Ford Focus 1.6 Estate 2008 - Engine Management - Robbie7712

Engine Management YELLOW warning light has come on --162,500 km-- during 500 mile journey,

and stayed on. Vehicle previously no problems. No loss of power/ acceleration.

However, day after journey, --on Startup, Engine has tinny/rattle noise. Any idea as to what the problem is? As no previous EM Warning Light problem, I suspect LamdaSonde--not Cat--but that doesn't account for sudden Engine noise!

Ford Focus 1.6 Estate 2008 - Engine Management - injection doc

I trust you have checked the engine oil level ?

Engine oil checked every day--as it was before startup this time. Oil/Filter change done 2000km ago--no oil loss since.--normal. The performance is good---for that journey--actually 740km--required 51.3 liters--which means 41 mpg--and that at Autobahn speeds upto 150kmh and a 50 min period in a traffic accident holdup at idle revs--which points to the engine being in good condition. I wonder if this might be Timing belt /Chain problem---I think the engine is the 1.6L Duratec-16V (Sigma)

Edited by Robbie7712 on 09/09/2012 at 13:52

Engine oil checked every day--as it was before startup this time. Oil/Filter change done 2000km ago--no oil loss since.--normal. The performance is good---for that journey--actually 740km--required 51.3 liters--which means 41 mpg--and that at Autobahn speeds upto 150kmh and a 50 min period in a traffic accident holdup at idle revs--which points to the engine being in good condition. I wonder if this might be Timing belt /Chain problem---I think the engine is the 1.6L Duratec-16V (Sigma)

Further observation and listening makes me think this may be Tappet noise or Injectors-definitely seems to be top-side, not deep in the block---but why so sudden---I would have thought such things would gradually get louder--this noise started overnight! --a local Workshop couldn't--wouldn't-- hazard a guess---open-up the engine to investigate--but that costs too much on spec'