Skoda Fabie 1.9 SDI 2001 - Handbrake Cable Slack after Brake Shoe Replacement - squibsquib
After replacing my rear brake shoes I tried to tightened up the handbrake but it still has slack in the cable once has been fully tightened. It would tighten up before I replaced them. Anyone any ideas whats wrong?

Thanks...
Skoda Fabie 1.9 SDI 2001 - Handbrake Cable Slack after Brake Shoe Replacement - bathtub tom

Presumably they're self-adjusting shoes (and not discs). As long as you've got everything back together OK, I'd slacken off the handbrake cable then go for a short drive, repeatedly operating the footbrake to let the self-adjusters take up any play. If you then can't adjust the handbrake to tolerance, then you've a problem.

Skoda Fabie 1.9 SDI 2001 - Handbrake Cable Slack after Brake Shoe Replacement - TeeCee

Usually just sitting still and repeatedly pumping the footbrake pedal firmly will do the trick. The pedal should lose some of its travel as the adjusters take effect.

Definately slacken off the handbrake cable adjustment first though. If it's overtightened it can prevent the adjusters doing their stuff.

Skoda Fabie 1.9 SDI 2001 - Handbrake Cable Slack after Brake Shoe Replacement - squibsquib

I tried this and did improve it but still have to tighten the adjustment nut up fully. It does work but takes about 7 clicks of the handbrake. Anyone else any ideas?

Skoda Fabie 1.9 SDI 2001 - Handbrake Cable Slack after Brake Shoe Replacement - madf

The adjusters may have rusted solid - if normal ones they will be a screw rotating through a nut and the unused section - due to worn shoes- may have rusted and now be seized.

Strip down and check they move freely - on each wheel..