Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - Ketan

Hi All,

This may have been asked before, so I apologies for asking again.

I do around 80 miles a day round trip. 10 miles is going in and out of town.

Wondering what would be best suited car for my journey, I drive sensibly, sticking to around 60 MPH to save fuel and cash :-) Don't over rev the car, breaking smootly ..

I was thinking a Ford Fiesta 1.4 Edge, or maybe a 1.6 engine, spending around £6 - 8K.

Any advise would be great, hope I provided the right info & sorry for posting again

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - Ethan Edwards

80 miles a day is easily 20K a year. You sir should turbo diesel it.

french PSA diesels are numerous and cheap. Specifically Peugeot 307 etc. Spend say 5K and keep the remainder for any unforseen repairs.

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - Bobbin Threadbare

You would be in diesel territory for that mileage, but I did a very similar commute in a petrol car and it worked out about the same as having had diesel, with the extra few pence on the diesel price. But then I like how petrol cars handle and I found a good car that I could afford, which is important.

If you're set on a Fiesta, I can say that they really aren't bad on the motorway; pretty comfortable and it's only the big hills where you'd want some extra power. On a commute, the car has to be comfy (and for me it has to have a good stereo). So a decent alternative would be the Mazda 2. The Toyota Yaris is also good.

Oh also - www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/34968/best-small...l-

You might find that and the review helpful.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 05/09/2012 at 18:32

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - bear807
Go buy yourself a used new shape Suzuki alto, cheap to buy cheap to run good economic won't break your bank for sure
Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - SteveLee

A petrol Fiesta is a decent motorway car, although if I wanted a small car to handle 20K miles per year motorway commutes the Fiat Panda diesel is an excellent (long legged) motorway cruiser, as is the Citroen C3 1.4 HDI. You'll see around 60mpg crusing at 60mph in the latter, around 10mpg less in the Panda.

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - Leif

For £8K you can get a new VW Up, I got 65mpg for a 60 mile commute, 30 miles each way, mainly motorway. It feels nippier than the Fiesta 1.2 I was loaned a few years ago, which I did not like. I suggest you test drive one on a motorway. Shorter than a Fiesta, but similar room inside. Smaller engine, but lighter car. Skoda alternative is a bit cheaper, same for Seat one too.

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - MikeTorque

For less than 8k you'll get a nice Fiesta 1.6 TDCi (around 2 years) for that money. Driving at around 60mph you can expect massive mpg.

Also lots of 1.4 TDCi's around but the engine is less refined than the 1.6 TDCi, economy is good.

Not so many 1.6 petrol around, plenty of 1.4 so a larger choice.

Personal choice, depends on your preference for petrol or diesel engines and the differing handling characteristics as a result.

Travelling 20k/year I'd choose the 1.6 TDCi with a spec. suitable for my needs. The Econetic offers a more comfortable & quieter ride than the standard 1.6 TDCi models due to it's higher & narrower profile tyres and suspension tweets.

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - Ketan

Thanks everyone for the quick reply.

It was down to the Peugeot 207 HDI 110 GT or the Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium.

I have devided to go with the Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium model. I did consider going for the Econetic but thought i'd like a more "smoother" ride.

I only choose the Fiesta as it's cheap to insure, cheap road tax, cheaper to run and maintain.

Of course the Peugeot had more power which is nice, but i'd be cursing along around 62 / 65MPH

Thanks again for your advise.

K.

Ford Fiesta - Which car for motorway commute - Bobbin Threadbare

Of course the Peugeot had more power which is nice, but i'd be cursing along around 62 / 65MPH

Thanks again for your advise.

K.

Good typo Ketan - you probably would be cursing if you bought a Peugeot....