best diesel car - Andy22
after owning a diesel i'm not sure i can go to petrol becasue of the cost in all aspects of ownership. it's just like throwing money away these days with higher torque engines.

so what are the best disel cars for 20k miles max and a budget of 11k?

trying to avoid french and looking for top cars in the reliability surveys.

already thought about volkswagon golfs and passats, should i be?
best diesel car - terryb
Surely if you're looking for best diesel cars you can't afford to ignore French? PSA are the masters of diesel.

Terry
best diesel car - Dude - {P}
That is very much a matter of opinion, when I read of the problems on this forum with PSA vehicles, I would`nt touch them with a barge pole!! The build quality on French cars is just not acceptable and my advice to Andy22 would be to look at some Japanese vehicles, - H.J. speaks highly (with good reason) of the Yaris D4D, which has amazing economy and great build quality. If you need something bigger, you could get an Avensis 2.0 litre diesel within your budget. It may not ride like a Peugeot, but at least it will be utterly reliable!!
best diesel car - Julian
I could also recommend the Honda Civic 1.7 CDi.........
best diesel car - BrianW
Having run two Pugs for over 100k in total with only one brakdown I would have no fault to find with reliability. but have found that ancillary items like window winder motors, alarms and central locking are weak points.
best diesel car - deere3350
Spot on Brian. My Pugs on 160000 with no breakdowns and still going strong. It's the electrics that let them down badly.
best diesel car - Armitage Shanks{P}
Yes but some of these "French" cars are built in England. Do your comments relate to design (French) or place of construction (UK)?
best diesel car - bazza
Check out the recent thread on VW build quality - it might put you off them! I think Dude is right, now that the Japs are producing decent diesels plus cars that are good to drive, that's the way to go. A new or nearly new Toyota or Honda would be my choice with that budget.

Good luck
Baz
best diesel car - Tim
Take a look at the Seat range. You could pick up a 6 month Toledo SE with the 110bhp diesel for 11k and having driven one for the past week would recommend one - 57mpg on drive back from Scotland @ 75mph. Solid build and reasonable performance. The Leon TDI SE is also worth looking at.
best diesel car - KB.
Regulars will be bored by my continual prattling about my Yaris's since they came out in '99. The diesel engine in my present CDX hatchback is wonderful and does 58mpg round town. However, if you could stomach the looks, consider the extra room and versatility of the diesel Verso version. Easily bought within your budget but discounts are readily available either imported (as was mine....£2,600 off) or at the supermarkets or brokers. The warranty on my import is a full 3 years and the dealers in the UK seem quite happy to deal with them (as indeed they are obliged to, in the case of warranty work - and for which they get paid, of course).
KB.
best diesel car - andymc {P}
About eighteen months ago, I was in the unusual position of deciding on two new diesel cars. The medium hatch I eventually went for was the Seat Leon TDi SE, and I have no regrets at all. I love the ride when cruising, I love the zippiness and torque of the engine and I'm very pleased with the level of standard equipment. The driving position is very easy to adjust and comfort over long distances is good - I travel a five-hour journey to my family three or four times a year without pain or discomfort. After nearly 20000 miles I wouldn't change it, except maybe for another one. On long trips the economy is fantastic, 60 mpg is possible without having to crawl along. Even whizzing along at 85 (on all those autobahn trips I take, of course) still returns around 50 mpg. The room in the back isn't as good as in a medium family car, but as I rarely have anyone in the back it's not an issue.
The other one I would have gone for at the time was a Skoda Fabia Elegance (test-drove one and really liked it), but as I was buying a second car for my wife to cover fairly low mileage, I plumped for a Renault Clio dci as it was £3k cheaper. If I was buying right now I'd be test-driving a new Seat Ibiza Sport or SE,or strongly considering either a two year-old Leon TDi or Rover 75 as used options. High spec on the latter at that age will be easy to get for under £12k, and you can get a manufacturer-approved chip upgrade for around £500 to give it a bit more oomph.
best diesel car - Dizzy {P}
My son currently has a 1993 naturally-aspirated diesel Renault Clio which is coming up to 170,000 miles. This car has been very reliable for a French tin box but he wants a change and has been reviewing and test driving potential replacements for more than a year.

He believes (correctly, in my view) that, although turbochargers are themselves dependable, many more problems occur with 'mainstream' turbocharged engines than with the NA versions. He also decided that the few times where the high power of turbo engines is useful is very limited on today's roads, especially in urban driving. Therefore he chose to stay with naturally-aspirated engines and he crossed everything off his list until he got to Skoda.

He ordered a new Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDi yesterday after haggling a superb deal with the local main dealer. I won't disclose the level of discount without his say so but it was one of the largest I have seen for years, closely matching the discounts offered by Citroen for example.

