1994 1.8 Ventilation problem - HarryP
Hi, I've got a problem with a 1994 Mondeo 1.8 Auto.
The heater blower works OK but the control that is supposed to direct the airflow has a completely random effect. Also, very little air actually emerges. I've changed the pollen filter but no better. I've had a look at the control that is supposed to direct the air and it's got lots of little vacuum pipes coming out the back. According to the trusty Haynes the control is supplied with a vacuum from the engine, via an accumulator, to work the flaps on the air distribution unit. But it doesn't say any more. Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar problem, where the vacuum take off for the air distribution unit is? (inlet manifold?), where the vacuum accumulator is?, or ANY helpful info. This cold weather is really making driving hazardous!
Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/01/2010 at 10:20

Mondeo Ventilation problem - Dave N
The vacuum feed to the distribution switch is the black hose, so check if you have vacuum here first. If not, go back to the accumulator which is a round black sphere about 4" diameter sat in the engine bay somewhere (should be easy to see), from there follow the vac pipe back to the inlet manifold. Somewhere along the way you should find vacuum, and when you do, there's your problem, if not, check all the hose for cracks/kinks/disconnections.

If you do have vacuum at the switch (with the engine running of course) come back here and we can take it further.

What usually happens is the pipe gets dislodged when someone's been poking around in the engine bay for some other reason.
Mondeo Ventilation problem - HarryP
Thanks for that Dave, I'll have a look at the weekend. The prob has been driving me nuts for months now. My orginal Haynes said that the flaps were controlled by cables so I was really puzzled untl I bought an updated manual which at least described the system. Will get back to you either with heartfelt gratitude, or with further pathetic pleas, depending upon the results of my investigation. Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply. Cheers
Mondeo Ventilation problem - Andy Bee
I might have a related problem to this - three weeks ago my Mk2 Mondeo's blower had a fit and now only works on full blast or nothing. That is; it doesn't blow on selection 1,2 or 3. On 4 it's great!
Problem is, it's a real pain in this weather because it's silence (bliss) or cacophany (no conversation, radio or engine feedback).

Is it likely to be the blower switch, or could this be a vacuum issue as well?

Many Thanks

Andy Bee
Mondeo Ventilation problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like your fan speed resistor is at fault.Very common issue.Remove the glovebox and inspect the resistor and 4-pin connector and wiring.May have had a meltdown.Ford do a repair kit for around £20.hth
Mondeo Ventilation problem - Andy Bee
Many Thanks. Removing the glovebox sounds a lot less fraught than trying to pull off the fascia.
Will let you know what I find.
Andy Bee
Mondeo Ventilation problem - Dynamic Dave
Some extra info that may be of help to you:-

www.mirez.co.uk/HeaterPack.htm

Mondeo Ventilation problem - MrWhippy

MONDEO MK 2 HEATER BLOWER DIRECTION PROBLEM

Just spent about 3 days on this very problem, thought maybe writing up what happened might help someone out as this forum helped me ( a bit !) .

The heater direction control went U/S. Only worked on windscreen .
Reading the little i found on the web, it seemed to be a vacuum problem somewhere between the engine & the direction control switch on the dash. No sign of probs in engine compt although hard to see much. Can't see much of anything ( at the other end of the line) with radio console in place so bit bullet & took it out. Also trim down in footwell next to clutch pedal.

Head down in footwell looking up ( o the comfort) finally located black vacuum leads ( look like electric cable, v small bore) into & out of blower. Tube comes in from eng compt & out again to blower direction switch. ( what happens inside the blower, who knows ? ). Anyway, one of these ( with the smaller attachment) was just a pull off fit.

Opened up behind the 3 knob heater control console after much connection pulling, finally find where the vac tube comes into a T junction, one branch to blower heater direction control, the other to the A/C + temp control.

Poked guitar string through vac pipe to see if clear. ( It was a G string btw). NOT clear. Something sticky blocking tube pretty good. Could not clear w tube in place in car. Bit bullet, cut the tube near the T junction & pulled out from down by blower. It's the one w the pull off fit, luckily. ( Cannot remove w/out cutting, not enough clearance en route .). Took to kitchen. Poked around with more guitar strings, FINALLY unplgged a very small but sticky blu tac like blob of translucent blue gunk about the volume of 4 pin heads. The appallingly tiny cause of my gigantic misery.

Funny thing - up at the A/C switch there is one black (in) & 2 white (out) vac connections. The black comes from the T junction mentioned above. And the black end , inside the vac switch there, was plugged with the same blue gunk.

I read somewhere that plugging this off is sometimes a cure for this whole heater direction problem. Seems like someone had been here before ???

Anyway .... my only theory about what happened is that someone( must have been yrs ago) plugs this end of the black vac tube at the A/C temp control end with this gunk. Then at some point recently, the vacuum somehow sucked a chunk of this blue gunk through the T junction and down the long pipe down to the blower. Where it got stuck half way, b*****ing up my heating system very nicely.

Oddly, someone else somewhere posted that he too found this blue gunk clogging up the A/C end of the black vac pipe. ( Is it Ford gunk ?)

Anway, managed to rejoin the two bits of vac cable with the aid of a bit of thick walled rubber sleeve ( from an old guitar capo ...:-) that had just the right internal diameter .... using some rubber / plastic type glue, made a good ( so far! touch wood! ) seal.

Put the whole heater control console back after connecting all up ( a very time consuling & awkward process, esp the first 5 times you do it !) only to find..... the radio aerial cable was missing from the radios alcove. DAMN BLAST B&**&^*&!!!!! Had to take it all to bits again to find it. ( It had slipped down towards the floor at some point.).

Anyway, touch wood, that's the end of the story of me, the mondeo , the mysterious blue gunk, and the bits of musical instrument.

If anyone knows what the hell the blue gunk is / was, please let me know !!

Mondeo Ventilation problem - Keenobi

I have had the same problem on my mk2, I managed to fix the problem last night and thought I would post how I solved it, it may be of some help to others. I started by removing the radio and then the vac pipes from the vent selector and the fan switches, a bit fiddely but saves having to take out the entire dash!! I then disconected the other end of the black vac hose from the heater matrix box in the drivers footwell, as has been described before this just pulls off. I attached the air bed attachement to my 12V car tyre pump and then attached this to the footwell end of the vac tube, switched on and the compressor got up to about 100psi before the pressure released, I checked the vac hoses at the switch end and found I now had air coming through the fan pipe but not the vent, I repeated the process this time also covering the fan hose and again after getting up to about 100psi the pressure released as a lump of green gunk was fired out of the vent pipe. Put the whole system back together and hey presto everything is working again.

Mondeo Ventilation problem - Virgo337

If anyone knows what the hell the blue gunk is / was, please let me know !!

The green/blue gunk has come out of the AC/recirculated air/fan speed switch. It is a small moulded piece that provides a seal for a slider that goes over it to change between fresh and recirculated air.

I assume when the switch was made this piece was firm (like an eraser) but over the years has deteriorated and become like freshly chewed gum and parts of it have been sucked through the switch and pipes by the vacuum.

I had the gunk blocking my AC/recirculated air/fan speed switch and also the switch for air distribution. I found the source of the gunk after taking the AC/recirculated air/fan speed switch apart.