Nigeria! - Ian (Cape Town)
I'm off to Lagos next Tuesday, on business.
Apparently their roads and driving make ours seem quite civilised!
I'll keep the Back Room posted as to the developments - and also see if I can get some exotic snaps!
Nigeria! - Oz
Spent a year there, 1972-73. The Ikorodu Road (connecting Lagos city and Ikeja industrial area) was supposedly in the Guinness Book of Records at one time as one of the Top 10 most dangerous roads of the world (fatalies per mile). Down to chaotic driving, overcrowding of vehicles, nil maintenance on vehicles, etc. Not that I would wish to discourage you Ian! - but there must have been 30 years of improvement since then. Look forward to your report.
Nigeria! - terryb
Anything to get away from the cricket world cup eh Ian?

Terry
Nigeria! - alex
I presume you're taking SAA ... ?

Best to allow plenty of time for check-in. You'll probably find most passengers are carrying excess baggage of one form or another !
Nigeria! - volvoman
From what I saw on a recent fly on the wall documentary series on Lagos Airport you should have an 'interesting' time Ian.

Made friends with loads of Nigerians whilst studying Land Surveying in London in the early 80's. Without exception they were kind and generous hosts so enjoy the hospitality if not the organisation !
Nigeria! - Harmattan
See if you can pick up a nearly new RHD Peugeot 504. They were still being made until recently and there might even be a few new kits left. And don't lose your yellow fever certificate. I did and ended up in a line of about 20 people at Apapa Port where we were injected in quickfire succession by a 'doctor' with a multi-shot syringe apparatus. This was before AIDS became a major problem so things have probably changed.

Seconding the mention of uncertain vehicle maintenance. I had then engine of my Citroen out by one Nigerian roadside mechanic and back in for peanuts to cure an oil leak from the transmission. Another solved a leaking brake pipe damaged by a stone on unmade roads by disconnecting the pipe and welding it up. Foolishly I didn't check until I was a few hundred miles away.

Enjoy your trip.