Citroen C3 - Ripped off by approved dealer - midbedspompey

I had my car towed into a Citroen Approved repairer

I was told that the cambelt had slipped and that I would need the cylinder head reworked new valves etc and a new injector as one was damaged I was told the total cost would be £2300 plus VAT I asked if the bottom end of the engine was damaged and was told No

seven weeks later the dealer still has the car have been testing it bits and pieces and the removed the head again to say oh there is a problem with the block and pistons and have qutoed me £1800 plus vat and labour to fix this problem

What should I do the car is not worth £5k And why did the garge not pick up the bottom end damage on first inspection as I would of just gone out and either scapped the car or brought a recon engine

Many thanks for your advice in advance

Citroen C3 - Ripped off by approved dealer - tony g
Hi,
To be able to take issue with the garage you would have to be able to prove that they were negligent in there initial diagnosis .

Is it reasonable to have expected the garage to be aware that the block could have been damaged ?

Given that the garage said no to a damaged block ,you may have a case .

I think you are liable to pay the £2300 ,the garage initially quoted .

It's probable that the garage will want payment for the whole balance ,pay it under protest ,then pursue them through the small claims court for the return of the balance .

Good luck ,please let the forum know the outcome .

Tony g

Citroen C3 - Ripped off by approved dealer - Armitage Shanks {p}

I don't think you will get very far, in court, without an independent engineer's report. I imagine this would mean inspecting the disassembled engine. This would be at your expense and might not be conclusive or support your contention. Have you seen the "damage" youself or have you jst been told that there is damage?

What does "Approved Dealer" mean? Are they approved by Citroen UK or somebody else? Are they a member of any Trade body like MotorVehicle Repairers Assocation

www.mvra.com/

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 27/06/2012 at 07:14

Citroen C3 - Ripped off by approved dealer - tony g
(I don't think you will get very far, in court, without an independent engineer's report. )

It would cost less to pursue a claim through the small claims court, than it would to commission an independent engineers report. Which may not be conclusive . If you win your case it will cost nothing .

In addition many people are unwilling to attend court ,it's possible the garage would settle rather than attend .

Tony g
Citroen C3 - Ripped off by approved dealer - midbedspompey

I don't think you will get very far, in court, without an independent engineer's report. I imagine this would mean inspecting the disassembled engine. This would be at your expense and might not be conclusive or support your contention. Have you seen the "damage" youself or have you jst been told that there is damage?

What does "Approved Dealer" mean? Are they approved by Citroen UK or somebody else? Are they a member of any Trade body like MotorVehicle Repairers Assocation

www.mvra.com/

Yes they are a main Citroen franchise as per there web site