Selling my car - Bobbin Threadbare

Ok - the time has come to get rid of the Mazda 6 (gasp! I hear you say) and it's not worth part exchanging it on my new (not new, new to me) purchase.

What's the best way of getting rid of it? I am not in a massive hurry to do so (want rid by end of July) although I will have to declare it SORN and keep the insurance on but that's not a problem.

I know what I want for it and what I am likely to get. It is also only my second car so I haven't accrued much experience selling them. I am good at researching which is what I've done. What I'm after is some experiences/opinions about eBay, Autotrader sales, Preloved, ad in the paper, suresell etc. I will not take it to........I can't bring myself to type it........webuyanycar.

Selling my car - bathtub tom

eBay, pistonheads, local paper, A4 sheet of paper in back window.

All the above have been successful for me.

Two rules: Don't hand over the keys to any potential buyer until you're in the passenger seat and if it's a cash sale, do the exchange in a PO/bank/building society.

Selling my car - RT

If it's declared sorn AND it's parked off the public highway you don't need to keep it insured - the recent continuous insurance requirement doesn't apply in those circumstances.

What about letting someone test drive it?

Thanks bathtub tom; I had not thought of pistonheads. I can't do an A4 ad in the car because I live well off a main road.....if I put it on the main road it would need the insurance.....

Selling my car - RT

What about letting someone test drive it?

Unless you have "any driver" cover then prospective buyers won't be covered anyway

Selling my car - tony g
Hi ,if a potential buyer has comprehensive insurance on his existing car , and if you have your Mazda insured ,then the buyer is usually covered to drive your car by his own policy ,but only third party .

With regards to selling the Mazda ,I sell a few cars ,the most effective way to sell is autotrader internet ,I've tried e bay ,gum tree etc ,they're not as good .

The key to selling on autotrader is price ,photographs ,and description .

Price is the major issue ,do a search on autotrader for cars like yours ,same model,year ,mileage etc .if you don't price your car competitively ,you won't get enquiries ,good luck ,it's tough at the moment .

Regards

Tony g
Selling my car - hallington

Bobbin I sold my car on ebay, with a reserve price and used the which pdf which i put both addresses on, mileage at time of sale incase they were caught for speeding on the way home, got them to tick sold as seen and amount and all signed? So by selling it this way there was no test drive, he just started the car, had a listen, gave me the cash and went home.

Selling my car - jamie745

Well you're from up north so a bit of paper in the back screen should be appropriate.

Thanks Hallington. I will look for that.

Jamie, that comment is just about what I'd expect from you.

I bought a Mazda MX-5 - I get it later this week!

Selling my car - Mike H

Ok - the time has come to get rid of the Mazda 6 (gasp! I hear you say) and it's not worth part exchanging it on my new (not new, new to me) purchase.

What are you replacing it with, or have I missed something?

here's the link bobbin:) h*********************/images/subscription/usedcarreceipt.pdf

I also had a male friend just be there for witnessing etc and safety. And I said do you have any questions about the car, I'm happy to answer them now. I also quietly said please be gentle with her :)

Selling my car - tony g
Jamie,

(Well you're from up north so a bit of paper in the back screen should be appropriate.)

That would be toilet paper ,would it Jamie ,ideal for a man who talks ....
Selling my car - Avant

If you want to avoid the hassle of a private sale, Suresell has been well spoken of ; they put it up for auction, but of course they charge, and when out of interest I queried the reserve price they would put on my Z3, it was far too low. But worth a look perhaps.

Selling my car - jamie745

I think the HJ community requires more information about this MX-5.

Come on! We've been waiting a year for Bobbin's MX-5 to arrive!

I am picking it up this evening. I will do an owner's review ASAP!

Bobbin are you aware that there is a facility on auto trader where you list your car and dealers bid on it, if the bids are too low you walk away?

Yes. I am certainly going to look at Autotrader.

The dealer I bought the MX-5 from suggested eBay actually. It's slightly disheartening that the 6 is worth so little and yet be too young to scrap, because I am beginning to wonder if it's worth less than the sum of its parts.....

Selling my car - dieselnut

In case you're not aware, you can find out the selling price of recently sold items through eBays advanced search & it will give you a good idea what yours will sell for.

Click on 'advanced search', enter mazda 6 & the year in the 'keywords' box, tick the 'completed listings' box & press the 'search' button.

On the next page select 'cars' under the list of categories on the LHS.

All the prices in green are actual selling prices although some will be shill bids, but it will give you a reasonable idea.

Selling my car - Trilogy

Bobbin, If you sell on ebay only accept cash or bankers draft. Do not under any circumstances accept paypal.

No - Paypal takes a cut of your money over a certain (pretty low) value so I wouldn't use that!

Thanks Dieselnut - that's been a very handy suggestion.

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 20/06/2012 at 22:58