Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti - Vauxhall 1.3cdti limp mode - muckerbarnes1

Van 2008 42K combo 1.3cdti now goes into limp mode after falshing lights on the dash.It is fine up to 2800rpm and very little beyond. At 2800 once the turbo speeds up it jerks almost like a tap on the brakes and will not pull or rev above. Power is well down until I stop, restart, and it's back to normal.It was intermittent, now it is permanent. I can hear the turbo whine a nd pick up like normal, but I think under load and acceleration it makes more noise just before it cuts to limp. It also has a flat spot at 1700 rpm. I can play the throttle and make it stutter when in gear at these revs. Above and below it's fine.

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti - Vauxhall 1.3cdti limp mode - pd

It will have stored a code as to why it went into limp mode. You need to get it properly code read by something which understands detailed GM codes - until you do that you're looking for a needle in a haystack.

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti - Vauxhall 1.3cdti limp mode - rpmmatt

Look on fleabay/amazon etc you can get cheap OBD2 plugs, get a bluetooth one you can use an app for Android phones called "Torque" to read and clear fault codes and get other information, as well live gauges with info direct from the engine.

Alternativly, buy a USB OBD2 plug, and you can get OPCOM (the Opel garage software) which can give more indepth info and allows to alter stuff and reprogram the ECU.

When you know the fault code, you can to the garage knowing what needs doing so you wont get ripped off.

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti - Vauxhall 1.3cdti limp mode - daveyjp
First check is the EGR valve. Easy to remove and see how much crud is in there.

Sorry for delay in reply.

It was the wastegate seized. I freed it in situ. It has worked fine for the last several thousand miles.

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti - Vauxhall 1.3cdti limp mode - Ash D

ive got the same problem with my 58 plate corsa 1.3 cdti ecoflex sooo whats the wastegate and how can i fix it

I put the van on ramps. When looking up the back of the turbo you can see the wastgate actuator . It also helps if you remove the cover from the exhaust manifold.

I placed a long pry bar up between the engine and manifold from underneath and gently moved the actuator in/out. It was very stiff. ( The actuator is round and has a pipe on it)

I sprayed some copperslip into the arm that goes into the turbo and is the wastegate. This took a while and a few plastic tubes taped together. Once this arm moved freely I took it out. It drove perfect. I made sure for a few miles I accelerated hard, slow down and accelerated hard through all gears. I also kept on/off the throttle at around 1800 rpm to make the actuator go in/out and rotate the wastgeate as much as possible.

That was a year ago. Now I make sure if i'm tootling around in traffic for a long time I thrash it up the gears, making max and min boost to keep it free.

It was an easy fix.

Vauxhall Combo 1.3 cdti - Vauxhall 1.3cdti limp mode - Ash D

easy fix your joking arnt you hahaa wouldnt have a clue but thanks anyway ill try and pay some one to do that for me

Edited by Ash D on 19/06/2013 at 19:17