Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - logan5

Hi folks,

I am in the process of purchasing a used vehicle, the dealer is offering 12 months warranty and the ability to extend for a further 24 months at a cost of £400 (reduced from £800 ) if I pay on the day of collection in cash.

This seems rather dubious to me, why the need for 'cash'. Is this the 'commission' the dealer gets and he's already built the warranty cost into the purchase price?

I am also very dubious of any warranty provided by Auto Protect, Google seems to be littered with complaints about them. I don't normally buy extended warranties but we only intend to keep the vehicle for 1-2 years so thought having the extra year or two warranty might be a good selling point (but not if it's totally useless!)

cheers

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - bathtub tom

The phrase 'fools and their money' spring to mind.

I wouldn't even consider buying a car from a dealer who trys this kind of trick.

No offence Tony G.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - tony g
Hi Tom,not sure why you've brought me into this one ,I never sell warranties ,I give them away with each car I sell ,I explain that they cover relatively little and most customers seem happy with that .

Even though I used to teach salesmen how to sell extended warranties ,I honestly never try to sell them ,now I work for myself .The experience of most used car buyers is a negative one with warranties .From a dealers perspective you can very quickly turn the posative experience of buying a car ,into a negative one,when the extended warranty that they paid extra for ,that the dealer recommended ,wont pay out .

After all warranties only exsist to create extra profit for the dealer and the warranty company .

Regards

Tony g
Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - No FM2R II

Ask him to put the warranty offer in writing and see what happens.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - Collos25

If he runs this part of the business in such away then its pretty obvious he is a rip off merchant and by implication the car will be overpriced and have a hidden history.

My advice look elsewhere for a car from a decent dealer they do exist.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - madf

Does anyone seriously expect a warranty paid for by cash to be legit?

I mean seriously?

Sounds like Arthur Daley..

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - bonzo dog

If he runs this part of the business in such away then its pretty obvious he is a rip off merchant

I wonder if posters would be making similar statements if the OP had originally written "Plumber wants paying in cash"

Or would everyone simply think "I'm geting it a bit cheaper cause he's avoiding paying tax on the transaction" & give him cash willingly.

Obviously this is likely to be the same for this particular dealer but to be on the safe side simply make sure you recieve an invoice for the goods (in this case the warranty) at the actual price paid.

Simplez

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - NARU

Sounds very dodgy. I wonder if he's about to go bust, so wants to keep the money off the books, and give you a worthless 'policy' document but not pay up to the warranty company? Or he's not authorised to sell warranties, so he's buying them via a mate who is?

I'd be thinking seriously about whether I wanted to deal with this business.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - gordonbennet

However you pay for it, the warranty is expensive bog roll.

As posts above, give this dodgy dealer a wide berth.

I wonder if posters would be making similar statements if the OP had originally written "Plumber wants paying in cash"

I do not see the connection the plumber will do some work that you can see and check the case above the OP receives maybe at the best a bit of worthless paper.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - bonzo dog

the plumber will do some work that you can see and check

Possibly; possibly not.

Either way, without an invoice to prove the work was done by the said plumber, you have no guarantee...... just like if you recieve a promise of a warranty with no invoice

He is going to receive a piece of paper he is paying for it by cash.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - No FM2R II

>>Sounds very dodgy.

Funny, my Grandad used to say the same about anyone who wouldn't take cash.

Dealer wants extended warranty in cash ? - unthrottled

Put the cash in a dedicated car kitty. It's the ultimate warranty; guaranteed no-quibble payout and if you don't use it you get to keep your 'premium'.

Warranties are for mugs.