2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol - 2005 fiesta 1.4 Duratec timing belt - ib33

Hi,

I am wanting to change the timing belt on my wife's Fiesta. Bought the Haynes manual and now have a few questions if anyone else has done one of these belts on the 1.4 duratec petrol I would be grateful for your advice.

1. Haynes say that when you remove crankshaft pulley it loses the valve timing. I cannot understand this as I thought the timing belt would keep this set.

2. Haynes say that you must get TDC set up and lock using the Ford special tools.

My thinking to get round using the special tools was to forget about setting to TDC and place paint marks on the old belt and cam shaft sprockets and crackshaft sprocket. then remove old belt transferring these paint marks to the new belt. Fit new belt making sure that the paint marks match up to the ones on the cam shaft sprockets and crack sprocket.

Any comments/advice would be grafefully received!

Regards, Oldrover

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol - 2005 fiesta 1.4 Duratec timing belt - gordonbennet

You will have to be extremely careful, maybe the crank/cam pulleys on this engine have no Woodruff key in which case loosen it and all bets are off unless you have the timing locking kit, thats possibly what Haynes is referring to.

Volvo engines of 70/80's were probably the best of the lot for this, a new belt would be marked by the manufacturer and those marks would correspond to marks on the pulleys, so it mattered not where anything was on the non interfence engine, you simply could not get it wrong, all sprockets locked with Woodruff keys...oh joy....just thought i'd mention that...:-)

KISS keep it s.....g simple.

Hi, Thanks for your post, and think you might be right.

Have read Haynes again and seems to point to what you suggest in your post.

Just now reading about setting the valve timing!

Bet this was done to save a few pence in manufacture!

Cheers, Oldrover

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol - 2005 fiesta 1.4 Duratec timing belt - gordonbennet

''Bet this was done to save a few pence in manufacture!''

The cynic in me thinks its more about making things as difficult and expensive as possible for aftermarket repair outside the dealer network, too expensive to maintain/repair means new car more economical in the eyes of many.

Pleased you're going to persevere and DIY it though, not led by the nose and bent over like too many are.

Have you had a poke nose on the usual auction type sites for timing kits? i haven't but i would expect them to be available.

2005 Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol - 2005 fiesta 1.4 Duratec timing belt - Galaxy

You will have to be extremely careful, maybe the crank/cam pulleys on this engine have no Woodruff key in which case loosen it and all bets are off unless you have the timing locking kit, thats possibly what Haynes is referring to.

Yes, this is quite right. Unless you are very conversant with working on cars, OP, this is a job that I would leave to a garage. I have a Mondeo which uses a similar crank and cam pulley arrangement and this is one job that I won't do!

If you do end up doing the job please make sure you get a good quality timing belt kit; don't just replace the belt only because it's not normally the belt that fails. You need to replace the pulleys, too. Original Ford belts are manuafactured by Gates and these are readily available. Of course, you can purchase a genuine Ford belt kit, you just pay more money for the same thing. Ford don't make belts themselves.

Thanks for all the comments and I agree with what you have to say.

I am reluctant to accept that I cannot do this job but due to time constraints and my gut feeling that something might go wrong and cause damage that would easily cost much more that getting a garage to do this job.

My wife likes her fiesta and it has been very reliable, only thing that seems to go are rear wheel bearings, I think water must get in, we have replaced both sides and the pass side needs changing again.

Cheers, Oldrover