TR7 - Buying a seized car - x15

Hi new to the forum,

What happens if one buys a car that has been seized?

As I understand it the car would have been seized for a different debt as it is old so unlikely to be outstanding finance on the vehicle itself.

I'm presuming the car won't have a V5 either.

What do we need to ask the seller? How do we protect ourselves legally if purchasing such a car?

Many thanks for any help.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - tony g
What you need to establish ,is who actually owns the car .

Under what circumstances was the car seized ,thier is nothing to stop you applying for a v5 before you actually buy the car ,just to be certain the previous registered keepers don't object to you having a v5 .

However , please remember ,having the car registered in your name doesn't guarantee ownership of the car .

I would guess that the difficulty you face is that you would be able to buy the car cheaply ,they were always a badly made car .But you could spend a lot of money renovating the car and then find you don't own it .

Proceed with caution .

Thanks Tony,

It turned out I couldn't quite knock him down to my price, for sure it needed a lot of work too. There will be better ones out there and with the question marks over ownership, I think I'll leave this one alone. Many thanks for the reply.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - 1litregolfeater

If you presumably don't want to flaunt the previous owner's unfortunate circumstances around town, just get some private plates and change the wheel trims.

That would be one way!

I think if it was a cheap run around I might have taken the risk.

Unfortunately I'm looking for a car as the base for a rally replica build. I would guess the final value of the vehicle could be in excess of 15K - the car also needs it's orginal identity to compete.

So just too much of a risk. There probably would have been very little left of the original car after the build, but to build something of that value with a question mark over legal title could have been invinting a major problem. I have to assume the guy that owned it was in a difficult position (along with most of us at the moment) but what if he then found out he could challenge for the legal ownership of a 15K car?

It's something I had never really given much thought to in the past, but now a bit wiser.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - focussed

Thanks Tony,

It turned out I couldn't quite knock him down to my price, for sure it needed a lot of work too. There will be better ones out there and with the question marks over ownership, I think I'll leave this one alone. Many thanks for the reply.

A good result-you have almost certainly saved yourself a whole load of grief-they were never the most desirable of cars even when they were fashionable.

I'll still face the grief lol, what I didn't mention is that it was very hard to walk away! I kind of liked everything about it. I got hooked in around 1976 as a kid. You know the way these things fester until mid-life crisis?

Still with all the rally mods, she'll be a beast - 300 BHP and able to handle herself on tarmac, just glad though I didn't buy a wrong 'un to start with.

Edited by x15 on 25/09/2012 at 21:54

TR7 - Buying a seized car - Butterfly
Wouldn't an hpi check come up with info on whether the car was was clear of hire purchase (ie the registered owner may not actually have clear title even though their name is on the log book)?
Hi ,
Sadly a simple HPI check doesn't guarantee title to a car .Finance companies are not legally obliged to register thier interest in a car with HPI ,even though most do .Even if they don't register thier interest,they still hold title to a car .Nonsense I know ,but that's how it works .

To protect yourself against a finance company recovering a car , you need to do a full HPI check that includes finance ,in addition you need to register your search with HPI .That will provide the protection you need .The cost on autotrader is £20 .

The original op didn't specifically mention HP .Thier are other types of finance and lien that can affect clear title on a car .Log book loans ,or credit notes ,are usually not registered with HPI .In addition a car that's been seized by customs and excise could have title issues .

The only real protection is the insurance offered by HPI .

Potentially title to a car can be a nightmare .

Tony g
TR7 - Buying a seized car - dieselnut

' The only real protection is the insurance offered by HPI . '

Read their Ts & Cs very carefully, there are lots of hoops to jump through if you need to claim.

( The only real protection is the insurance offered by HPI )

Hi,as far as I'm aware theirs no alternative to the insurance offered by HPI /pinnacle .In addition it's included in the fee you pay to HPI ,so it must be good value .

Exclusions are shown below .Thier are some interesting exclusions ,no mot ?prudent purchaser ?.However it does seem to cover outstanding finance issues .

