Honda Jazz - Space saver spare wheels - flying_porker
The Honda Jazz is a pleasant little car to drive, with very good economy for a petrol car. There is only one downside - the space-saver spare wheel, which I discovered yesterday after a puncture.

This fitting, which would not be out of place on a wheel barrow or a ride-on lawnmower, is not only narrower than the normal wheel, but also has a considerably smaller diameter.

Although we had it on for no more than 20 minutes while we drove to the local tyre fitter, my wife commented how unsafe the car felt with it. It recommends a maximum speed of 80 km/h, but was unsteady at 50 km/h.

Fortunately we discovered this before we went anywhere. However I would not want to have this on a motorway; it's calling for an accident.

Many cars have these miserable little fittings. And you see plenty of cars in use with them, and they clearly have not been used to limp to the nearest tyre bay.

Two questions:
1. How come we still have tyres that can be punctured?
2. How on earth are these space-saver wheels legal when they are clearly so dangerous?
Honda Jazz - Space saver spare wheels - veryoldbear

Car manufacturers use them to save a few measly quid on the price of the car. I think they are absurd, and only marginally better than a can of squirty goo which just b*** up the tyre.

I try and buy a proper wheel from Fleabay whe landed with a car that has these ridiculous so-called "spares".

And don't get me started on headlight bulbs that can't be changed without dismantling the front end of the car ....

Oooh, I am grumpy tonight. It must be the rain ...

Honda Jazz - Space saver spare wheels - unthrottled

1. How come we still have tyres that can be punctured?

If pneumatic tyres are not to your liking, you could try solid tyres. The victorians found that whilst solid tyres were puncture proof, they were very unsatisfactory in most other respects.

2. How on earth are these space-saver wheels legal when they are clearly so dangerous?

They are clearly labelled with a 50 mph/80km/hr maximum speed which is virtually impossible to miss when fitting them.

In actual fact, the space saver tyre is much safer than its small dimensions would suggest. Some types of space saver tyre have been found have satisfactory performance at 80mph. A consistent diameter of tyre on all four wheels is important, but the width of the tyre is almost irrelevant and the preference for wide tyres owes more to appearance than anything else.

The spare wheel is seldom used and a full size spare takes up a lot of real estate. It is hardly outrageous that OEMs are pursuing alternatives. Saving a few quid is an added bonus.

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/230895/...l

Edited by unthrottled on 10/06/2012 at 22:40

Honda Jazz - Space saver spare wheels - bathtub tom

>>It recommends a maximum speed of 80 km/h, but was unsteady at 50 km/h.

I hope you fitted it as recommended in the handbook, and not at the wrong end?