Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - 82Heaven
Hi all

I've seen a Jag S-Type locally at a very tempting price - 51 reg with 131k on the clock, being offered by a dealer who I'm guessing probably doesn't want it on the forecourt and needs to get rid. It's the 3.0 V6 auto version.

I've always quite fancied one... however, although HJ and Parkers are fairly complimentary, i've read quite a few horror stories elsewhere on the net about reliability. That said most of those are from the states - the few UK reviews I can find are more encouraging.

It's up at £999, so just about cheap enough to throw away in the event of major failure, and I cover under 10k a year so won't be needing a great deal from it. Would be happy if it lasts a couple of years. That said, I'm aware I could pick up a Mondeo/Primera/VW diesel for that money which would prove a much safer bet.

I want a Jag though :-)

Off to have a look tomorrow - just thought I would check for useful advice if anyone here has owned one!

Cheers
Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - oldroverboy

I want a Jag though :-

Don't forget high ved, but if you can insure it cheap too, go for it. Remember have a good test drive, you should be able to see the condition of the brake discs, Don't waste any money on a warranty.(it won't cover anything) and you won't get a warranty from the dealer, see HJ's advice.

Friend had one, only got rid of after accident, but high servicing costs. If an ignition coil goes change all of them! He stil has his other 4.2 supercharged and loves it 6 years on, but continually tells me about expensive fixes.

If it lasts a year be happy, but think of porous alloys , tyres and other costs, and a service too.

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - thunderbird

Its a Jag, its got a high milage, its cheap and its old, these are 4 things that should make you run as fast as possible in the opposite direction.

If you got a sense of humour, a fat wallet and another car it may be worth a punt.

Edited by thunderbird on 16/08/2012 at 08:38

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - bonzo dog

Normally I'd say stay away but as you say:

It's up at £999, so just about cheap enough to throw away in the event of major failure

If you're OK about potentially losing a grand then go for it.

You are stil covered by Sale Of Goods although in this case it will really only cover major faults which occurr pretty soon after purchase.

Old Rover Boy may or may not be correct in saying you won't get a warranty from a dealer but you can always say that you'll buy it if he throws in a 12 month one; it won't be very comprehensive but better than nothing. If he says "NO" then go ahead anyway.

Good luck & let us know how you get on

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - madf

Watch out for the radiators: they bulge and burst.If the radiator shows any signs of leakage - or stains, or warping, don't buy. Repair is £400+.

A long test drive and leave it to idle for 5 mins ... should reveal any engine or heating problems. If you rev it after 5 mins idling, watch for blue smoke - and flickering oil warning lights.

Watch out for nasty disconnected warning lights.. ensure you KNOW what should light up when you switch on the ignition.

You need a full 12 months MOT as a MOT failure =££££S.

Plus good tyres.and brakes. And watch for the exhaust as well.

Easy to find a potential bill for £2k

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - craig-pd130

Regular Back Roomer Jamie745 might be able to offer some advice :)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=97162

At that age it's worth a punt, I reckon - check the MOT certificates for warnings on consumables like brake pads, discs, suspension components etc as those costs can be painful if they come up in the first year or so.

Check all the electrics work, as gremlins might be starting to work their way in ... especially in the gearbox.

But as you say, it's got to be worth around £500 in scrap / non-runner state anyway, and your road tax & insurance costs can be partially reclaimed if it all goes pear-shaped

Edited by craig-pd130 on 16/08/2012 at 10:23

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - jamie745

Mine is a 56 plate 3.0 auto which is the facelifted model. Being a 51 plate the car in question is pre-facelift which is a car I've said on here before feels like it was rushed together and 'unfinished' compared to the later revision. The 3.0litre V6 in the 51 plate is the slightly rougher 210bhp version instead of the 240bhp engine in mine and the interior of the older one (specifically dashboard) is a bit different to the later one.

The pre-facelift car isn't perfect by any stretch but I think doom mongers on here are giving the idea an unfairly hard time. It's built on the same platform as the Lincoln LS and later S-Type, a platform which new Jaguar owners Tata still use for the XF by the way. It's got a Ford gearbox - the same gearbox which was in the Explorer, Ranger, Thunderbird and is still used in the Falcon today - the engine is a Jaguar tweeked version of Ford's duratec engines - which have been used in Volvo's and Mondeo's - and it's high mileage does at least suggest it's not spent all it's life in the workshop but rather out on the road.

There's problem points to look out for obviously but providing it drives ok, makes no offputting noises, has a full MOT and something vaguely resembling a service history then for a grand it's worth a punt. It's not as big a punt as old XJ's which were badly built by BL monkeys and shed more oil than the ExxonValdes. The boring Back Roomer will tell you to buy a Honda, well they can be mistreated and end up costing money as well, just like any used car.

We always spout 'condition means more than make or model' at this age and price point, yet when it's a Jag in question everybody is keen to renege on that and discourage its purchase based on its badge. I've had 15 year old Peugeot's which - if I listened to you lot and car reviewers - should by rights fall apart. They didn't.

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - focussed

Mine is a 56 plate 3.0 auto which is the facelifted model. Being a 51 plate the car in question is pre-facelift which is a car I've said on here before feels like it was rushed together and 'unfinished' compared to the later revision. The 3.0litre V6 in the 51 plate is the slightly rougher 210bhp version instead of the 240bhp engine in mine and the interior of the older one (specifically dashboard) is a bit different to the later one.

The pre-facelift car isn't perfect by any stretch but I think doom mongers on here are giving the idea an unfairly hard time. It's built on the same platform as the Lincoln LS and later S-Type, a platform which new Jaguar owners Tata still use for the XF by the way. It's got a Ford gearbox - the same gearbox which was in the Explorer, Ranger, Thunderbird and is still used in the Falcon today - the engine is a Jaguar tweeked version of Ford's duratec engines - which have been used in Volvo's and Mondeo's - and it's high mileage does at least suggest it's not spent all it's life in the workshop but rather out on the road.

There's problem points to look out for obviously but providing it drives ok, makes no offputting noises, has a full MOT and something vaguely resembling a service history then for a grand it's worth a punt. It's not as big a punt as old XJ's which were badly built by BL monkeys and shed more oil than the ExxonValdes. The boring Back Roomer will tell you to buy a Honda, well they can be mistreated and end up costing money as well, just like any used car.

We always spout 'condition means more than make or model' at this age and price point, yet when it's a Jag in question everybody is keen to renege on that and discourage its purchase based on its badge. I've had 15 year old Peugeot's which - if I listened to you lot and car reviewers - should by rights fall apart. They didn't.

Which boring Back Roomer would that be then Jamie?

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - Jase

I'll be a "boring" backroomer and recommend a Honda solution! 82Heaven - At this age and price point you could do a lot worse than go and have a drive in a 3.0V6 Accord Coupe. They are less than a grand, very rare and are likely to last longer and cost less to run than an 11yr old S-type. Downside is they aren't quite as quick as the Jag, but still a decent turn of speed and v quiet and comfy.

1litregolfeater - I went from Corsa B to Accord V6 and enjoy my motoring again now. very cheap fun.

Jamie745 - I think all the 3.0V6 Jags were 240BHP, at least according to HJ's CByC and also road tests of the model.

Let us know how you get on 82Heaven?

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - barney100

Check all the service docs and all the usual bits you can get at.....tyres, pads, etc. Take it for as long a test as you can and if you are happy offer the dealer a few £s less!

Jaguar S-Type - Jaguar S-Type - ownership nightmare? - 1litregolfeater

I wouldn't mind one of these as the Corsa keeps getting burnt off at the lights by Smrat cars and Hyandias.

How many MPG do you get?