Mazda 6 petrol - smelly exhaust - chris1971

Hi looking for some help, i bought a 2006 mazda 6 2ltr in march with 62k miles and 12 months mot. After a couple of weeks i noticed every time i stopped ie traffic lights and sat idleing i could smell rotten eggs had a diagnostics done no codes was told cat might partialy blocked and front o2 sensor was lazy.

Changed the cat and front o2 sensor which is a 5 wire 2 plug with second hand one,s which i was told was working fine on car they came off but the egg smell is still there.

Engine starts fine, drives fine, plenty of power does low 30's around town,on motorway at 75mph does around 43mpg and after a decent motorway run does not smell for a few days.

Iv replaced oil and filter, fitted new plugs and air filter getting fed up now, me and the wife

loves the car and dont want to sell it but also dont want to keep throwing money at it.

chris

Mazda 6 petrol - smelly exhaust - Peter D

What make of fuel do you use. Regards Peter

A mixture of fuel depends where i am,and when i need it current tank is texaco tank week before was tesco,

Mazda 6 petrol - smelly exhaust - RT

It shouldn't be the fuel - all of Europe has to use fuel to EN standards which is now very low on sulphur - unlike the high sulphur fuel that was common when cats were first introduced which caused some of them to smell of rotten eggs.

Would it fail its MOT or would the emissions be ok?, its not due until march and thats

my main concern.Keep it and live with it or consider moving it on while its still has 7 months left