Ford Fiesta MK4 Saloon - Strange steering - pullgees

I have just had the LH lower arm and drop link replaced and the car steers differently than before. What happen is that when I steer round a left hand bend I can feel a slight over steer which causes me to have to correct the steering, ie turn the wheel slighty to to the right to counter. This then will make the car go to the right whereupon I have to correct to left. it's subtle not severe, but a bit unnerving. It's as if I have a very soft tyre or a loose wheel, which I haven't. Also if I go down a dip in road the car tend to whip slightly. I never noticed this before, maybe I'm getting too wary. Any clues please?

Edited by pullgees on 11/06/2012 at 09:39

Ford Fiesta MK4 Saloon - Strange steering - Peter D

Did they reset the tracking. It sounds as though it is toeing in too much. Regards Peter

Did they reset the tracking. It sounds as though it is toeing in too much. Regards Peter

No the tracking wasn't done but have booked it in to another garage to have tracking done as the one that replaced the lower arm charge £40 for tracking.

I'm keeping fingers crossed that's what the problem is although with 50 years of owning cars I have never experienced this phenomenon.

It doesn't always happen it depends on the radius of the bend and the speed I enter it. When it does happen it's a little bit like crabbing as if the rear is pushing the front round.

Ford Fiesta MK4 Saloon - Strange steering - Peter.N.

I would agree with Peter D, dont drive it to far before you have it done or it could severly wear the front tyres.

Well I've had the tracking done and the handling is as it should be. Surprising what 8mm of toe in can do, it felt like it had a mind of its own.

It cost me £27 incl, more than I had hoped but both track rod ends were seized which meant it took them a bit longer.

Ford Fiesta MK4 Saloon - Strange steering - Peter.N.

8mm is a lot in tracking terms, would soon have worn your tyres out, pleased you got it fixed anyway.

Next job anti roll bar bushes and I aint dropping the sub frame. I'm going to try and lever the brackets up after removing the front 10mm bolts, hoping the brackets don't snap . If they snap then it's garage job , no big deal.