2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - Tristan44

I have a Mondeo 2001 2.0 Ghia with 120K on the clock, due an MOT in 2 weeks. Car has been pretty reliable for last 70K with shocks/springs and thermostat (would never attempt that job again) being replaced. Unfortunately gearbox has now failed and I have been quoted £550 to supply and fit a secondhand gearbox. Being as this vehicle is on its original clutch, it would probably make sense to change this at the same time, bumping up the price by a couple of hundred extra. So I find myself in a dilemna: -

1) Pay £800 to get the gearbox and clutch done and pray nothing else fails.

2) Buy another vehicle for about £1500 quid (I have seen a Civic 1.6i Executive with 99K on the clock (2000 model year) for £1600, but would consider anything midsize and reliable).

Hopefully someone with a better knowledge of Mondeos and their foibles will be able to offer some advice?

Many thanks in advance....

Tristan

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - jamie745

You say its a 2001 model, is it a late mk2 or an early mk3?

Early MK3. Has been pretty good for last 70K although I know the pulley tensioner will need changing soon (if only to get rid of the rattle),

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - Happy Blue!

A lot of people will say ( and I do not disagree with them) that buying another ten year old car that you know nothing about, is a gamble. Are you not better spending the money on a car you know well? Alternatively, buy a much newer car. This Mondeo could give you another 100,000 miles of loyal service for limited outlay.

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - RT

£800 is about what it's worth at that age/mileage in good working condition so it's not worth spending £800 on - you might as well get a refund on any VED and then scrap it at say £100/tonne - saves the cost of the MoT as well.

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - jamie745

£800 is about what it's worth at that age/mileage in good working condition so it's not worth spending £800 on - you might as well get a refund on any VED and then scrap it at say £100/tonne - saves the cost of the MoT as well.

Yeah and then buy what? Another old car? Buying cars in this price bracket is always a 50/50 gamble, you'll either get a gem or a dog unless you really know what you're looking for. Everyone associates Honda with reliability but theres no guarantee a 10 year old one will be, you dont know whats been done to it over that 10 years do you? You can get five identical 10 year old cars side by side but they won't be the same.

I think people would still be surprised how many good cars are out there for a low price, you can get a very decent car for under £1500 these days if you're not overly fussed about fuel economy so yes its worth looking around, but its not an easy either-or scenario.

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - Bobbin Threadbare

I think people would still be surprised how many good cars are out there for a low price, you can get a very decent car for under £1500 these days if you're not overly fussed about fuel economy so yes its worth looking around, but its not an easy either-or scenario.

Spend a grand on a Ford Cougar and enjoy your motoring!

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - unthrottled

There's a lot to be said for "better the devil you know". I think it boils down to whether you like the car or not.

The monetary value of an oldish car is based on the assumption that there's a fair chance that something will go wrong with it.

But if you know you've got a new clutch (timing belt too if the engine has to come out with the gearbox) then you've got the basis of a few more years' decent motoring.

I'm surprised the box has gone-they're usually fairly robust.

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - thunderbird

There's a lot to be said for "better the devil you know". I think it boils down to whether you like the car or not.

The monetary value of an oldish car is based on the assumption that there's a fair chance that something will go wrong with it.

But if you know you've got a new clutch (timing belt too if the engine has to come out with the gearbox) then you've got the basis of a few more years' decent motoring.

I'm surprised the box has gone-they're usually fairly robust.

Totally agree, why buy a car with unkown problems, use the money to sort the problems on yours.

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - Jase

Are you confident it's likely to get through the MOT in a couple of weeks without significant outlay? If you are unsure, then paying £800 + timing belt (as suggested by Unthrottled) for the gearbox/clutch beforehand only then to find it's needs another outlay questions whether it's worth it.

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - unthrottled

Could it be MOT'd with the duff box (ie can it get through the brake test?)?. If you've got 12 months' MOT, the job, 4 decent tyres and a tank of petrol, the balance falls in favour of getting it done.

I have decided to go with unthrottled's idea and put it through an MOT. Depending on how that turns out I will have to make a decision. Not sure why everyone keeps mentioning a timing belt, I through the MK3 2.0 petrol had a timing chain which should not need replacing?

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - carl233

It is not always about what a car is worth in terms of trade or retail value it is what the car is worth in terms of its use and value to your needs. I run a 1997 Mondeo with 260k on the clock. The car is worth less than £100 but is in great operational condition with frequent oil changes and mainly motorway driving. Despite the car being worth nothing everytime I drive in accross Europe it saves a fortune for 4 people compared to public transport.

Edited by carl233 on 13/06/2012 at 20:24

2.0 Ghia 2001 - Mondeo - worth saving? - Big John

This age of petrol MKIII Mondeo also has the dreaded "swirl flaps" or "swirl plates" or "tumble flaps" which are susceptible to falling apart and getting ingested by the engine. Sometimes this is preceded by an audible rattle, or failure is rather sudden - either way failure is usually catastrophic. Can be cheaply fixed by removing inlet manifold then extract the flaps and fill the holes (Araldite?). Other than that its a good engine with a "Cam chain".

Better the devil you know?

Edited by Big John on 15/06/2012 at 00:21