Peugeot 405 1.9TD 1995 XUD9 TE/L - Should I use original or an equivilent. - Max xt

I replaced the fuel filter a few months ago after a breakdown, (symptoms of running out of fuel). This fixed the car and that started another problem. difficult starting. I now have to prime the fuel on a regular basis to start. Then again another breakdown, same symptoms, another filter, and away she went. I have renewed the leakoff pipes, and when she is running pulls like a train. Has 185,000 on the clock, so just run in.....

I was told that these engines perform best with original Peugeot filters only, the replacements I used were NOT could this be a fact , or just fiction.

Thanx in advance.

Peugeot 405 1.9TD 1995 XUD9 TE/L - Should I use original or an equivilent. - Peter.N.

I would suggest that you remove the filter and check that there is no forein matter on or around the seal, when you screw the filter housing tighten it a little at a time and rotate the housing a little each time, this should ensure that it seals properly.

The actual primer can also leak air, don't know whether that year had a rubber bulb type or a plunger, on the latter the diaphragm can fail.

The join with the plastic fuel line and the metal pipe that goes to the tank can also fail, the plastic often cracks, this should be just behind the engine.

If all else fails try parking the car on a steep downward slope, if you can get the fuel tank above the engine you may be able to see diesel leaking out.

Peugeot 405 1.9TD 1995 XUD9 TE/L - Should I use original or an equivilent. - Max xt

The filter housing fitted is the one on the front of the engine, the top is secured by 4 allen bolts, the primer is of the later bulb type, this is new.

Peugeot 405 1.9TD 1995 XUD9 TE/L - Should I use original or an equivilent. - thunderbird

Surely its worth a try.

Peugeot 405 1.9TD 1995 XUD9 TE/L - Should I use original or an equivilent. - elekie&a/c doctor

A 405 of this age and mileage is likely to suffer with front shaft seal leaking on the pump.This would certainly cause poor starting due to entry of air.hth

A 405 of this age and mileage is likely to suffer with front shaft seal leaking on the pump.This would certainly cause poor starting due to entry of air.hth

Hi, would the seal be a fast breakdown or gradual, as my problems did not increase over a long period but fairly short space of time. Rob

Peugeot 405 1.9TD 1995 XUD9 TE/L - Should I use original or an equivilent. - Peter.N.

If the seal has gone you will be able to see it leaking.

I have used pattern filters on most of my diesels and never had a problem.

You seem to have ruled out the filter housing and primer, have you checked the join between the plastic and metal pipes?

I suppose it doesn't have a fuel heater, the 2.1 engines did and it used to go pourous and let air in, follow the fuel pipe from the filter backwards, if it has a heater it will be on the gearbox end of the cylinder head, if it has, disconnect the pipes and join them together.

Edited by Peter.N. on 08/09/2012 at 19:17