Honda Accord - Honda Accord Deisel engines: Any Good? - Wulbert

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a nice, clean 2003 -2008 model Honda Accord. I'm just wondering whether to go for petrol or deisel. Am I right in thinking that these Honda deisel engines were made by Isuzu and were a bit crap. That is, not up to the reliability standard of Honda's own petrol engines?

I like the mpg of the deisel but no point if it turns out to be unreliable. I do about 14k miles/ year, mixed Aroad and town. I currently get 45mpg (indicated not checked) on my Honda Jazz 1.4.

Does anyone have epreience of the 2.2 Honda Deisel? Do you reate it?

Honda Accord - Honda Accord Deisel engines: Any Good? - Jase

Hi Wulbert,
I think the 2.2 was Honda's first in-house engine as opposed to an Isuzu one like the 1.7. The bottom line is no they are not as reliable as their petrol engines.
I would recommend you visit http://typeaccord.co.uk, which is a good site for all things Accord.

Edited by Jase on 10/07/2012 at 00:51

Honda Accord - Honda Accord Deisel engines: Any Good? - balleballe

Those 2.2 engines have a reputation for being frugal but like all diesels there are problems.

Some problems include;

Cracked Manifold,

Timing chain rattles

Clutch/DMF problems

Honda Accord - Honda Accord Deisel engines: Any Good? - likerocks

Agree, TypeAccord is the best owners' website. I think the general consensus is that yes, they can develop faults common to most modern diesel, but they do so less often than other makes. The rest of the car is as excellent as you'd expect from a Honda.

I've had nearly 2 years faultless service from a 2005, 70,000 mile diesel tourer. The driving experience is very smooth & quiet. Good, if undramatic and smoothly delivered performance and generally very satisfying to drive and own.

At this point I would only replace it with another!

Honda Accord - Honda Accord Deisel engines: Any Good? - Wulbert

Thanks for the opinions and link to the Accord site, that's a useful resource.

Reading around and doing some sums, it would cost me and extra £363/year in fuel costs to go with the petrol engine. (2 litre V-Tech versus 2.2 DTi)

For that money I think I'd be happier sticking with a petrol engine than risking the extra complexity and servicing costs and potential faults in a turbo deisel. It's not enough of an incentive to go for a deisel engine.

Petrol engines seem to be better understood by the average mechanic than modern Turbo Deisels so more chance of a cheap indy repair/maintenace deal.

I'm sure the deisels are good, bur for me just now, not worth the plunge.

It's a pity because I'm a big fan of the design principles of an engine that was invented to run on peanut oil and produce very litte wasted heat- genius old Rudolph Deisel was. (He committed suicide (possibly) by jumping off a cross channel ferry after being shafted by comercial opposition to his invention)