Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - Gram51

I have had the above car for over 3 years and it has served me well, however, a number of weeks ago I noticed that the coolant level had dropped to below the low mark. After topping it up and going on holiday with it I had to top it up again during the week.

Since then I have had to regularly top the water up prior to driving (I am now checking it everyday)!! I have looked all over the engine when running it and it being tirned off and cannot see any obvious leaks, but there are signs of water leakage around the front and nearside of it.

I took it to my local garage and left it with them to check, which they did and pressure tested it, but again, no obvious signs of leakage. They also put some K-Seal in it, which hasn't worked! I have had another garage look at it and after leaving it run for nearly 1 hour, again no sign of leaks.

Each time I check the engine there is water in the places as I mentioned above and this runs down the front of the engine.

I have been to a main dealer today and they want the car in for at least a day to "investigate the matter!" Sadly, this will no doubt cost me around £50/£60 per hour with nothing guaranteed. Should it be a cylinder head gasket blown then that will be extra costly no doubt.

So, any advice on what to do, or is it a case of "bite the bullet" with the dealer and see what they come up with?

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - mickyh7

Don't use a dealer.

Use a local independent garage,their labour charges will be much more affordable.

They will have had loads of experience with cooling/leaking problems and they will be good mechanics,or they would be out of business !

Dealers are only fitters these days,plug a car in and change a few bits,if its still not fixed they demand more money.

A simple test,which should have already have been done is a 'sniffer tube' up the exhaust to test for steam coming from the engine.

Shop around for labour charges and google good garage guides in your area.

Good Luck

p.s. Its not condensation from your air-con running out of the (normal) discharge pipe is it ?

Edited by mickyh7 on 16/08/2012 at 19:32

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - Gram51

Hi, no it's not condensation from the aircon. Our usual garage did a pressure test on it and found nothing but a possible suspected leak from the rear nearside of teh engine block and they claimed it may be a head gasket job.

My only query with that theory is that there is water gathering on top of the engine where the valves are and above there is the only water pipe that runs from the coolant reservoir, which doesn't appear to be leaking.

Coolant has leaked all over the manifold, front of the engine and basically all over the place. There are no signs of coolant though on the covering attached to the underside of the bonnet, so I guess nothing may have exploded, so to speak.

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - mickyh7

Get the car up to temperature then pop the bonnet.

May be a pin hole in the hose ?

Most likely a join/hose clip.

It may only leak under load ?

It does seem to be a hose leak and not the cylinder head gasket,as you say you can physically see the coolant on top of the engine.

However a 'sniff' test is a must.

Harsh,but change your local garage for a 2nd opinion.

Always worth spending a little 'Clever money' But never loads of 'silly money' !

Best of Luck.

Let us know the outcome please.

Local Mitsu dealer had car for nearly 2 days and diagnosed core plugs leaking, causing coolant to "flow" all over the place. I negotiated a total price with them for the job.

Sadly, the car is still leaking coolant and the leak is definitely coming from somewhere on the top of the engine block.

There are 3 valve type thingies bolted to the top of the engine and this is where most of the water/coolant seems to collect and the signs show that the water then runs down the right side of the engine.

I don't know for certain, but if there is a gasket sealing the top of the engine block, then my next bet would be that leaking.

The car will be back to the dealer tomorrow along with a few choice words regarding their so-called professional diagnosis.

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - madf

You are unrinating into the wind using the dealer in my view. They are clealry incompetent and see you as a sucker and an endless supply of money.

I dont know why I bother to offer help to some people ?

Why ask for help and then ignore it ?

Main dealers are not what they used to be.

Most good Mechanics work for Independands now,as Main Dealers employ 'Fitters

Your money,like your coolant has gone down the drain !

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - gordonbennet

I imagine by now that there's a fair bit of water staining confusing the affair.

If the next visit to Mitsi doesn't find the leak, i suggest washing, carefully where electics are, the engine and surrounds after draining the coolant and refilling with a different colour but compatible type.

You can get red and green/blue good qulality coolants easily now, maybe putting a fresh mix of the different colour in might make finding this elusive leak easier, its not wasting money as the car is probably due for a change anyway and should there be further work to be done, the new can be drained and re-used.

I did consider using some sort of food colorant in the coolant tank to try and see if that showed any leaking areas.

It does seem that the leak appears only when the car is being driven! As, 3 garages have now tested the car by running it up to temperature and checking from there, without success. The main dealer is behind where I work, one independant is next to where I work and the other is 10 miles from my house.

Sadly, I was due to take the car back to the dealer for further checks yesterday (free of charge), but unfortunately, as I was driving down my drive, the front offside suspension spring broke!!!!!

So, I will get this repaired and get rid of the car.

Thanks to all for your help and advice, it was appreciated.

I hope you will be informing the Potential new owner about the coolant leak ???

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - iconn

HI mickyh7,With regards to your question to gram51. (HOPE YOU INFORM THE POTENTIAL OWNER ABOUT COOLANT LEAK,ON COLT,)

Just to let you know he didnt,and i ended up buying it,from a dealership in the north east, with all the same problems,been identified as a cracked cylinder head ,In dispute now with dealership,& out of pocket £4600 ,until matter gets sorted out,one way or another.some people dont care about the upset they cause to other people.

Just thought id keep you up to date

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - halfbaked

Hi

My Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 is having exactly the same problem regarding the water leaking and having to top up everyday, did you find out what the problem was and do you know of any other 2007 colts having this problem?

I wonder if it could be a fault on the 2007 Colt CZ2 Di-D

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - halfbaked

Anyone out there who has or who has had this problem with a 2007 Mitsubishi Colt please reply to this post as i know a few and this could be a fault on the car

Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Di-D 5 door 2007 plate - Suspicious coolant leak around engine - Will Morris

Got the same problem with our 07. Any update/conclusions please?