Despite this discount, the dealer agreed to obtain the car for March delivery and '03' registration even though he already had one in stock which he would obviously have preferred to have sold. Other marques like BMW and Mercedes would do well to emulate the Skoda dealerships that we visited; we were very impressed with their genuinely helpful and friendly attitude.

I like the Fabia very much but personally I would have plumped for the extra refinement of a Rover 75 or BMW 530d. However my son wanted compactness as well as comfort, reliability and economy so I totally agree with his choice.

The bottom line: When choosing a car, take time to decide on your own needs and tastes and don't rely too much on the recommendations of others.
best diesel car - googolplex
The bottom line: When choosing a car, take time to decide
on your own needs and tastes and don't rely too much
on the recommendations of others.

I can't wholeheartedly agree with this. However, I do think that there are alot of scare stories out there regarding which car to buy. Whilst some cars are more reliable than others, all of them break down from time to time and there is more of an element of luck in purchases.

I'm extremely interested in the outcome of this thread since I am in an almost identical predicament to Andy. I would dearly love this new Mondeo TDCi to get better reviews. Other than that, I've more or less settled for an Avensis assuming that 2nd hand they'll be good value with a new model due. Also, whilst I'd much prefer the diesel, I think this is a car that you could be reasonably happy with the petrol since it is so economical.

Splodgeface
best diesel car - Dave_TD
Dizzy -

I'm only 30 miles down the A1 from you, which Skoda dealers impressed your son so much? I'm finding great things from Vindis at Cambridge, so I've stopped looking now, but all the others for an hour's drive around couldn't compete.
Dtd,

My son visited and phoned lots of Skoda dealers and had no complaints about any of them. Mill Hill garage between March and Ely were patient and helpful and he was close to buying from them, however they couldn't match his price aspirations.

He bought his car from Wings in Peterborough. They offered a discount that matched Mill Hill but my son then produced an advertisement from another supply source that offered a much larger discount and Wings agreed to match this after some 'internal' discussions. Then, as I said, they agreed to supply in March 2003 even though they had an identical car in stock for immediate delivery. They said that they would have preferred to sell the in-stock car but they put no pressure whatsoever on my son to accept this.

Having ordered the car and paid the deposit, my son wasn't too sure if he had specified the best colour. He phoned Wings who said that this was no problem and he could arrange to call in at any time in the next few days to be shown the colours on actual cars. They said that they would hold back the order until he was happy with it and he could change the spec if he wanted to.

All of the Skoda dealers my son contacted respected his request for no post-enquiry phone contact, which is in complete contrast to my own experience with some BMW and Mercedes dealers.
best diesel car - KB.
Dizzy, the discount offered on Citroens is often not far short of £4000. Are you saying that you can buy a Fabia diesel at this sort of discount from a UK dealer for a UK supplied vehicle? Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs if this is the case and might even continue the journey from the stairs to a Skoda dealer! Do ask your son for his say so in disclosing the figures, I'm sure many would be interested.

KB.
best diesel car - KB.
Could have added to my previous posting about Skoda's (topically, in view of the weather) that I saw a Nissan slide in to a Fabia this morning and the Fabia was undamaged whilst the Nissan suffered disproportionately expensively.
KB.
KB,

I hoped it would be understood that I was talking like-for-like. If a £4000 discount can be obtained on a £9000 Citroen I'll come and join you at the foot of your stairs!

I didn't quote the discount because not only is it my son's private business as to what he achieved but it might also be unfair to the dealer. The fact of the matter is that the dealer said he would match any written quote and my son managed to find an extremely low quote from elsewhere. This staggered the dealer but he kept to his word despite a probable deficit on the deal and I respect his honesty too much to have him put in the same position again.

I made mention of the discount only to back up my comments about how helpful the dealer was despite providing an excellent deal. I wish I hadn't mentioned it at all now!

Andy22 -- I also wanted to make an impression on others when I was 23. I had a Ford 'special' (a kit car) in the shape of a Ferrari which was all noise and no go followed by a Morris 1000 fitted with a tuned 1098cc engine which wasn't much better in terms of performance. In truth, the only person I really impressed was myself and I think this applies to anyone who buys a car for the badge rather than its true qualities. I think the Fabia meets everyone of your 'wants' except possibly the 'lovely looking' bit, but even that ain't bad.
best diesel car - bernie
Andy,have you had any trouble with water ingress through the doors seals ?
I ask because a lot of Leon owners on the Seat forums seem to have had this problem.
No, hasn't happened to me.
best diesel car - J Bonington Jagworth
Shouldn't that be 'least worst diesel car?' :-)

