - engine surging when de-powering - DuncanSuperb

not quite sure how to describe this problem - not that i'm intending to try to fix it myself but would be good to go to my mechanic with half an idea of what it might be...

basically, the car runs absolutely fine until I'm travelling at highish speed in 4th or 5th gear, when i take the gas off to coast or to slow down, the engine gives little surges and then depowers. It's almost as if there is fuel injected and then cut off - the result is a jerky deceleration. If I use the cruise control it doesn't happen.

Any thoughts?

Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi 130 - engine surging when de-powering - Crasher

Are you pressing the clutch when slowing down without the cruise? A fault code read would be a good idea and this may show a problem with the clutch pedal position switch.

Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi 130 - engine surging when de-powering - DuncanSuperb

no, i'm not touching the clutch but just easing off on the gas. At first it just coasts as you'd expect but then after a short while i experience short bursts/surges followed by an opposite depowering, if i touch the gas, it runs smooth again. I don't seem to get the problem below about 2000rpm.

Skoda Superb 1.9 tdi 130 - engine surging when de-powering - 659FBE

Check your brake lamp switch, using VCDS.

On these cars the switch is a dual unit, one half operating the lamps and the other informing the engine ECU of pedal position. If, due to a faulty switch the ECU thinks you have the brakes applied, the engine power will be cut. The idea is to stop the car "doing a Toyota". It also cancels cruise.

The switches are poorly designed, extremely unreliable and cheap and easy to change.

Edited by 659FBE on 22/09/2012 at 23:35