VW Polo W Reg - EPC Light and Control Unit - BizziLizzi

Can anyone please help! My car wouldn't start so the garage put in a new relay and temperature transmitter. After this the car would only start when the EPC light came on but something that the garage warned me about. Whilst ever the light was on the car would start and work okay. When the key was turned the light would come on every two or three tries but then it became every ten or eleven but again, when the EPC light came on the ignition would work. Unfortunately I now have no light and no turnover.

The RAC are at a complete loss, been out twice, and diagnosed everything from a problem with the transponder key to a defective control unit. The codes were reset and all should have worked according to the man that came out but after two hours he just couldn't find the fault. He eventually said it was a wiring problem.

The car has now been in the garage two days but no joy. I have been warned that it might mean a new control unit and over £1000 to replace/labour from a VW garage.

My local garage is determined to fix this without going to such lengths but can anyone shed any light on a possible cause and solution? Sorry I can't explain it better but I don't really understand cars!! Many thanks.