Breakdown cover - Ian
Hi,
I am looking for budget breakdown cover (recovery only) for my aging Nissan Bluebird, can you recommend any company or any special offers that are on at the moment.
Many thanks,
Ian.
Re: Breakdown cover - Darcy Kitchin
Ian
Got cover for £60 from GEM for self & wife. It's different to other services in that you pay the recovery service, then claim back. There's an earlier thread on 30/06/01 about it.
Re: Breakdown cover - David Bell
I've been in GEM since 1995 and claimed last September after I was recovered back from Northampton to Leeds, I got my claim back within a couple of days with no hassle, just remember to keep the receipts, i'd certainly recommend them.
Re: Breakdown cover - Dave
RAC.

75 quid. Any car or bike covered.
Re: Breakdown cover - Stuart B
Green flag, again you can pick your service, just recovery if you wish. Mrs B (ex AA) had the normal breakdown cover but not recovery as she does not go far, £35 with Marks & Sparks card.
Stuart B wrote:
>
> Green flag, again you can pick your service, just recovery if
> you wish. Mrs B (ex AA) had the normal breakdown cover but
> not recovery as she does not go far, £35 with Marks & Sparks
> card.

Green flag are not cheaper and only cover you for a *specific* car.

If you're in a mates car it's no use.

If you see someone standing by the side of the road in trouble you can't give them a free tow.
Re: Breakdown cover - Stuart B
Dave wrote:
>
> Stuart B wrote:
> >
> > Green flag, again you can pick your service, just recovery if
> > you wish. Mrs B (ex AA) had the normal breakdown cover but
> > not recovery as she does not go far, £35 with Marks & Sparks
> > card.
>
> Green flag are not cheaper and only cover you for a
> *specific* car.
>
> If you're in a mates car it's no use.
>
> If you see someone standing by the side of the road in
> trouble you can't give them a free tow.

BUT THE QUESTION WHICH IAN ASKED WAS

"I am looking for budget breakdown cover (recovery only) for my aging Nissan Bluebird, can you recommend any company or any special offers that are on at the moment."

Plus where I come from £35 is less than £75! But then I'm just a thick Yorkshireman!
Stuart B wrote:

> BUT THE QUESTION WHICH IAN ASKED WAS
>
> "I am looking for budget breakdown cover (recovery only) for
> my aging Nissan Bluebird, can you recommend any company or
> any special offers that are on at the moment."

But if it's ageing he may sell it/ scrap within the year. (Perhaps with a VW - but that another thread ;-) ) All things being equal he would be better off with an any car service!

> Plus where I come from £35 is less than £75! But then I'm
> just a thick Yorkshireman!

IIRC 35 quid isn't recovery.
Re: Breakdown cover - David Woollard
Ian,

Bit nervous of a post here in case I get my nuts chewed off (more valium Dave!).

I would be wary of the recovery only option. Most of them have small print that says if, in their opinion, the fault can be rectified by the roadside they will do that and charge you....... not just recover to a place of your choice.

Break down with an alternator fault on a Renault Laguna Diesel and the guy might say "I will have to do a roadside repair under the terms of our agreement, I happen to have one back at the garage and I'll have it fitted in 30 mins....how would you like to pay the £300!"

We had the recovery only option for the first five years of our motoring until experience taught us it was likely to be the sort of daft thing that could be fixed that would go wrong. Thankfully transmission failure or engines blowing apart (the things you really need recovery for) are rare now.

We have an RAC joint roadside repair service at present, £39 for on-line sign-up...covers us both for any car, even as a passenger. At least that gets us help on a wet night then we can see what happens from there.

David
David Woollard wrote:
>
> Ian,
>
> Bit nervous of a post here in case I get my nuts chewed off
> (more valium Dave!).

I got beaten at squash Monday night. Could you tell? ;-)