I'm still not keen on them, I'm afraid, although HJ's opinion of the C3 has mellowed me slightly. I seem to remember its performance being favourably compared with the old Aston Martin DB5 in a recent thread here. I was reminded of this earlier tonight in the early part of Goldeneye, which had Pierce Brosnan allegedly keeping pace with a Ferrari 308 - wouldn't have been the same in a C3, though!
best diesel car - Andy22
a hefty response. however i missed a few points out.

i am only 23 and really want i car to be proud of and to catch peoples eyes. i have remove the likes of skoda and the toyota avensis diesels out of the choice because of the looks of the toyota and the badge of the skoda.

the thing that attracted me the VW's was the looks and reliability.

i have no problem with the engine of my 406 diesel, but the rest is poor.

a small car is too small for me, i would say a civic would be the smallest car i could cope with.

to be more specific i can tell you exactly what i want:
loverly looking well built car,
torquey diesel,
low co2 emissions 150max,
lower than group 13 insurance,
at least 45 MPG,
as said top reliability results.
best diesel car - Andy22
mmm.... just read the vw thread, not very impressed to say the least.
best diesel car - jud
Andy
For looks and build quality road test a Audi A4, the 110bhp version retails around 10K for a 98 model (parker guide).
Insurance group 12
50mpg on the motorway
reliability not as good as the japs but can't think of a jap car with looks and a good diesel engine.
best diesel car - KB.
"reliability not as good as the japs but can't think of
a jap car with looks and a good diesel engine".

How about a 3 door Rav4 diesel then - imported for around £11,000 brand new with 3 year warranty and fulfills all the required criteria.

KB.
best diesel car - CM
"reliability not as good as the japs but can't think
of
a jap car with looks and a good diesel engine".
How about a 3 door Rav4 diesel then - imported for
around £11,000 brand new with 3 year warranty and fulfills all
the required criteria.
KB.

Rav4 - good looking? Suppose it is a question of taste.

Isn't the MB 3.2l diesel and the BM 3.0l diesel the best around. It won't be too long before you can get a tasty high miler for a sensible price.

Also IMHO if you want a very good diesel try a BM 325tds. I know that it is not the latest technology nor the most economical but it is a really sweet engine and has 6 cyls.
best diesel car - KB.
>> "reliability not as good as the japs but can't
think
>> of
>> a jap car with looks and a good diesel
engine".
>>
>>
>> How about a 3 door Rav4 diesel then - imported
for
>> around £11,000 brand new with 3 year warranty and fulfills
all
>> the required criteria.
>>
>>
>> KB.
>>
Rav4 - good looking? Suppose it is a question of taste.
Isn't the MB 3.2l diesel and the BM 3.0l diesel the
best around. It won't be too long before you can get
a tasty high miler for a sensible price.
Also IMHO if you want a very good diesel try a
BM 325tds. I know that it is not the latest technology
nor the most economical but it is a really sweet engine
and has 6 cyls.

Not so much a question of taste, more opinion, I feel.

As it happens, I myself am not all that struck on the looks of the Rav4 but I have the distinct impression that most are and the 3 door is a bit sporty looking and Andy has said he's badge conscious and obviously wants to look cool in it. His post reads..........

i am only 23 and really want i car to be proud of and to catch peoples eyes. i have remove the likes of skoda and the toyota avensis diesels out of the choice because of the looks of the toyota and the badge of the skoda.
the thing that attracted me the VW's was the looks and reliability.
i have no problem with the engine of my 406 diesel, but the rest is poor.
a small car is too small for me, i would say a civic would be the smallest car i could cope with.
to be more specific i can tell you exactly what i want:
loverly looking well built car,
torquey diesel,
low co2 emissions 150max,
lower than group 13 insurance,
at least 45 MPG,
as said top reliability results.

My personal views of the ownership of BMW's and Merc's lead me to think that ownership of one of these is very much about the feeling of having achieved membership of a somewhat elite group who looks down on the likes of lesser makes like Skoda or Ford, whereas in reality BMW's and Merc's are so common a sight these days that it's just not the case. I agree that the engineering is good, but ownership of one doesn't automatically confer good taste on the owner - very often it's quite the opposite in my opinion.

Back to the issue in question.....I was wrong to say that a Rav4 DIESEL can be had for around £11,00 imported. It's the entry level 2 wheel drive one that can be had for that sort of money - the diesel is a good bit dearer.
KB.
best diesel car - jud
Fair point KB but i wasn't thinking of the Rav4 as a car but a 4x4.
best diesel car - ianb
I have a Fabia ('01) Saloon 1.9 SDI. I have owned it 6 months and had one small hicup (the oil pressure sensor failed). I am very happy with it and find it a joy to drive. Obviously it's not as powerful as a TDI, but it still is fairly nippy.

