Ford Fiesta - Buying a Second Hand Diesel Car - Few Questions! - Bobster89

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at buying a used car. I've been looking for a while now and am now fairly set on a Fiesta Diesel. My budget is around £2500 and I've seen a few on AutoTrader at around this price. I did originally want a Citroen C2 VTR automatic but after hearing some very bad reviews I have changed my mind.

Now with regards to the Fiesta my main question is, is it worth buying a newer model that has higher mileage, or an older model which has less mileage? Theres an 06 reg one on there I have seen that has about 130,000 miles on the clock and an 03 reg one that only has about 80,000. I have never owned a diesel before and want one due to the low running costs as I do around 14,000 miles per year and the road tax is cheap.

So what do you guys think is best?

Many thanks!

Ford Fiesta - Buying a Second Hand Diesel Car - Few Questions! - unthrottled

I would tentatively suggest the 130,000 mile car. Make sure you have access to at least £500, preferably £1000 after purchase, just in case. There will be some wear and tear in a car that's been round the world 5 times-even if most of them were motorway miles!

Ford Fiesta - Buying a Second Hand Diesel Car - Few Questions! - MikeTorque

There is plenty of choice out there for Ford Fiestas. Make sure it has a full service record whatever the mileage and a long MOT, check body condition and underneath for damage (past and present), check tyres, check internal condition, check engine bay area for front end shunts and inside hatch area for the same reason, check if much smoke is emitting from exhaust as excessive (and black smoke) is a bad sign, avoid any added boy racer kit, avoid any car that has been modified or electronically chipped etc.

Ensure you have a long test drive over different routes, the car should sound and drive ok whatever the mileage, walk away if it doesn't.

Loads of choice, it's a buyers market, if you find/like a particular car then haggle over the price, there is always a discount to be had no matter where you buy from, walk away from anything that doesn't look, sound or feel right.

Edited by MikeTorque on 05/07/2012 at 20:54