2010 Seat Leon FR CR170 - Petrol in a diesel AAAARGH!!! - Bruce G

I managed to put about 12 litres of V-Power petriol into my empty Leon tank and then proceeded to brim it with around 45 litres of V-Power diesel.

Like an idiot (as I now know) I started the car and thinking I may have gotten away with it, drove it for around 10 miles whereupon the car spluttered to a halt.

So apart from draing the tank and replacing the filter what else will I need to do? Anyone think that the HPFP may be ruined?

As an aside the pump at the Shell station I was using only had regular unleaded, V-Power unleaded and V-Power diesel. Shell use the same colour "pump shrouds" for both V-Power unleaded and diesel. Surely i can't be the only person that thinks this is a bit daft?

2010 Seat Leon FR CR170 - Petrol in a diesel AAAARGH!!! - unthrottled

Shame is isn't a PD, you'd have got away with it!

Seriously, all you can do is drain the tank and change the filter and see it runs. The HPFP could be damaged but I think you'll be ok. The petrol would have reduced the viscosity of the fuel and after 10 miles of driving, the fuel warmed up, further reducing the viscosity until the pump couldn't build enough pressure to crack the injector nozzles and the engine stalled. It doesn't mean it is ruined. Good luck!

2010 Seat Leon FR CR170 - Petrol in a diesel AAAARGH!!! - Bruce G

Thanks for that; I hope I have dodged an expensive bullet too!

Waiting to hear from the garage for a prgress report.

Has anyone tried any of these "fuel doctor" franchises and companies? The ones that come out and "suck" the contaminated fuel from your tank? Be interested to hear your comments and/or recommendations...

2010 Seat Leon FR CR170 - Petrol in a diesel AAAARGH!!! - 659FBE

I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. Unfortunately, the prospects for a fuel lubricated pump operating at rail pressures of about 1.8 kBar in petrol are not at all good. I hope you find an economic fix.

The reason for posting is to make a couple of practical suggestions to others in order to avoid this. I have been shot at by the H&S nannies for the second but I'll post it anyway.

1. Keep a plastic glove tucked in behind the fuel flap. In a hurry, you'll wonder why it's there and be on your gaurd. It could even be useful.

2. Always sniff the nozzle of the garage pump before fuelling. This procedure double checks your own method and will further guard against garage errors whereby the delivery driver fuells the wrong underground tank - not unknown.

2010 Seat Leon FR CR170 - Petrol in a diesel AAAARGH!!! - Big John

>2. Always sniff the nozzle of the garage pump before fuelling. This procedure double >checks your own method and will further guard against garage errors whereby the >delivery driver fuells the wrong underground tank - not unknown.

>659.

Indeed,

My lift share filled up his previous Ibiza sdi with a deisel/petrol mix from the wrong underground garage tank (receipt showed diesel). He obviously didn't realize this but as it was old technology (pre pd mechanical injection) he actually managed to drive a further 20miles - couldn't restart this the next morning though. Once drained and flushed it ran OK and he had no further problems with the fuel injection for about a further 100k in his ownership.

Clearly you wouldn't get away with this on modern diesels.

2010 Seat Leon FR CR170 - Petrol in a diesel AAAARGH!!! - unthrottled

I'm not so sure that the Bosch VP rotary pumps (in direct injection guise) are any more robust than common rail. The ubiquitous Bosch VP pump wasn't the most robust pump. I'm sure a lot of CR diesels have been 'treated' to a dose of unleaded by an unwitting occasional user and quietly topped up with diesel and survived.

I think there's a good chance that when drained pf petrol and refilled, this pump will live to fight another day.