I get around 50+ MPG and the insurance is cheap. Just under £400 fully comp for a 21 year old, is good going in my opinion.

My only critiscm is the length of time to get parts at the dealer, normally 24-48 hrs and they don't appear to have many parts in stock. Apart from that free courtesy car and friendly staff (Fish Bros Swindon).
best diesel car - RichardP
IanB,
Who are you insured with? Under £400 is good going! How many years NCB do you have?

Thanks
best diesel car - DavidHM
Good going if the insurance is in his own name anyway.

To get that at 21, you'd have to have 4 years' NCB, a Tracker fitted and live somewhere like rural Gloucestershire with a 3000 mile limit.

Or at least I would have thought.
best diesel car - FergusTheDog
Yes, but those VAG diesels are really awful, especially the PD versions. If you want an agricultural vehicle get a tractor. If you want an A4 get a 1.8T petrol.
best diesel car - jud
I agree Fergus, i have the 1.8T myself, but advice was asked for a diesel, unfortunately Audi do not fit a Pug diesel. On the question of BMW diesel cars my neighbour was unimpressed with his 2.5(which surprised me) and now runs the new A4 2litre petrol.
best diesel car - MikeC
Andy, i'm a similar age to you and I'm looking for a similar car as well. After driving a lot of different cars for work I can honestly say my favourites are the HDi Peugeot 406s - I'm now a hooked TD fan after getting 55mpg over a 200mile run which included some spirited driving (and my favourite 6mile twisty B-road all in second and third at full acceleration except on the tight bends!)

I am therefore looking for a 3dr 306 2.0HDi DTurbo. The DTurbo model looks identical to the 306GTi-6, same alloys, front fogs & spoilers etc and looks great in moonstone blue. Cheap and does loads of mpgs. Only Group 5 insurance. After reading these treads on the PSA/HDi problems I'm slightly worried about reliability but hopefully I'll get a good one.
best diesel car - jud
MikeC, Andy drives the 406 at the moment, enough said. Ensure you drive the 306, don't assume its as good as the 406.
best diesel car - ianb
Sorry for the delay....
I am insured with directline and have 3 years no claims. I have a £450 excess and I think that's the only down side. Everywhere else I tried it was around £600 fully comp. Directline have been my cheapest quote for my last car aswell. I don't have a tracker or any extra alarms etc. Bog standard fabia.

best diesel car - ianb
Sorry i missed the bit about a mileage limit which is 10k/year and I live in Swindon. Hardly the countryside.

As an example I had a 1999 1.0 Saxo (bog standard again) which was about £350 TPFT with directline. That was based on 2 years no claims. I don't understand why they are so competitive, I tried tesco and the like and they are far more expensive.
best diesel car - Andy22
insurance varies, tesco was cheaper than direct line for me.

anyway, i'm really stuck, my budget of 11k has to be somewhat lowered to around 7K. i know its an impossible task but i'm trying to cust cost big time.

my new idea is a astra diesel, the reviews aren't very good but have you seen the tax band - the lowest £80pa. and 55mpg

or for more reliability, the new civic 1.4, apparantly 47mpg.

or maybe focus diesel.

my dad has a astra though and hasn't had a single problem.
best diesel car - bazza
Andy22
How about a Seat Ibiza? Seat are doing free insurance at the moment and I’ve seen the 1.2 Ibiza for £7495 brand new with air con. That’ll do 45 to 50 mpg, chain drive cam ( a big big pull for me - see my Astra thread!!) and it’s quick enough, surely? It’s even a nice cool shape! And you get VW bits 'n pieces too. (Why do Seat get better reviews for reliability than VW when it's basically the same car?) Got to be the deal of the moment, particularly for younger drivers..

Baz
Andy, if you're particularly keen on a diesel then I suggest you look at a pre-owned Clio dci Dynamique. That car is supremely economical (over 60 mpg) and smooth to drive, with a great level of standard equipment and lots of safety features. The engine has incredible torque for its size - took me and three adults up a steep hill in fourth and kept accelerating - and the car is only in insurance Group 3, too. You can get them for around £7k now - I had one for a year and am sorry to see it go. Otherwise, if you're not bothered about petrol and want the free insurance, I'd agree with Baz.
best diesel car - J Bonington Jagworth
"Why do Seat get better reviews for reliability than VW when it's basically the same car?"

Probably because expectations are different. People make a fuss if their "if only everything was as reliable as a" VW gives trouble, while they are pleasantly surprised if their cheap Spanish motor doesn't!

I like the Seat, too - I hadn't realised it had a chain-driven cam.
best diesel car - Dude - {P}
I think you will find that it is only the 3 cylinder 1.2 engine that has chain driven cams !!