SIGNIFICANT EXCLUSIONS AND CONDITIONS
The most significant exclusions of this policy are set out below, but there are other exclusions and conditions that may be significant to you. For full details of the exclusions, please refer to Sections 3 and 4 in the policy document.
• Any loss resulting from any incident prior to the vehicle’s first registration with DVLA or DVLNI.
• Any loss where a vehicle has been purchased without a valid MOT Test Certificate (where compulsory).
• Any loss as a result of the vehicle bearing false Vehicle Registration Marks or Vehicle Identification Numbers.
• Any loss arising from a fraudulent transaction.
• Legal costs, expenses, loss of use or loss of profit incurred by the Insured.
• Any loss sustained where the vehicle has not been purchased from the registered keeper if a private sale.
• Where the insured is deemed not to be a Prudent Purchaser.
• Where the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) supplied by the insured does not correspond with the VIN on the vehicle or that confirmed by the vehicle data check.
TR7 - Buying a seized car - bettymiller

I think you need an expert for this auto problems. It is really irritating whenever you go to a dealership and get crowded by three or four sellers attempting to sell you something. I came across a site that helped me pick out one of the very best sellers in my area. It was much simpler to look at all of my options, and the sellers were there as soon as I needed them. With xxxx you get the most perfect vehicle buying experience achievable. So stop by xxxx now!

(Edit: attempt at free advertising removed)

Edited by Avant on 27/12/2012 at 18:38

TR7 - Buying a seized car - FP

Looks like another freeloader. And why do they think that links to a USA car dealer will generate any revenue from a UK website?

So - (1) it's a freeloader.

(2) It's a dumb - in the American sense - freeloader.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - nortones2

Geography not a strong point with Yanks?

TR7 - Buying a seized car - thunderbird

I would rather buy a TR7 that had been siezed than a Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep.

When will this site stop these scammers posting. Other sites have stopped them but this one appears to have an open door policy.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - Avant

No we don't, Thunderbird. Not for the first time, it would help if you got your brain in gear before your keyboard.

You can't prevent a new poster from registering with a new E-mail address, although we can and do ban persistent spammers if their domain name is the same for each new address. We also disable their account, which usually stops the one-offs.

We take this action because it isn't fair on our advertisers who pay. There's no need for this to annoy anyone else - just ignore them.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - thunderbird

No we don't, Thunderbird. Not for the first time, it would help if you got your brain in gear before your keyboard.

You can't prevent a new poster from registering with a new E-mail address, although we can and do ban persistent spammers if their domain name is the same for each new address. We also disable their account, which usually stops the one-offs.

We take this action because it isn't fair on our advertisers who pay. There's no need for this to annoy anyone else - just ignore them.

How many times do scammers have to register before you act. Just look at the recent fiaso with the link that downloaded some sort of spyware or malware, that scammer must have registered at least 5 times before he disapeared. Posters were warning not to click on the link for weeks before the site finally acted..

Surely you can tell the difference between a paying advertiser and a scammer.

Yes, my brain is in gear.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - FP

To be fair to Avant (as he's the one that seems to do the vast majority of moderating), the point is not being able to tell the difference between a paying advertiser and a scammer - it's telling the difference between a scammer and a straightforward member of the forum like you or me. Once someone has posted something offensive, they can be banned, but there's nothing to prevent them from re-registering under a different name and e-mail address.

What I don't understand (not being particularly good with computers) is why the site cannot detect IP addresses and use these to identify persistent offenders.

I do agree that sometimes it seems to take a long time to remove offending posts, but I imagine that's down to how many moderators are on duty at any time; my guess is that it's mainly Avant and he's not on duty that much. No doubt he has other things to do and maybe the site needs more moderation, in the form of more time/people working on it.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - RT

I too can sympathise with the moderators task, having done that job on a totally different forum.

Most software use for forums can indeed block specific IP addresses but the ver increasing number of internet users, around the world, using some form of wireless connection with dynamic addressing makes this much more difficult.

I make a point of using the "Report" feature as this may come to a moderators attention more quickly than reading through everyone's postings.

TR7 - Buying a seized car - Avant

Thank you very much, FP and RT, for your helpful comments.

in fact I look at the forum most days, usually in the evening as a refuge from TV, and Boris the Spider is often there in the morning. We remove links from those who try for a free advert and disable their accounts: this normally sees off the majority who don't come back.

There haven't been many serial offenders until recently - some outfit in Vietnam it seems - and once I realised that he kept coming back I asked our developer for help, and he was able to get shot of the idiot - probably by blocking the IP address.

We act, of course, to protect paying advertisers, who are known. It's mildly annoying for the moderators, but not really an issue for anyone else: forum members normally have the sense not to open the link.

What I find far more annoying is a small minority of posters with too much time on their hands who continually complain (ignoring the fact that the mods are volunteers) and - much worse - make grumpy, unhelpful comments to new, often inexperienced, original posters who are simply asking for advice. Even if the mess they have got into is self-inflicted, we can still offer sympathy; or even if there's not much we can do to help, giving the position straight and without reproach, as Dwight Van Driver does, is very useful and part of what this forum is for.