MX 5 - Piers
Having had a quick test drive in an H - reg 90,000 miler and a 98 R 20k Mk II 1.8S my girlfriend has decided she wants to buy an MX 5.

I'd rather buy an older one privately and hunt around for a nice UK one with FSH, A1 bodywork, no accidents, decent mileage and negotiate hard with the seller. And maybe refresh the suspension / steering (new shocks / springs and bushes) to get a nice 'tight' car that's not going to loose much value.

The missus is considering buying a new one though - Are the changes to the face lifted one that great to warrant a brand new one? Should I be pushing for a lower price on an Mk II (one tested was up for 13995 with hard top (~£500 added to value?)) now that more trade-ins will be about as people go for Mk III?
Is a new MX 5 financial maddness? Can I get a new Import to full UK spec - would it have to be a european rather than Japan Import?

The ABS and airbags of a newer model will be a reassurance, but I prefered the lively feel of the small tyred original to the over tyred, grippy but not very adjustable feel of the Mk II we drove..... but then it's not going to be my car.

There's a 99T 15k 1.8 Mk II for sale privately locally. Asking £12k for it. I think £10,500 is a fair price and probably what it's trade value is. Would this be a good starting point for negotiations and walk at £11,000? Or will the price take a big drop as more are on the market from people hanging on for their Mk IIIs?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Piers
Re: MX 5 - honest john
If you buy an old MX5 check very carefully for rust, particularly in the sills. If it's a Jap import, it won't have been rust-proofed from new so the likelihood of rust is even greater. The only benefit of a pre August 1992 MX5 is that it doesn't have to be catted.

HJ
Re: MX 5 - Dave
honest john wrote:
>
> If you buy an old MX5 check very carefully for rust,
> particularly in the sills. If it's a Jap import, it won't
> have been rust-proofed from new so the likelihood of rust is
> even greater. The only benefit of a pre August 1992 MX5 is
> that it doesn't have to be catted.

Only 40 quid for underseal though so I guess a lot were.
Re: MX 5 - Dave N
Underseal isn't the solution to rust, only proper wax injection to all the body cavities.
Re: MX 5 - Dave
Dave N wrote:
>
> Underseal isn't the solution to rust, only proper wax
> injection to all the body cavities.

I see!

Once again HJ is correct, and I am wrong.
Re: MX 5 - Dai Watchalowski
Irish Republic is a good source of nearly new or new MX5s, check out websites in Ireland. They are cheap and easy to import through Holyhead. A Mazda sourced
car will cost IR£100 to get to the harbour. To avoid this tax ask the dealer nicely and he'll deliver it for you. Pan European Mazda warranty is available.
Re: MX 5 - Gordon
Dai Watchalowski mentions websites in Ireland,please could he give some examples worth having a look at? Not just for MX5s but other cars also if possible. Diolch yn fawr.
Wax Injection on VW's - Guy Lacey
Wax Injection - as carried out on all MkII VW Golfs as standard more than 15 years ago! (Here we go again)

As if you need any more reasons to buy a VW.

It can often be seen dribbling out of the back of the tailgate on older models - nice!
Wax on VW nearly as good as Citroen. - David Woollard
Guy,

You'll have to widen your outlook a bit in the cause of fair play. The reason the Citroen BX lasts so well is they got the design and wax injection spot on over 15 years ago. Look at them in the breakers.....rows of them without a spot of rust.....crippled with expensive hydraulic faults I'll agree....but no rust!

David
MX5 Jap-crap - David Lacey
Just make sure you don't buy a Jap import unwittingly. One of my customers has a Eunos Roadster (MX5 in the UK)
It has NO underbody or cavity wax/undersealing
It will be a rust trap in 10yrs time if we don't wax it for him next week
Parts are a nightmare to obtain and are priced at a premium
The a/c system runs on R12 up until about 1995/6. Difficult to maintain this type of system nowadays due to the non-existance of R12 refrigerant

Personally, I'd put my money into an MGf Trophy 160 in Trophy Blue
Far far better car
Re: MX5 Jap-crap - Dave N
I get all sorts of enquiries for sorting a/c on these old jap imports, and I've made the decision not to touch them if they run R12, which most do. Simply because the cost of doing a conversion properly, plus the cost to repair the original fault/leak, just pisses people off. Unless it's something special, and they're buying a new compressor or prepared to take the risk, I don't entertain. Not to mention the hassle of corroded fitting etc.