Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - mat_arnold

Hi,

About six months ago kwik fit replaced my car's rear shocks and springs, I thought all was well until one day I stopped by the police and asked if I was carrying a heavy load in the boot.

I got out and when people (children in this case) sit in the back of my car the suspention drops down so that the back wheels drop into the cars arches.

Since then I took the car back to kwik fit four times so far, they keep trying different springs but cannot fix the problem :(

Is it possible that it’s just because they are not using ford parts and their 'copy' parts are substandard? or are they just missing something, the staff seem totally confused about why it isn't working.

To be fair kwik fit are trying to fix it but seem lost - any help would be much appreciated as I am thinking about asking for a refund and just going to ford.

Many Thanks

Matt

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - gordonbennet

I doubt Fiesta would be fitted with any form of self levelling equipment, but happy to be put right.

If they really have tried different springs without change (did you actually inspect for new springs?), then it points to the shockers instead....and at this point i have to ask, why did your car need new shocks AND springs?...it could be that OE shockers were gas pressured, designed specifically to assist the springs designed that go with them...its possible that standard hydraulic shockers have been installed that give no assistance.

This is only me wondering out loud, it doesn't seem terribly likely in something like a Fiesta but might be worth perusing make/model specific forums for this.

Volvo used to fit such combinations, possibly still do...in self levelling equipped estates the springs were softer than in non self levellers, the additional support for the more compliant springs was via BOGE heavy duty self levelling shockers, once loaded the shockers would after a few bounces pump themselves up to normal ride height...by using this design the unladen self levelling equipped car had a smoother ride than the non self levelling cars, which were fitted with harder springs but standard shockers, resulting in harder unladen ride. Those BOGE shockers were a horrendous price and didn't last as long as they should, some owners tried to cut costs by fitting standard shockers, the car would be fine till loaded then bottom out.

Thanks for you reply,

Its started off with a tyre change, and kwik fit showed me that the both rear shocks were leaking, so fair enough so they said they could fit new ones and I let them.

At this point the back suspention was low, I went back and they said I needed new springs, so I thought OK, and they fitted new springs.

Then I got stopped :(

I don't know about the original shocks but the new shocks are gas pressured, I don't think the car has self leveling equipment :)

Its confusing, I just don't get it :)

Matt

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - gordonbennet

''At this point the back suspention was low,''

^ ^ ^ this says it all, the car drooped before they could add springs to the invoice.

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - madf

Broken rear springs.

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I may seem a bit cynical, but you get so many stories of the big chains of tyre and exhaust fitters finding other defects whilst doing their job, defects which they can repair but which they will make a total codge of if you let them do it! My own experience of rear dampers on my 2006 Tdci is that one started leaking at just three years old and failed completely whilst I was waiting to book it in. They spotted both dampers leaking, but neither of them had actually failed. Strange, that. The proper Ford dampers come complete with the flexible plastic weatherproofing tube over the top. The old ones will be cracked and disintegrating, so you wouldn't want to re-use them. Now - the front springs on the Diesel Fiesta are heftier than those for the petrol, in order to support the extra engine weight. I am having a deal of difficulty in finding out if the back ones are similarly different. If any other contibutors know the answer, please tell. Anyway, if you are regularly carrying back seat passengers, then the Tdci van back springs should do. But why is it low with the new springs that they've fitted? Have they fitted the dampers or springs or both for the model with lowered suspension? Try removing the bottom fixing bolt on one of the dampers (15mm socket) and see if the dampers are too short and holding the back end down. I think it would be wise to cut your losses. Find a local garage with a good reputation and let them have a look. --- And mine's done 160K miles now and still on the same back springs.

Edited by MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom on 20/08/2012 at 20:34

Hi

Thanks for your reply. In the end the problem was resolved by kwik fit using ford springs instead of their own suppliers, this seems to surgest that some of the parts they use are not up to quality.

Matt

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - jc2

Their quality may be OK but they and many non-manufacturer part suppliers do operate a "one size fits all" policy-for example,I had one of these "fast-fit" firms fit a new exhaust to my estate car-they fit a saloon system and are supposed to fit an extended tailpipe to convert it to an estate system(estate car is longer) but few do.Ford (and other manufacturers) fit a lot of different springs(both rates and lengths) to get their suspension working properly.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I think the Kwik fit bloke said that both springs looked almost identical; however the alternative Ford rear spring was weaker resulting in a lower rear suspension particularly noticeable when people sat in the back of the car : /

It seems to me that lots of people are going to come across this...

Best

Matt

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - PhillJackz

I've got an 04 plate 1.4 tdci. Can I replace the existing hydraulic rear shocks with gas shocks? If so, do I need to replace them both or will I get away with just replacing one side?

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - FP

You should always replace parts like this in pairs, otherwise handling can be compromised.

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

I doubt if you can get rear dampers for an 04 that aren't gas pressurised. Just get a pair of Monroe off the Internet or Euro Car Parts. You'll need a replacement bump-stop kit as well, as these disintegrate over the years. The Boge kits are readily available on line.

Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI - Ford Fiesta 2005 TDCI low rear end. - KwikFit

Hi Matt,

Please can we speak to you about this? If you wouldn't mind sending us an email to kwikfitwebcare@kwik-fit.com with a contact number in that would be great. Can you also put a note in to say you came from Honest John so I recognise it.

Thanks,

Andy