Jaguar X-Type - Knocking noise from rear when braking - hatman

I have a 2008 facelift model X-type 2.0D with 89,000 miles. The extended manufacturer's warranty expired a few days ago so I had the car checked out by the main dealer and no faults were found.

I took it for a drive yesterday and I noticed when braking at the end of the road there was a banging noise from the back of the car - almost the sound of something like a worn bush (I had a similar 'tapping on a biscuit tin' like sound from the back of my 1995 XJ6 X300 many years ago). However this noise is not present at all when driving without braking so I guess this must be some issue with the brakes. It is very strange as the car was fine before. The only thing I noticed when reversing the car out the drive was that it felt as though a brake was sticking when I tried to move it. I hadn't used the car for a week or so before and I've had this issue before on my previous 2002 X-type 2.5.

I took out everything in the boot (spare wheel, toolkit etc) and the noise was still the same.

Greatly appreciate any advice/opinions - as I say the knocking noise is only present when braking, even at a very low speed.

Jaguar X-Type - Knocking noise from rear when braking - oldroverboy

get the rear brake pads checked, WHEELS OFF! sounds like a fixing clip loose or maybe you have a delaminating brake pad, that's what it was on my epica, same noises.

Jaguar X-Type - Knocking noise from rear when braking - Avant

Moved to Technical.