Paying for a car in installments. - soulexplosion

Hello there,

I plan to buy a car in the next few months but would have to pay in installments as I can't afford the car up front. My budget is approximately £8-9K and would want to pay over approximately 3-4 years. Buying a car worth £8K over time actually involves you paying about £11K in total - I want to avoid this.

I see that different companies have different offers. Which dealers/makes do the best deals, and do any companies ever do interest free deals now and then? I see websites for interest free credit on cars but I am naturally skeptical.

Many thanks

Andy

Paying for a car in installments. - Collos25
Free credit means no discount swings and roundabouts best HP is 100% down and 24 payments of nil.

Borrow the money from a bank if you can that way you will be a cash buyer and in a position to haggle use the garages finance and you are at their mercy.
Paying for a car in installments. - daveyjp
Reduce your budget, reduce your payback period and you reduce the interest payment. You also have a much shorter period of negative equity as capital is paid off quicker than the car devalues.
Paying for a car in installments. - gordonbennet

Its a mugs game buying a depreciating toy on tick that will cost just as much again to stand and feed and water, there is no quicker or more certain way to throw your money away that is legal.

Do not do it young man, buy what you can afford now, you do not have the funds to buy the car you want so how can you possibly afford to pay for it later and maintain it and fuel it etc in the forseeable future.

Bad times are coming so batten down hatches, we haven't seen anything yet.

Paying for a car in installments. - Collos25

Agreed

Paying for a car in installments. - madf

Bad times are coming so batten down hatches, we haven't seen anything yet.

How true.

Paying for a car in installments. - bonzo dog

Free credit means no discount

No it does not.

In most instances of zero % (or even very low interest) it is the manufacturer or the finance company who is subsidising the finance deal, not the retailer.

Paying for a car in instalments. - Avant

There's no need to be quite so pessimistic: we should stop listening to economists who run Britain down at every opportunity, and get on and find buyers for our goods and (particularly) services. Above all we need to export.

Welcome to the forum Andy: whenever anyone comes on the forum asking advice about a new car, there are always people who say 'don't do it'. You obviously need a car - or you wouldn't be asking - so let's look at the best way to go ahead.

Obviously the advice not to buy something you can't afford to run is essential to follow, so budget carefully as to what you can afford monthly in outgoings. Spending £1,000 or less on a banger is a gamble: you may be lucky or you may end up paying more for repairs than you'd have paid for instalments on something newer.

As you rightly imply, deals vary. At any one moment someone is offering low or 0% finance, usually becaus they have a glut of the particular model to sell. The list price is less important than the amount of your monthly payments, which are lower on a PCP than on traditional HP, but you hav a balloon payment at the end. PCPs are good if you're confident that you'll get another car at the end of the contract.

Skoda and Toyota are offering 0% on some models at the moment: look at the manufacturers' websites and see what offers are going - but remember that this is on new cars. And be careful about tempting quotes which hide the requirement for a hefty deposit. If buying used - as you probably will be unless you are happy with somethong very small and basic - it'll depend on whom you buy the car from and how willing they are to do deals.

Good luck!

Paying for a car in installments. - barney100
Been there...done that. It's a mugs game, the payback period never ends seemingly and your asset depreciates. Pay cash for a carefully chosen old one, long mot needed too. You can get decent car for £500 and in the meantime save up for another.....even get some interest!
Paying for a car in installments. - bonzo dog

Without checking the details, Vauxhall are advertising zero % finance with a deposit allowance.

You can still negotiate a discount from the dealer.

Good luck

Paying for a car in installments. - PatrickO

Just type 0% apr car deals in to google and it shows on the first page alone that vauxhall, volvo, toyota & volkswagen are doing such deals at the moment.

Paying for a car in installments. - jamie745

The fallacy here is believing throwing every spare pound you do - and do not have - at an £8k car will get you something much better than you can buy for £5-6k. Everybody falls into the trap of believing they have to max out their entire budget or they'll end up with a lemon when in reality you can get surprisingly good cars on the cheap these days.

I agree with Avant by the way, economists are brilliant at telling you why something happened but are pretty useless at telling you what will happen.