change of ownership - DVLA - oldroverboy

Is there a plan to make anyone registering a car provide details of their driving licence and proof of insurance? I know that proof of insurance is required for a new car first registration, and for taxing a car at change of ownership, but a friend here on holiday says that in switzerland the driving licence is required too. (And there is a fee payable for the change of ownership process) Does anyone know how it happens in the EU?

will it happen here?

(Personally I think it would be a good idea)

change of ownership - DVLA - Armitage Shanks {p}

Proof of insurance, to buy a new car, and subsequently renew the excise disc is already required.

It will be different in every EU country SFAIK

It doesn't need to happen here IMO

change of ownership - DVLA - gordonbennet

Trouble is, us law abiding tax paying majority, mugs, already jump through all the hoops the apparatchiks can dream up for everything taxable, not sure i want yet more measures designed to extract ever more money from the dwindling number of us nett conrtibutors, oh and another level of surveillance....about the only place you arn't monitored or watched, yet, is in the loo.

Its the unlicensed, non resident, non travelling, non taxpaying, unlawful, illegally here and downright anti social who are the problem here, goodness knows we had enough of our own already we didn't need the numbers topping up.

They simply don't bother with all that registering, insuring or taxing faff, they buy or lift a vehicle and use it till it gets picked up then get another, and in the unlikely event they get found out or Heaven forbid actually prosecuted, the resulting penalty, assuming they arn't one of the untouchable or vanish in the blink of an eye groups, isn't a fraction of what we the mugs we are have been paying out to do the right thing since time and taxes began.

meanwhile, the rest of us just pay up and subsidise the whole lot, and be grateful, we're all in this together...:-)

PS, there i enjoyed that little rant, sorry.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/07/2012 at 09:11

change of ownership - DVLA - madf

All untaxed vehicles should be crushed without appeal. All drivers driving an untaxed vehicle who have insurance are allowed to leave the vehilce before it is put in the crusher.

change of ownership - DVLA - Bobbin Threadbare

Trouble is, us law abiding tax paying majority, mugs, already jump through all the hoops the apparatchiks can dream up for everything taxable, not sure i want yet more measures designed to extract ever more money from the dwindling number of us nett conrtibutors, oh and another level of surveillance....about the only place you arn't monitored or watched, yet, is in the loo.

Its the unlicensed, non resident, non travelling, non taxpaying, unlawful, illegally here and downright anti social who are the problem here, goodness knows we had enough of our own already we didn't need the numbers topping up.

They simply don't bother with all that registering, insuring or taxing faff, they buy or lift a vehicle and use it till it gets picked up then get another, and in the unlikely event they get found out or Heaven forbid actually prosecuted, the resulting penalty, assuming they arn't one of the untouchable or vanish in the blink of an eye groups, isn't a fraction of what we the mugs we are have been paying out to do the right thing since time and taxes began.

meanwhile, the rest of us just pay up and subsidise the whole lot, and be grateful, we're all in this together...:-)

PS, there i enjoyed that little rant, sorry.

I enjoyed that rant too. Someone I used to work with bought himself a new 'BMW' MINI (when they first came out) and he decided that he couldn't be bothered a) getting a driving license (because when he was in the paras they taught him so he knew how to drive 'really well') b) getting VED and c) getting any insurance. He was caught. He was fined, and shouted at. That's it. He was never required to surrender the car. He learnt to drive and proceeded with b) and c). Caught again. Again, shouted at by a judge, fined and this time, banned AFAIR. He kept driving. There really was no proper deterrent to this behaviour at all. I was never stupid enough to accept a lift from him! He had only been caught the first time because he hit another car.