Permitting car - insurance issue - lukeuk

Hello everybody,

I lend my car to my friend and he got flashed by a speed camra. I told him he can drive the car after he buy an insurance. He promissed to insure the car. I didn't have time to wait until he do it (I was rushing to work). He genuinely forgot to call them (he had lots of presure that day and I belive him). Now... the police might find out he was driving without an insurence. If that will happen am I also responsible? I made myself very clear about buying an insurence and he can admit it.

Permitting car - insurance issue - dacouch

If you lending him the car was conditional on him having / arranging insurance then you will be ok.

They always check whether they are covered or not

With regard to "they always check", are you sure? I came accross an opinion they always check insurence on car owner. If a driver is not an owner he might not be checked.

Permitting car - insurance issue - dacouch

Sorry I missed the word "don't" as in they don't always check.

Providing you lending him the car was conditional on him having insurance you are ok, if you did not make it conditional eg you just saidsomething like you can drive my car, please make sure you're covered then it's feasible you could be prosecuted

Permitting car - insurance issue - Dwight Van Driver

If the 'friend' was given instructions that he could
only use the vehicle on the condition insured it and the owner was
given that assurance then when it was used
because no Insurance was taken out then the owner did not
give permission for the use of the vehicle. In this case there
is no offence of permitting the use of a vehicle without
Insurance. This was the direction in the case
Newbury v Davis [1974].

In relation to speed offences detected by camera it would seem
that they are only interested in that offence and do nothing in
relation to document check. They have Insurance and Excise
details on computor (MIB and DVLA) against vehicle details
and a simple quick check could reveal further offences which could
be included in the 172/Noip sent out. In the case of Insurance
a £200 6 points opportunity lost.(Money Mr Osbourne, money)

dvd

Permission was conditional. I understand why my friend forgot about it and I don't blame him (obviously magistrate will have a different view on that).

What I'm worry is will he get in huge trouble for that? Driving without an insurance is one thing but does not compelling with my condition makes him a "thief"? Will that be consider a separete offence?

Permitting car - insurance issue - RT

There's a legal requirement for you to name your friend as the driver - once you've done so that's the end of your involvement in the speeding case.

If the police check/pursue the insurance status you'll need to provide a statement giving the details of your conditional permission - this will incriminate your friend but he's in doodoo whichever you do unless the police simply don't bother to check the insurance of the "nominated" driver.

Permitting car - insurance issue - Bromptonaut

The threat of a permitting charge is used in some areas to deter tales of the "my cousin was driving and he's now gone home to New Zealand" variety. It certainly was here in northants a fewyears ago when SWMBO got a ticket for failing to spot the mobile camera!!

If you name your friend as the driver and he coughs for the speeding offence insurance may never be looked at.